W.W.H. Davis Collection,
Identifier: AC 059
Scope and Content
Collection consists of handwritten manuscripts of "El Gringo" and "The Spanish Conquest of New Mexico," a handwritten transcript of Don Antonio de OtermÃn's journal of 1681 to 1692, and three 1904 letters from Davis to L. Bradford Prince concerning the donation of these materials to the Historical Society of New Mexico. The OtermÃn journal was copied from the original during Davis's tenure as Secretary of New Mexico, and includes descriptions of the Pueblo revolt of 1680 and attempts by the Spanish to reconquer New Mexico.
Language of Materials
Duplication allowed for research purposes. User responsible for all copyright compliance.
Davis was Secretary of the Territory of New Mexico from 1853 to 1854. He also wrote two books on New Mexico: "El Gringo" and "The Spainish Conquest of New Mexico." After he left the territory he became involved with the Pennsylvania Historical Society and other historical societies.
.5 Linear Feet
The manuscripts included in this collection were donated by Davis to the New Mexico Historical Society in 1881 and 1904. The OtermÃn journal was copied from the original during Davis's stay in New Mexico and later published in Hackett's Pueblo Revolt.
- Fray Angélico Chávez History Library
- The Palace of the Governors
- P.O. Box 2087
- Santa Fe, New Mexico 87504-2087, U.S.A.
- Phone: (+)505.476.5090
- Fax: (+)505.476.5093
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- URL: www.palaceofthegovernors.org
- Guide to the W.W.H. Davis Collection, 1681-1904
- Edited Full Draft
- Processed by Library Staff
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- June 28, 2004: PUBLIC "-//Museum of New Mexico::Fray Angelico Chavez History Library//TEXT (US::NmSM::AC 059::W.W.H. Davis Collection)//EN" "nmsm1ac059.sgml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.