Showing Collections: 26 - 50 of 91
Scope and Content Collection consists primarily of business records of the Historical Society of New Mexico and a broad range of historical documents. The business records include annual and biennial reports, and vouchers for the purchase of materials by the Historical Society of New Mexico. Most of the historical documents relate to political, military, and religious matters in New Mexico from the seventeenth to twentieth centuries. Includes an 1822 judgement by Cabildo president Manuel Baca quieting title to...
Dates: 1685-1930 (bulk 1830-1920)
Scope and Content The materials in the collection document Holm O. Bursum's personal life as well as his business and political careers. Correspondence, documents, and news clippings chronicle Bursum's ranching activities, his tenure as warden at the New Mexico State Penitentiary, various election campaigns, Republican Party involvements, and legislative activities. It includes documents relating to the controversial Indian Lands Bill, commonly known as the Bursum Bill. Albert B. Fall, Bronson Cutting and Elfego...
Identifier: AC 578
Scope and Content Material pertains to Howard Bryan's bi-weekly Albuquerque Tribune column “Off the Beaten Path” which ran from 1953 to 1990. This collection contains clippings of those columns as well as the correspondence and research material he used to produce the column. Material includes awards, photographs and miscellaneous items.
Dates: 1940-2000; Majority of material found in 1970s-1980s
Scope and Content Collection consists of Santiago L. Hubbell's papers, deeds to the Pajarito property, Philip Hubbell's papers, and miscellaneous family papers. Santiago's papers include correspondence, business records, military orders, and sutler records. Items included are a muster roll for Hubbell's Company of New Mexican Mounted Volunteers (1861) and a 1859 translation of Juan Jose Lucero's account of his 1847 campaign against the Navajos. Philip's papers include personal and business records. Included are...
Abstract This collection is comprised of the typed transcription of a series of letters written by James Gillespie Hamilton to his wife, Cornelia Bernard Hamilton during an overland trip from Westport, Missouri to California; August 26, 1857-April 15, 1858. Letters are copied and typed by his granddaughter, Katherine Jones Moore, and prefaced with a brief family history.
Dates: 1857 August 26-1858 April 15
Identifier: MSS -232 -SC
Abstract The James J. Webb Correspondence consists of ten hand-written letters discussing business practices and salaries related to Webb's trading business and politics in New Mexico.
Identifier: AC 044
Scope and Content Collection consists of 25 journals (1861-1868) kept by John A. Clark, Surveyor of the Territory of New Mexico, a typescript of the journals, and a Confederate Army broadside from 1862. The 25 journals contain 1,943 handwritten diary pages, 48 hand drawn maps, about 50 pages, notes, expenses, lists of distances and miscellaneous sketches. Kitty Shishkin has done the typescript copy of the journals. The journals give detailed daily accounts of the writer's official and personal...
Scope and Content Collection consists of the John Paul Delgado papers (1910-1992) and the military papers of Manuel Delgado (1774-1804). The bulk of the collection covers the years 1910-1992. John Paul Delgado papers include some materials concerning his grandfather Benjamin Read, genealogical materials concerning the Delgado Family, and various clippings and other materials concerning John Paul Delgado's acting career. Also includes black and white photographs of John Paul and the Delgado Family, photocopies of...
Dates: 1774-1992 (bulk 1910-1992)
Abstract This collection contains documents pertaining to San Rafael (New Mexico) resident and author Josephine Barela and her publication, Ojo del Gallo.
Dates: 1875-1976; Majority of material found in 1971-1975
Abstract This collection is comprised of the last will and testament of Juan Baptist Coca of Ranchos de Taos, New Mexico. It is dated 1898.
Scope and Content Collection consists of the personal papers and research materials of L. Bradford Prince. The political issues and elections series includes political cartoons and clippings, documentation on the governorship of Miguel A. Otero including the Otero-Burke-Sherman alleged public land fraud (1908), documentation on the removal of Governor Herbert Hagerman from office (1907), legislative bills (1892-1921), and clippings and notes pertaining to several New Mexico political elections. The contemporary...
Scope and Content The collection is divided into two series: Lansing Bloom Personal Papers/AGI Research and the John Gregory Bourke Papers. The Bloom series, which is box 1 of the collection, contains Bloom's private papers and descriptive lists of hundreds of documents pertaining to Northern Mexico, New Mexico and Southwest history from the AGI that Bloom located and copied. The numbers in the lists that he assigned to the documents also appear on the photostats of the documents themselves in the...
Dates: 1540-1946 (bulk 1870-1946)
Scope and Content Collection consists of the research files of Lucien A. File. Included are research documents, index cards, maps, black and white photographs, and an unfinished manuscript pertaining to mining in New Mexico. A timetable of the history of New Mexico mining is contained within the manuscript. Subjects included are ghost towns, inhabited towns, counties, forts, mining history and locations, and New Mexican history. Also included are clippings pertaining to nearly 300 prominent New Mexicans. Related...
Scope and Content Collection consists primarily of Alvarez's business, consular, and personal correspondence. Correspondents include numerous officials, customers, merchants, and suppliers in New Mexico, St. Louis, New Orleans, New York, and London. Subjects discussed include the Santa Fe Trail, trade relations between the United States and New Mexico, and New Mexico politics and statehood. Items of note are five Alvarez ledgers (1834-1855), a journal of campsites along the Santa Fe Trail, a partial English copy...
Identifier: AC 039
Scope and Content The Manuel Antonio Chaves papers contain correspondence and transcriptions concerning Manuel Antonio Chaves' ancestry and military career. Much of the correspondence is written by his son, Amado Chaves. Marc Simmons assembled the addenda to the Manuel Antonio Chaves Collection. The file contains copies of documentation of Manuel Antonio Chaves' military career between 1861 and 1863.
Most of the papers in this collection are xerox copies.
Most of the papers in this collection are xerox copies.
Scope and Content The collection primarily contains notes taken in preparation for writing, "New Mexico's Fight for Statehood, 1895-1912," which appeared in the New Mexico Historical Review from 1939 to 1943. It includes biographical data on Miguel Antonio Otero, Harvey Butler Fergusson, Thomas B. Catron, Herbert Hagerman, Shandon Bernard Rodey and others; excerpts from newspapers; quotations from documents; and correspondence with those involved in the statehood fight...
Dates: 1890-1943 (bulk 1890-1912)
Scope and Content Collection consists of original documents, translations, and photostats primarily concerning people and events in New Mexico and Mexico. Documents on New Mexico include a 1681 journal of Antonio de Otermin relating to the Pueblo Revolt of 1680; a photostat of a 1710 royal decree by the Duke of Albuquerque suppressing a bible printed in London; and the report of a 1749 investigation by Governor Tomas Velez de Cachupin regarding French incursions into Taos, New Mexico. English translations...
Identifier: AC 152
Scope and Content Mauro Montoya Collection documents significant episodes of New Mexico history during the eighteenth, nineteenth and twentieth centuries. The documents are divided into the four main periods: Spanish period, The Mexican period, U.S. Territorial period (incl. U.S. military occupation), New Mexico Statehood period.
Scope and Content This collection documents the operations of the Maxwell Land Grant Company, primarily in New Mexico. It contains 75 bound volumes of letters; 83 bound volumes of ledgers, cash books, journals, etc., and 2 scrapbooks. There are 85 archival boxes containing bank statements, cancelled checks, land contracts, financial statements, correspondence, maps, leases, legal documents, vouchers, receipts, and annual reports of the Maxwell Land Grant Co. and its related business enterprises. The Maxwell...
Identifier: AC 630-p
Scope and Content Receipt from Mora County, Territory of New Mexico, is dated March 16, 1904, made payable to Antonio Leyba in the amount of $25.00, "por un mas de escuela al Distrito." Receipt is signed by the County Clerk and the Chairman of the School Directors for District 16, and approved by the County Superintendent on April 22, 1904.
Scope and Content As of 1997 collection consists of records of the New Mexico Adjutant General, National Guard, and Office of Military Affairs (1847-1988). Includes administrative correspondence, field reports, general and special orders, ledger books, enlistment and discharge documents, casualty records, photographs, clippings, muster rolls from New Mexico volunteer militias and National Guard (1847-1917), and annual reports for various years between 1875 and 1962. Much of the material concerns the involvement...
Scope and Content Collection consists of records of the New Mexico American Revolution Bicentennial Commission (1969-1977). Includes annual and other reports, administrative correspondence, promotional documents, clippings, audio tapes, and video tapes. Much of the material concerns local projects and events throughout New Mexico, including documents on federal and state funding for these activities.
Scope and Content As of 1997 collection consists of records of the New Mexico Attorney General and the New Mexico Solicitor General (1892-1995). Includes case files, administrative correspondence, annual reports, legal opinions, letterpress copybooks, financial documents, extraditions, and various legal documents. Materials in the collection concern both general issues such as civil rights and consumer protection, and specific matters such as the 1980 riot at the state penitentiary, and the activities of Alianza...
Scope and Content As of 1999, collection consists of records of the New Mexico Board of Nursing and its predecessors: the Board of Nurses' Examiners; and the Board of Examiners for Graduate Nurses (1932-1984). Includes minutes (1977-1983); reports (1955-1974), annual reports (1969-1984); bulletins (1971-1984); a manual for schools of nursing (1965); a roster of nurses (1966); rules and regulations (1939-1977); and financial papers (1932-1979), including audits (1932-1968). Records include some certificates and...
Scope and Content Collection consists of records of the New Mexico Capitol Buildings Improvement Commission and other territorial and state agencies charged with the duties of construction, maintenance, improvement, and supervision of territorial and state government buildings and lands, particularly those located in the state capital of Santa Fe (1853-1968). Includes records of the New Mexico Public Buildings Commission (1853-1873); Capitol Rebuilding Commission (1892-1901); Capitol Custodian Committee...
- New Mexico State Records Center and Archives 39
- UNM Center for Southwest Research & Special Collections 32
- Fray Angélico Chávez History Library 20
- New Mexico -- History -- 1848- 85
- New Mexico -- Politics and government -- 1848-1950 39
- New Mexico -- Officials and employees 26
- Reports 25
- New Mexico -- History -- To 1848 24
- New Mexico -- Politics and government -- 1951- 24
- State government records 22
- Administrative agencies -- New Mexico 21
- Minutes (Records) 18
- Annual reports 17
- Clippings 17
- Publications 16
- Territorial records 15
- Financial records 12
- Account books 10
- Diaries 9
- New Mexico -- Politics and government 9
- New Mexico -- Description and travel 7
- Scrapbooks 7
- Certificates 6
- Legal documents 6
- Manuscripts 6
- Wills 6
- Frontier and pioneer life -- New Mexico 5
- New Mexico -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 5
- New Mexico -- History, Military 5
- New Mexico -- Politics and government -- To 1848 5
- New Mexico -- Social life and customs 5
- Orders (military records) 5
- Photographs 5
- Santa Fe (N.M.) -- History 5
- Elections -- New Mexico 4
- Map 4
- Maxwell Land Grant (N.M. and Colo.) 4
- Mines and mineral resources -- New Mexico 4
- New Mexico -- History -- 1848-1950 4
- New Mexico -- Militia 4
- Black-and-white photographs 3
- Conveyances 3
- Correspondence 3
- Deeds 3
- Family papers 3
- Folklore -- New Mexico 3
- Governors -- New Mexico 3
- Indians of North America -- New Mexico 3
- Inventories 3
- Land tenure -- New Mexico 3
- Letters 3
- Lincoln County (N.M.) -- History 3
- Navajo Indians -- Wars 3
- Newsletters 3
- Newspapers 3
- Press releases 3
- Taos (N.M.) -- History 3
- Water rights -- New Mexico 3
- Addresses 2
- Alabados 2
- Americans -- Mexico 2
- Audits 2
- Authors, American -- New Mexico 2
- Bills, Legislative 2
- Bonds (legal records) 2
- Broadsides 2
- Budgets 2
- Cities and towns -- New Mexico 2
- Courts -- New Mexico 2
- Directories 2
- Education -- New Mexico 2
- Education --New Mexico 2
- Ephemera 2
- Executive departments -- New Mexico 2
- Frontier and pioneer life--West (U.S.) 2
- Governors--New Mexico 2
- Hispanic Americans -- New Mexico 2
- Historians -- New Mexico 2
- Hymns 2
- Indian agents -- New Mexico -- Correspondence 2
- Indians of North America -- Government relations -- Sources 2
- Land grants -- New Mexico 2
- Land titles -- Registration and transfer -- New Mexico 2
- Laws 2
- Lawyers -- New Mexico 2
- Legal files 2
- Letterpress copybooks 2
- Manuals 2
- Microfilms 2
- Mines and mineral resources --New Mexico 2
- Mining corporations -- New Mexico 2
- Muster rolls 2
- Natural resources--New Mexico 2
- Navajo Indians -- History -- 19th century 2
- New Mexico -- Commerce 2
- New Mexico -- Religious life and customs 2
- New Mexico's Digital Collections 2
- Oral histories 2
- Outlaws -- New Mexico 2
- Pioneers--West (U.S.)--Correspondence 2
- Political campaigns -- New Mexico 2
- Proclamations 2
- Public lands --New Mexico 2 ∧ less
- English 84
- Undetermined 55
- Spanish; Castilian 13
- Chinese 1
- Japanese 1
- Baca, Elfego, 1864-1945 5
- Otero, Miguel Antonio, 1859-1944 4
- Prince, L. Bradford (Le Baron Bradford), 1840-1922 4
- Cutting, Bronson M., 1888-1935 3
- Tingley, Clyde 3
- Armijo family 2
- Billy, the Kid 2
- Fall, Albert B. (Albert Bacon), 1861-1944 2
- Federal Writers' Project. New Mexico 2
- Fray Angélico Chávez History Library 2
- Historical Society of New Mexico 2
- Keleher family 2
- Keleher, William A. (William Aloysius), 1886-1972 2
- University of New Mexico 2
- University of New Mexico. Center for Southwest Research 2
- Alfonsín, Raúl, 1927-2009 1
- Alianza Federal de las Mercedes 1
- All Indian Pueblo Council 1
- Anderson, Arthur J. O., 1907-1996 1
- Anderson, Clinton Presba, 1895-1975 1
- Archivo General de la Nación (Mexico) 1
- Armijo, Rafael, b. 1815 1
- Armstrong, Ruth W. 1
- Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railroad Company 1
- Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway Company 1
- Aubry, François Xavier, 1824-1854 1
- Axtell, Samuel B. (Samuel Beach), 1819-1891 1
- Bandelier, Adolph Francis Alphonse, 1840-1914 1
- Bent, Charles, 1799-1847 1
- Bloom, Lansing Bartlett, 1880- 1
- Bourke, John Gregory, 1846-1896 1
- Carson, Kit, 1809-1868 1
- Cassidy, Ina Sizer, 1869-1965 1
- Catron, Thomas Benton, 1840-1921 1
- Charles Ilfeld Company 1
- Chavez, Angelico, 1910-1996 1
- Civilian Conservation Corps (U.S.) 1
- Clarke, Charles Francis, 1827-1862 1
- Clever, Charles P., 1830-1874 1
- Davis, W. W. H. (William Watts Hart), 1820-1910 1
- De Aragon, Ray John 1
- Democratic Party (N.M.) 1
- Dillon, Richard Charles, 1877-1966 1
- Dissette, Mary E. 1
- Ellis, Bruce T., 1903- 1
- Fergusson, Erna, 1888-1964 1
- Hagerman, Herbert J. (Herbert James), 1871-1935 1
- Hammond, George P. (George Peter), 1896-1993 1
- Hurd, Peter, 1904-1984 1
- Lummis, Charles Fletcher, 1859-1928 1
- Maxwell Land Grant Company 1
- Maxwell Land Grant and Railway Co 1
- Minge, Ward Alan 1
- Mitchell, Albert K., b. 1894 1
- Navajo and Hopi Indian Relocation Commission 1
- New Mexico Magazine 1
- New Mexico. Bureau of Immigration 1
- New Mexico. Coronado Cuarto Centennial Commission 1
- New Mexico. Department of Education 1
- Ortiz, Frank V., 1926-2005 1
- Otero-Stinson family 1
- Pyle, Ernie, 1900-1945 1
- Renehan, Alois B., 1869-1928 1
- Roosevelt, Theodore, 1858-1919 1
- School of American Research (Santa Fe, N.M.) 1
- Simmons, Marc, 1937- 1
- Stinson, Edward A 1
- Stinson, Katherine, 1891-1977 1
- Stinson, Majorie C 1
- Thorp, N. Howard (Nathan Howard), 1867-1940 1
- United States. Bureau of Indian Affairs 1
- United States. Bureau of Mines 1
- United States. Work Projects Administration 1
- University of New Mexico. University Libraries 1
- Wilder, Thornton, 1897-1975 1 ∧ less