L. Bradford Prince Papers,
Scope and Content
Collection consists of the personal papers and research materials of L. Bradford Prince. The political issues and elections series includes political cartoons and clippings, documentation on the governorship of Miguel A. Otero including the Otero-Burke-Sherman alleged public land fraud (1908), documentation on the removal of Governor Herbert Hagerman from office (1907), legislative bills (1892-1921), and clippings and notes pertaining to several New Mexico political elections. The contemporary New Mexicans series consists of correspondence, clippings, and documents on various New Mexicans. Persons included are cowboy poet Jack Crawford and Albert B. Fall, a politician involved in the Teapot Dome Scandal. The contemporary issues series discusses the Santa Fe Ring, the Penitente Brotherhood, Pueblo Indians, Hispano-Anglo interactions, taxation, and education. The historical notes and events series pertains to archaeological ruins, Santa Fe social life, the Palace of the Governors, the Maxwell Land Grant, and various other subjects. The historical documents series includes several devotionals (1744-1892), government documents from the Spanish and Mexican periods including royal decrees, and miscellaneous personal documents from various New Mexicans. Also included are papers pertaining to Prince's tenure on the Board of Regents for the New Mexico College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts.
Some materials are in Spanish.
Some materials are in Spanish.
Language of Materials
Limited duplication allowed for research purposes. User is responsible for all copyright compliance.
L. Bradford Prince served as Chief Justice of the New Mexico Territorial Supreme Court (1879-1888) and as Governor of the Territory of New Mexico (1889-1893). He was also an historian who served on the Board of Regents for the New Mexico College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts (1902) and as President of the Historical Society of New Mexico (1923).
4.5 Linear Feet
Organized into five series
- I. Political issues and elections (1882-1921)
- II. Contemporary New Mexicans (1867-1921)
- III. Contemporary issues (1844-1922)
- IV. Historical notes and events (1881-1922)
- V. Historical documents (1744-1917)
Portions of the collection are also available on microfilm.
Photographs received with the collection are housed and cataloged separately.
- New Mexico State Records Center and Archives
- Archives and Historical Services Division
- 1205 Camino Carlos Rey
- Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505
- Phone: 505-476-7908
- Fax: 505-476-7909
- Email: email@example.com
- URL: http://www.state.nm.us/cpr/ahsd_top.htm
- Celebrities --New Mexico
- Cowboys --Poetry
- Education --New Mexico
- Fall, Albert B. (Albert Bacon), 1861-1944
- Fort Marcy (N.M.)
- Fraud --New Mexico
- Governors --New Mexico
- Hagerman, Herbert J. (Herbert James), 1871-1935
- Maxwell Land Grant (N.M. and Colo.)
- New Mexico -- History -- 1848-
- New Mexico -- History -- To 1848
- New Mexico -- Politics and government -- 1848-1950
- Public lands --New Mexico
- Pueblo Indians --History
- Santa Fe (N.M.) --Social life and customs
- Taxation --New Mexico--19th century
- Teapot Dome Scandal, 1921-1924
- Inventory of the L. Bradford Prince Papers, 1744-1922
- Edited Full Draft
- Processed by Louellen Martinez
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- June 28, 2004: PUBLIC "-//New Mexico State Records Center and Archives//TEXT (US::Nm-Ar::1959-174::L. Bradford Prince Papers)//EN" "nmar1959-174.sgml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.