Showing Collections: 26 - 48 of 48
John C. Gullette Papers,
Identifier: AC 100-P
Scope and Content Collection consists of a journal kept by Gullette during a trip exploring and photographing Indian ruins in New Mexico and Arizona; a descriptive list of photographs taken on the trip; and a notebook filled with descriptions of Colorado by Gullette. Collection also includes a typescript of Gullette's journal, which details stops at Chaco Canyon, the Grand Canyon, Enchanted Mesa, and Acoma Pueblo.
John Howard Allison Forestry Journals Collection
Abstract This collection consists primarily of three journals of John Howard Allison, spanning the years 1908-1923, and covering the period of his work for the Forest Service in Arizona and New Mexico and later as a professor of forestry at the University of Minnesota. Included is Allison's Forest Service Account book for 1909-1910. Also in the collection are digital copies of five albums of photographs taken by Allison, mostly during his work for the Forest Service in Arizona, 1906-1908, but also...
Dates: ca. 1900-1926
John W. Johnson work diaries
Abstract Work diaries compiled by John W. Johnson while employed by the U.S. Forest Service. Johnson wrote a book of his experiences as a forest ranger, focusing primarily on the time he was in the Santa Fe National Forest Upper Pecos Ranger District. The book is entitled Reminiscences of a Forest Ranger, 1914-1944 which is in the collection along with a map of the Santa Fe National Forest.
Joseph Quesenberry diary
Content Description The collection includes a bound replica of the original diary belonging to Joseph "Joe" Quesenberry. The diary contains entries regarding his departure from Las Cruces to serve the United States military (Company K, 18th Infantry). The diary is Joe's firsthand account of his time serving in World War I, date span includes December 31, 1916 to March 1, 1918. Included in the collection are photocopies of various publications that pertain to Captain Quesenberry. Photocopies of publications include...
Dates: December 31, 1916 - March 1, 1918 and undated
Kenneth L. Hobbs journals
Abstract Journals kept by Dr. Kenneth L. Hobbs on his travels to Arizona, Northern Mexico, China, the Dutch East Indies, Philippines, Australia and other locations. Also includes photographs, newspaper clippings, maps, and a copy of the Philippine constitution.
Manuel Alvarez Papers,
Scope and Content Collection consists primarily of Alvarez's business, consular, and personal correspondence. Correspondents include numerous officials, customers, merchants, and suppliers in New Mexico, St. Louis, New Orleans, New York, and London. Subjects discussed include the Santa Fe Trail, trade relations between the United States and New Mexico, and New Mexico politics and statehood. Items of note are five Alvarez ledgers (1834-1855), a journal of campsites along the Santa Fe Trail, a partial English copy...
Marta Weigle Papers
Abstract The collection primarily contains scrapbooks, journals, and writings of a more personal and non-academic nature. Correspondence relates to personal as well as academic topics.
Mary C. Douglass Papers,
Identifier: AC 067
Scope and Content Collection consists primarily of a journal kept by Mary C. Douglass of Massachussetts on a train trip to Santa Fe to visit her uncle Colonel Henry Douglass and his family. Her journal describes her visit to Santa Fe from January 12 to March 5 1889, including military activities at Ft. Marcy and social life in Santa Fe. From Santa Fe she traveled to San Diego and San Francisco with journal entries describing the social life in both cities. Collection also includes a 1889 roster of the United...
Mary Grossetete Diary
Abstract The collection centers on Mary Grossete Landon’s diary, providing first-hand insight into the desperation and hardships of frontier and pioneer life in Catron County in the late nineteenth century.
Dates: 1893-1895, 2007; Majority of material found within 1893-1895
Michael Blake papers
Identifier: MSS 894 BC
Abstract This collection primarily contains writings, research, and correspondence, spanning Michael Blake’s forty year career as a professional writer.
Dates: 1949-2010; Majority of material found within 1960-2010
Nambe Community School and San Jose Demonstration School Records and Teacher's Diaries
Abstract This collection contains primarily teacher diaries from the 1935-1942 Nambe community school and San Jose Demonstration School projects. Most diaries contain student rosters, lesson plans, assignments, exams, grades, student projects (texts & drawings), flyers from contemporary organizations, as well as occasional photos, personal correspondence, notes on student behavior ("character sketches"), and student living conditions within the communities of Nambe village (not Nambe the Native...
New Mexico Office of State Treasurer Records,
Scope and Content As of 1997 collection consists of the records of the New Mexico Office of the State Treasurer (1955-1974) and its predecessor the Office of the Territorial Treasurer (1849-1911). State records include ledgers, proceedings of financial and investment boards, and administration files. Territorial records include administrative correspondence, annual reports, journals, and ledgers.
Partial finding aid.
Partial finding aid.
Nicholas Roosevelt Diary,
Identifier: AC 194-P
Scope and Content Diary contains descriptions and daily observations of Southwest Indians and landscape, the Grand Canyon, and other related topics. Nicholas Roosevelt, a cousin of Theodore Roosevelt, accompanied the U.S. President on this tour of the Southwest in the summer of 1913.
Randall Davey Collection,
Identifier: AC 057
Scope and Content This collection consists of Randall Davey's papers as well as those of his wife, Isabel, her sister, Kate H. Cullum, their siblings and their parents, John Caldwell Holt and Kate Gilbert Holt.
Royal A. Prentice Papers,
Identifier: AC 225
Scope and Content The collection consists of correspondence and related materials of Royal A. Prentice dating from the 1930s. These literary materials consist of Prentice's correspondence relative to his avid hobby of Southwestern archaeology; which included a very close association with the Museum of New Mexico's Laboratory of Anthropology.
Spanish Archives of New Mexico I,
Scope and Content Collection consists of civil land records of the Spanish and Mexican period governments of New Mexico, and materials created by the Surveyor General and Court of Private Land Claims during the process of adjudication. Includes petitions for land grants, land conveyances, wills, mine registers, records books, journals, dockets, reports, minutes, letters, and a variety of legal documents. Also within the collection is the Vigil Index, an inventory of the documents in the custody of Donaciano...
Sterling Fluharty Papers
Abstract The collection focuses on Sterling Fluharty's research and writings on Native American student movements, particularly the National Indian Youth Council. Fluharty's time as a Mormon missionary on the Navajo Indian reservation is also documented.
Sylvester Davis Diary Transcript,
Identifier: AC 058-P
Scope and Content One typescript of Davis's 1859 diary and a 1915 letter from donor Frank Clancy describing the diary. The diary was written on a journey from Illinois to New Mexico from April to October, 1859. Includes entries from a stay of several weeks working at mining camps in Colorado before Davis's party traveled south to New Mexico.
Theron Marquis Trombeau Papers,
Identifier: AC 224
Scope and Content The Theron Marquis Trombeau papers include manuscripts, publications, correspondence and journals written between 1927 and 1979. Trombeau wrote extensively about southern New Mexico. He also wrote fiction, poetry, newspaper columns and essays. Some of his works explore homosexuality.
William Blackmore Collection
Identifier: AC 018
Scope and Content The Blackmore Collection includes promotional and research material documenting his investment concerns. Blackmore was instrumental in publishing books about the Southwest, Spanish land grants, Mexican land law and United States Territorial law regarding land grants. 1932 Barbara Aitken, an anthropologist who worked with Edgar Lee Hewett, secured the Blackmore Papers for the Historical Society of New Mexico. The Charles D. Poston papers are part of the Blackmore Collection. Most of...
William Carr Lane Diary Transcript,
Identifier: AC 127-P
Scope and Content One handwritten transcript of a diary written by Lane from 1852 to 1853, and one photocopy of the transcript. The diary provides details of Lane's trip over the Santa Fe Trail from St. Louis to Santa Fe, descriptions of Santa Fe and its people, and disputes over the United States-Mexico boundary. The transcript was used by Ralph E. Twitchell in the publication of Carr's diary in 1917.
William Denison Whipple Papers
Abstract The collection contains military journals and account ledgers, maps, letters and other correspondence, photographs, an engraving and personal papers related to the military career and personal life of United States Army Major General William Denison Whipple.
Dates: 1853-1865; Majority of material found in 1853-1865
W.W.H. Davis Collection,
Identifier: AC 059
Scope and Content Collection consists of handwritten manuscripts of "El Gringo" and "The Spanish Conquest of New Mexico," a handwritten transcript of Don Antonio de OtermÃn's journal of 1681 to 1692, and three 1904 letters from Davis to L. Bradford Prince concerning the donation of these materials to the Historical Society of New Mexico. The OtermÃn journal was copied from the original during Davis's tenure as Secretary of New Mexico, and includes descriptions of the Pueblo revolt of 1680 and attempts by the...
- Fray Angélico Chávez History Library 25
- UNM Center for Southwest Research & Special Collections 13
- New Mexico State Records Center and Archives 7
- New Mexico State University Library Archives and Special Collections 3
- Clippings 12
- New Mexico -- History -- To 1848 9
- Account books 8
- New Mexico -- Description and travel 8
- New Mexico -- History -- 1848- 7
- Scrapbooks 7
- Letters 6
- Manuscripts 5
- Photographs 5
- Santa Fe (N.M.) -- Social life and customs 5
- New Mexico -- Politics and government -- 1848-1950 4
- Archaeology -- Southwest, New 3
- Colorado--Description and travel 3
- Correspondence 3
- Europe--Description and travel 3
- Genealogy 3
- Map 3
- New Mexico -- Social life and customs 3
- Poems 3
- Publications 3
- Pueblo Indians 3
- Reports 3
- Santa Fe (N.M.) -- History 3
- Santa Fe Trail 3
- Alabados 2
- Albums 2
- Americans --Mexico 2
- Annual reports 2
- Arizona--Description and travel 2
- Arizona--Description and travel -- 20th century 2
- Authors, American -- New Mexico 2
- Black-and-white photographs 2
- Ephemera 2
- Exhibition catalogs 2
- Frontier and pioneer life -- New Mexico 2
- Grand Canyon (Ariz.)--Description and travel 2
- Minutes (Records) 2
- New Mexico -- History, Military 2
- New Mexico -- Officials and employees 2
- New Mexico -- Politics and government -- To 1848 2
- Oral histories 2
- Petitions 2
- Santa Fe (N.M.) -- Commerce 2
- Santa Fe (N.M.) -- Description and travel 2
- Translations 2
- Wills 2
- Acoma (N.M.) 1
- Address books 1
- Addresses 1
- Agriculture -- Colorado 1
- Agriculture -- New Mexico 1
- Airman Mortensen 1
- Ambassadors -- United States 1
- Anton Chico Land Grant (N.M.) 1
- Apache Indians -- Government relations. 1
- Apache Indians--History--19th century 1
- Archaeology -- Mexico 1
- Archaeology -- New Mexico 1
- Archives --New Mexico--Catalogs 1
- Arizona -- Social life and customs 1
- Arizona--Description and travel -- 19th century 1
- Arizona--History -- To 1912 1
- Art--New Mexico--Santa Fe 1
- Artists -- New Mexico -- Santa Fe 1
- Authors, American -- 20th century 1
- Authors, American -- Kansas 1
- Authors, American--Southwestern States 1
- Baja California (Mexico : Peninsula) -- Exploration and discovery 1
- Bilingualism 1
- Black Range (N.M.) -- Travel 1
- Boxing-- New Mexico-- Raton 1
- Broadsides 1
- Businessmen -- New Mexico -- Santa Fe 1
- By-laws 1
- Catron County (N.M.) -- History -- 19th century 1
- Certificates 1
- Chaco Canyon (N.M.) 1
- Cloudcroft (N.M.) -- Travel 1
- Clovis (N.M.) -- Biography 1
- Clovis (N.M.) -- History -- 19th century 1
- Clovis (N.M.) -- History -- 20th century 1
- Coconino National Forest (Ariz.) 1
- Colorado--History--1876-1950 1
- Colorado--History--to 1876 1
- Colorado--Social life and customs 1
- Community and school 1
- Community schools -- New Mexico -- Nambe 1
- Confraternities -- New Mexico 1
- Constitutional History -- New Mexico 1
- Constitutional Law -- New Mexico 1
- Constitutions 1
- Conveyances 1
- Cubero (N.M.) -- Commerce 1
- Cubero (N.M.)--History 1
- Dances with wolves (Motion picture) 1
- Decrees 1
- Diamond A Ranch (Lincoln County, N.M.) 1
- Dockets 1
- Drawing 1 ∧ less
- Undetermined 27
- Spanish; Castilian 1
- Lummis, Charles Fletcher, 1859-1928 3
- Bandelier, Adolph Francis Alphonse, 1840-1914 2
- Allison, J. H. (John Howard) 1
- Anderson, Arthur J. O., 1907-1996 1
- Aubry, François Xavier, 1824-1854 1
- Bent, Charles, 1799-1847 1
- Blake, Michael, 1945-2015 1
- Carson, Kit, 1809-1868 1
- Clancy, Frank W. (Frank Willey), 1852-1928 1
- Coronado, Francisco Vásquez de, 1510-1554 1
- Davis, W. W. H. (William Watts Hart), 1820-1910 1
- Historical Society of New Mexico 1
- Hollenback, Amelia, 1877-1969 1
- Inter-Tribal Indian Ceremonial Association 1
- Kiva Club (University of New Mexico) 1
- Laboratory of Anthropology (Museum of New Mexico) 1
- Nadler, Harry, 1930-1990 1
- Thomas, B. M. (Benjamin Morris), 1843-1892 1
- Tijerina, Reies 1
- Tireman, L. S. (Loyd Spencer), 1896-1959 1
- United States. Army. Volunteer Cavalry, 1st 1 ∧ less