Holm O. Bursum Papers
Scope and Content
Language of Materials
Bursum began his political career when he was elected Sheriff of Socorro County, serving from 1894-1898. He was a member of the Territorial Senate in 1899 and 1900 and served as head of the Appropriations and Finance Committee. In 1899, he was appointed warden of the New Mexico State Penitentiary, a post that he held for seven years. Bursum was mayor of Socorro from 1906-1918. He was very active in the Republican party as a delegate to the Republican National Conventions in 1904, 1908, 1912, and 1928; he served as Chairman of the Republican Territorial Central Committee from 1905-1911. As delegate to the 1908 convention, Bursum was largely responsible for the Republican plank advocating statehood for New Mexico. He was Republican Floor Leader at the New Mexico Constitutional Convention in 1910. In 1919 he was made a member of the Republican National Committee representing New Mexico, and was reelected to the same position the following year.
In 1911 and 1916, Bursum lost elections for governor. In 1921, he was appointed to fill the seat vacated when Albert B. Fall resigned from the U.S. Senate. Later that same year, Bursum was elected for a full term. He was active as Chairman of the Senate Committee on Pensions. He unsuccessfully attempted to pass federal legislation which would have reduced the size of Pueblo landholdings in New Mexico by awarding disputed lands to non-Indian claimants.
When he retired in 1925, he devoted much of his time to supervising operations at his ranch. Holm O. Bursum died in Colorado Springs, CO on August 7, 1953.
20 boxes (7.35 cu. ft.), plus 2 volumes, plus 1 oversized folder
Collection Available Online
Relevant Secondary Sources
- Historical Encyclopedia of New Mexico. Volume 1. Albuquerque: New Mexico Historical Association, 1945.
- Reader's Encyclopedia of the American West. New York: Harper and Row, 1977.
- Moorman, Donald. "Political Biography of Holm O. Bursum, 1899-1924." Thesis, University of New Mexico, 1962.
- Baca, Elfego, 1864-1945
- Cutting, Bronson M., 1888-1935
- Electioneering -- New Mexico
- Fall, Albert B. (Albert Bacon), 1861-1944
- Legislation -- New Mexico
- Legislation -- United States
- New Mexico -- History -- 1848-
- New Mexico -- Politics and government
- New Mexico -- Politics and government -- 1848-1950
- New Mexico's Digital Collections
- Political campaigns -- New Mexico
- Politicians -- New Mexico
- Prison wardens -- New Mexico
- Pueblo Indians -- Land tenure
- Pueblo Indians -- New Mexico
- Ranch life -- New Mexico -- Socorro County
- Socorro County (N.M.) -- History
- United States -- History -- 1919-1933
- Finding Aid of the Holm O. Bursum Papers, 1873-1936
- Processed by CSWR staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- June 28, 2004: PUBLIC "-//University of New Mexico::Center for Southwest Research//TEXT (US::NmU::MSS 92 BC::Holm O. Bursum Papers)//EN" "nmu1mss92bc.sgml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.
Part of the UNM Center for Southwest Research & Special Collections Repository
University of New Mexico Center for Southwest Research & Special Collections
University Libraries, MSC05 3020
1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque NM 87131