Skip to main content

New Mexico Capitol Buildings Improvement Commission Records,

 Collection
Identifier: 1972-004

Scope and Content

Collection consists of records of the New Mexico Capitol Buildings Improvement Commission and other territorial and state agencies charged with the duties of construction, maintenance, improvement, and supervision of territorial and state government buildings and lands, particularly those located in the state capital of Santa Fe (1853-1968). Includes records of the New Mexico Public Buildings Commission (1853-1873); Capitol Rebuilding Commission (1892-1901); Capitol Custodian Committee (1905-1927); Capitol Addition Commission (1924); and the Capitol Buildings Improvement Commission (1945-1968). Records consist of minutes, reports, plans, contracts, vouchers, abstracts, deeds, photographs, correspondence, journals, inventories, legal opinions, legislative bills, and publications.

Partial finding aid.

Dates

  • 1853-1968

Language of Materials

English.

Access Restrictions

Access is restricted to territorial records that have been microfilmed. Use microfilm only.

Copy Restrictions

Limited duplication allowed for research purposes. User is responsible for all copyright compliance.

Historical Note

Records concerning New Mexico's official public buildings begin with an act of the Legislative Assembly in 1853 authorizing a Board of Commissioners of Public Buildings and a Superintendent of Public Buildings. (1853 Laws of N.M.). The Capitol Custodian Committee was established in 1884 (1884 Laws of N.M., Chp. 58, Sec. 1-9). The Capitol Addition Commission was established in 1921 (1921 Laws of N.M., Chp. 81, Sec. 1-14). The Capitol Buildings Improvement Commission was established in 1945 (1945 Laws of N.M. Laws, Chp. 53, Sec. 1-13). It was authorized to alter, reconstruct, and redesign the Capitol building, and to erect additional buildings for the use of the legislative and executive departments of New Mexico state government, duties similar to those previously performed from time to time by various territorial and state authorities. In 1968 a legislative act established the Property Control Division within the New Mexico Department of Finance and Administration, and consolidated within that Division responsibility for state government buildings (1968 Laws of N.M., Chp. 43, Sec. 1-11).

Extent

16 Linear Feet

Alternate Format

Records of territorial building authorities (1853-1901) also available on microfilm as part of the Territorial Archives of New Mexico (Roll 97).

General

Contact Information

  1. New Mexico State Records Center and Archives
  2. Archives and Historical Services Division
  3. 1205 Camino Carlos Rey
  4. Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505
  5. Phone: 505-476-7908
  6. Fax: 505-476-7909
  7. Email: archives@rain.state.nm.us
  8. URL: http://www.state.nm.us/cpr/ahsd_top.htm
Title
Inventory of the New Mexico Capitol Buildings Improvement Commission Records, 1853-1968
Status
Edited Full Draft
Author
Processed by staff
Date
©2000
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
Finding aid is in English

Revision Statements

  • June 28, 2004: PUBLIC "-//New Mexico State Records Center and Archives//TEXT (US::Nm-Ar::1972-004::New Mexico Capitol Buildings Improvement Commission Records)//EN" "nmar1972-004.sgml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
  • Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.

Repository Details

Part of the New Mexico State Records Center and Archives Repository

Contact:
1209 Camino Carlos Rey
Santa Fe NM 87507
(505) 476-7913