New Mexico Adjutant General Records,
Scope and Content
As of 1997 collection consists of records of the New Mexico Adjutant General, National Guard, and Office of Military Affairs (1847-1988). Includes administrative correspondence, field reports, general and special orders, ledger books, enlistment and discharge documents, casualty records, photographs, clippings, muster rolls from New Mexico volunteer militias and National Guard (1847-1917), and annual reports for various years between 1875 and 1962. Much of the material concerns the involvement of New Mexican military forces in conflicts such as the Civil War, Indian Wars, Spanish-American War, World War I, World War II, Korean War, and Vietnam Conflict. Also within the collection are materials on forts and armories in New Mexico, including documents from the State Armory Board and the State Council of Defense's Board of Historical Service.
Partial finding aid.
Partial finding aid.
Language of Materials
Access to original territorial records restricted; Use microfilm only (Territorial Archives of New Mexico).
Limited duplication allowed for research purposes. User is responsible for all copyright compliance.
In 1852 a legislative act granted the Governor authority to call into service a militia and appoint a temporary Adjutant General (1852 Laws of N.M.). In 1897 a legislative act established the Office of Adjutant General (1897 Laws of N.M., Chp. 50, Sec. 5). The same 1897 legislative act also established the New Mexico National Guard (1897 Laws of N.M., Chp. 50, Sec. 2). In 1969 a legislative act established the Office of Military Affairs and appointed the Adjutant General as its Director (1969 Laws of N.M., Chp. 33, Sec. 2-3). The Adjutant General reports to the Governor and is responsible for supervising both the National Guard and the Office of Military Affairs.
100 Linear Feet
Territorial records of the Adjutant General (1847-1911) are available on microfilm as part of the Territorial Archives of New Mexico (Rolls 73-88).
- New Mexico State Records Center and Archives
- Archives and Historical Services Division
- 1205 Camino Carlos Rey
- Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505
- Phone: 505-476-7908
- Fax: 505-476-7909
- Email: email@example.com
- URL: http://www.state.nm.us/cpr/ahsd_top.htm
- Account books
- Administrative agencies -- New Mexico
- Annual reports
- Armories --New Mexico
- Fortification --New Mexico
- Indians of North America --New Mexico--Wars
- Korean War, 1950-1953
- Minutes (Records)
- Muster rolls
- New Mexico -- History -- 1848-
- New Mexico -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- New Mexico -- History -- To 1848
- New Mexico -- History, Military
- New Mexico -- Militia
- New Mexico -- Officials and employees
- New Mexico -- Politics and government
- Soldiers --New Mexico.
- Spanish-American War, 1898
- State government records
- Vietnamese Conflict, 1961-1975
- World War, 1914-1918
- World War, 1939-1945
- Inventory of the New Mexico Adjutant General Records, 1847-[ongoing]
- Edited Full Draft
- Processed by staff
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- June 28, 2004: PUBLIC "-//New Mexico State Records Center and Archives//TEXT (US::Nm-Ar::1973-019::New Mexico Adjutant General Records)//EN" "nmar1973-019.sgml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.