Showing Collections: 1 - 25 of 32
Albuquerque Photograph Collection
Abstract The Albuquerque Photograph Collection is comprised of photographic prints, negatives, and postcards, depicting Albuquerque locations, landmarks, persons, and events.
Dates: 1881-1986; Majority of material found within 1900s, 1920s, 1950s, 1960s
Ann Nolan Clark Native American Education Papers
Scope and Content The collection consists of materials related to the education of Native American children, including administrative documents, curriculum materials, teacher guides, and mimeographed compilations of work written and produced by students. Most items are specific to the Southwest, with a few from the Mountain West and Great Plains. Some touch on the role and effects of World War II on native populations. Some of the curriculum texts are hand-colored by the students who used them. Ann...
Dates: 1935-1979; Majority of material found within 1942-1945
E.H. Plummer Papers,
Scope and Content Collection consists of papers of E.H. Plummer. Included are correspondence, reports, clippings, photographs, a diary, and published materials. Subjects included are E.H. Plummer's military career, the Navajos, Protestant missionary activity on the Navajo Reservation, Native American education, and Santa Fe, New Mexico. Items of note are documents concerning the Welch murder on the Navajo Reservation, Bishop J. Mills Kendrick's missionary progress report (1897), Elizabeth W. Thackra's letters as...
Dates: 1888-1937 (bulk, 1888-1897)
Elizabeth Willis DeHuff Pictorial Collection
Abstract Photographs of Hispanic and Indian peoples, landscapes, and cultural life of New Mexico from the 1920s to approximately 1945.
Fort Wingate, N.M. Collection
Abstract The collection consists of correspondence, newspaper clippings, magazine articles, meeting minutes, booklets and newsletters relating to Fort Wingate and the community of Fort Wingate. Much of the material relates to Paul and Patti Merrill. Paul Merrill ran the Fort Wingate Trading Post and Patti Merrill served as Postmaster for Fort Wingate.
Francis Cushman Wilson Papers on Pueblo Legal Issues
Scope and Content Pamphlet prepared by the Indian Rights Association. (Box 1, Folder 7). This collection focuses on Pueblo Indian legal issues that Francis Wilson was involved with as a private attorney, following his tenure as U.S. Attorney for the Pueblo Indians. Government publications on Pueblo Indian lands, prohibition, irrigation, and Indian schools form the bulk of this collection. Additionally, there is a transcript of the New Mexico Supreme Court Case,...
Frank Waters Pictorial Collection
Abstract Portraits of Frank Waters, his family, friends and home; as well as prints of Native Americans, landscapes, and ruins.
Glenn Leonidas Emmons Papers
Scope and Content The Glenn L. Emmons papers primarily document Emmons' tenure as Commissioner of Indian Affairs (1953-1961). The collection also contains biographical background, personal miscellany, and a small amount of banking-related materials. The collection is divided into the following series: Personal Papers Indian Affairs - Appointment correspondence and speeches Indian Affairs -...
Dates: 1922-1983; Majority of material found in 1953-1960
Heinrich Shultz Albuquerque Indian School Photograph Album
Scope and Content The Albuquerque Indian Boarding School photograph album includes approximately 180 photographs, labeled by Heinrich Shultz. Photographs depict students, classes, teachers, buildings, and athletes Most photos relate to the Albuquerque Indian School, however there are several that depict Zuni Day School.
Horatio O. Ladd Papers
Scope and Content This collection of 177 items, dated 1839-1932 with the bulk covering 1881-1887, focuses primarily on the Ladd family, their friends and colleagues, the Ramona School, and the University of New Mexico at Santa Fe. Ladd's autobiographical notes and diary, covering 1881-1884, concern the founding of the University of New Mexico at Santa Fe and the Ramona School. The correspondence mostly concerns raising funds for the University of New Mexico at Santa Fe, and contains letters in support of Indian...
Dates: 1879-1932 (bulk 1881-1887)
Horatio Oliver Ladd Photograph Collection
Abstract This large and varied collection focuses primarily on the Ladd family and their friends and colleagues, the Ramona School, and the University of New Mexico.
IAIA Records--Compiled by Chuck Dailey
Abstract IAIA Records, 1961 consists of reports and public relations materials related to the activities of IAIA during the year 1961.
Dates: 1961; Majority of material found in 1961
Found in: Institute of American Indian Arts
Isabel L. Eckles Collection,
Identifier: AC 071
Scope and Content Included in this collection are Isabel Eckles' memorabilia, personal correspondence and papers pertaining to her various interests. Among the photocopied documents are memoirs written by Addison M. Williams and edited by E. Dana Johnson including poems, short stories, and a 79 page autobiography titled: "My Yesterdays: The Autobiography of an Ordinary Citizen: A Narrative of Early Days from Ohio to Old Santa Fe and Montana. Sidelights on the Formative Period in Some Far Western...
Found in: Fray Angélico Chávez History Library
Kay Cole Papers
Scope and Content The majority of this collection represents Kay Cole's involvement with Dennis Banks and American Indian issues, dating from the 1970's. The collection is divided into 9 overlapping series. D-Q University contains materials related to D-Q (Deganawidah Quetzacoatl) University, an accredited, Indian controlled Indian/Chicano college which was established in Davis, California in 1971 and continues to operate today. Dennis Banks was a student, an instructor,...
LaDonna Harris Papers and Americans for Indian Opportunity Records
Abstract The collection consists of documents from LaDonna Harris' life as an activist and from AIO's four decades of operation as a non-profit organization involved in advocacy and development projects related to the needs and rights of Native Americans.
Dates: 1953-2010; Majority of material found within 1970-2000
Laurens C. Bolles Photograph Collection
Abstract Collection includes two loosely bound albums containing excellent photographs of Pueblo Indians of New Mexico taken 1936-38 for the U.S. Soil Conservation Service. Collection also contains an aerial view of the Albuquerque Indian School and the first interstate conference for high schools on soil conservation. Personal photos include portraits of Bolles and family, his home and its gardens.
Lee Marmon Pictorial Collection
Abstract This collection contains photographs taken by Lee Marmon throughout his life. These include images of elders and community members from Laguna and Acoma Pueblos, visual documentation of uranium mines and mills throughout New Mexico, photos of fashion and social life in 1960s and 1970s Palm Springs, CA, among other things.
National Indian Youth Council Records
Abstract This collection contains the records of the National Indian Youth Council. The records relate to administrative and organizational issues and activities such as voting rights protection, American Indian religious freedom issues, political participation projects, treaty rights protection, public education, international work, and job training/placement.
Dates: 1935-2000 (bulk 1961-1993)
Native American Oral History Program Interviews - UNM Affiliates
Abstract The collection consists of oral history interviews designed to shed light on the history, culture, and relationships between Native Americans and the University of New Mexico from the 1920s to the present.
Native American Programs Series
Abstract Contains close to one hundred video recordings of programs related to Native American contemporary issues.
Dates: 1999-2017; Majority of material found in 2003-2010
New Mexico Department of Education Records,
Scope and Content As of 1997 collection consists of records of the New Mexico Department of Education, State Board of Education, State Superintendent of Public Instruction, and their predecessors the Territorial Board of Education, Territorial Superintendent of Schools,and Superintendent of Public Instruction (1847-1988).Includes annual and other reports, minutes, administrative correspondence, directories, certificates, legal documents, laws, rules, one scrapbook of clippings (1905-1908), and one letterpress...
New Mexico Indian Education Association Records
Abstract MS013 consists of materials originating from the New Mexico Indian Education Association's administrative and publication activities.
Dates: 1981-2009; Majority of material found in 1990-1995
Found in: Institute of American Indian Arts
Oral history interview with Theda Rushing
Abstract Rushing discusses her experiences working with Ann Nolan Clark, Sophie Aberle, Felix Cohen, and developing a home-based sewing business.
Dates: 2005 September 9
Richard W. D. Bryan Family Papers, 1844-1939
Scope and Content The collection contains miscellaneous Albuquerque Indian School documents and a scrapbook containing newspaper clippings concerning the institution. There is an assortment of legal records dealing with New Mexico land grants and property transfer for the Robert H. Longwell Land Case, 1909-1912, regarding the Antonio Baca Grant and Borrego Springs Grant and the Cazin Property Case, 1844-1908. There is a wide variety of printed ephemera dealing with schools, churches and civic organizations, some...
Richard W. D. Bryan Photograph Collection
Abstract Photographs of R. W. D. Bryan, teachers, and students of the Albuquerque Indian School and the University of New Mexico as well as buildings and mining operations in New Mexico.
- Subject: Indians of North America -- Education X
- UNM Center for Southwest Research & Special Collections 27
- Institute of American Indian Arts 2
- New Mexico State Records Center and Archives 2
- Fray Angélico Chávez History Library 1
- Indians of North America -- Education 13
- Indians of North America -- Pictorial works 6
- Photographs 5
- Clippings 4
- Indians of North America -- Education -- New Mexico -- History 3
- Indians of North America -- Government relations 3
- Navajo Indians 3
- Navajo Indians -- Education 3
- Navajo Indians -- Pictorial works 3
- Oral histories 3
- Sound recordings 3
- Albumen prints 2
- Boarding Schools -- New Mexico -- History 2
- Cartes-de-visite (card photographs) 2
- Certificates 2
- Drawing 2
- Indian reservations -- United States 2
- Indians of North America -- Civil rights 2
- Indians of North America -- Cultural assimilation 2
- Indians of North America -- Education -- New Mexico 2
- Indians of North America -- Education -- Pictorial works 2
- Indians of North America -- Ethnic Identity 2
- Indians of North America -- Government relations -- 1934- 2
- Indians of North America -- Land tenure 2
- Indians of North America -- Legal status, laws, etc. 2
- Indians of North America -- Medical care 2
- Indians of North America -- Politics and government 2
- Indians of North America -- Social conditions 2
- Indians of North America -- Treaties 2
- Indians of North America--Education--History--20th century 2
- Indians of North America--Education--New Mexico 2
- Interviews 2
- Minutes (Records) 2
- Multicultural education--New Mexico 2
- Mural painting and decoration 2
- Photograph albums 2
- Pine Ridge Indian Reservation (S.D.) 2
- Portraits 2
- Publications 2
- Pueblos -- New Mexico -- Pictorial works 2
- Scrapbooks 2
- Wounded Knee (S.D.) -- History -- Indian occupation, 1973 2
- Account books 1
- Acoma (N.M.) 1
- Acoma Indians 1
- Administrative agencies -- New Mexico 1
- Aerial photographs 1
- Aerial photographs -- New Mexico -- Albuquerque 1
- Agriculture -- New Mexico -- Pictorial works 1
- Airports -- New Mexico -- Albuquerque -- Pictorial works 1
- Akwesasne Notes 1
- Albuquerque (N.M.) -- Parks 1
- Albuquerque (N.M.) -- Pictorial works 1
- Albuquerque (N.M.) -- Planning 1
- Alcohol -- Law and Legislation -- New Mexico 1
- American fiction -- Indian authors 1
- American poetry -- Indian authors 1
- Annual reports 1
- Antonio Baca Grant (N.M.) 1
- Antonio Martinez Land Grant (N.M.) 1
- Apache Indians 1
- Apache Indians -- Education 1
- Apache languages 1
- Arctic regions -- Discovery and exploration 1
- Art--Indian--Southwest--New 1
- Authors -- Pictorial works 1
- Authors, American -- 20th century 1
- Banks and banking -- New Mexico 1
- Beauty contests -- United States 1
- Black-and-white photographs 1
- Boarding Schools -- United States -- History 1
- Book illustrations 1
- Borrego Springs Grant (N.M.) 1
- California, Southern--Description and travel 1
- Cattle -- Marking -- Pictorial works 1
- Cemeteries -- New Mexico -- Acoma 1
- Church buildings -- New Mexico -- Acoma 1
- Church buildings -- New Mexico -- Laguna 1
- City and town life -- New Mexico -- Pictorial works 1
- Cityscape photographs 1
- Cityscapes -- New Mexico -- Albuquerque 1
- Clinics -- Arizona -- Many Farms -- Pictorial works 1
- Coal mines and mining -- New Mexico -- Gallup -- History 1
- Color separation negatives 1
- Colorado -- Pictorial works 1
- Comanche women – Political activity – United States – History – Sources 1
- Commercial buildings -- New Mexico -- Albuquerque -- Pictorial works 1
- Community organization--New Mexico--Fort Wingate 1
- Conservation of natural resources -- New Mexico -- Pictorial works 1
- Courthouses -- New Mexico -- Albuquerque -- Pictorial works 1
- Crazy Horse Spirit 1
- Creek Indians -- Education 1
- Crownpoint (N.M.) -- History 1
- Curriculum Development 1
- Dakota Indians 1
- Diaries 1
- Directories 1
- Discrimination in education -- United States 1
- Discrimination in employment 1
- Documents 1 ∧ less
- Undetermined 3
- United States. Bureau of Indian Affairs 4
- Wittick, Ben, 1845-1903 3
- Aberle, Sophie D., 1899-1996 2
- American Indian Movement 2
- Clark, Ann Nolan, 1896-1995 2
- Collier, John, 1884-1968 2
- Institute of American Indian Arts 2
- Inter-Tribal Indian Ceremonial Association 2
- Jackson, William Henry, 1843-1942 2
- New Mexico. Department of Education 2
- Adair, John, 1913-1997 1
- Albright Art Parlors (Albuquerque, N.M.) 1
- Allen, Paula Gunn, 1939-2008 1
- Aquash, Anna Mae, 1945-1976 1
- Bellecourt, Clyde H. (Clyde Howard), 1936- 1
- Caplin, Harvey, 1914-1984 1
- DeHuff, Elizabeth Willis, 1886-1983 1
- Detroit Photographic Co 1
- Fred Harvey (Firm) 1
- Hagerman, Herbert J. (Herbert James), 1871-1935 1
- Herrera, Velino 1
- Hewett, Edgar L. (Edgar Lee), 1865-1946 1
- Kabotie, Fred, 1900-1986 1
- Kiva Club (University of New Mexico) 1
- Mechem, E. L. (Edwin Leard), 1912-2002 1
- Momaday, N. Scott, 1934- 1
- Shultz, Heinrich 1
- Stewart, Dorothy N. (Dorothy Newkirk), 1891-1955 1
- United States. Work Projects Administration 1
- University of New Mexico 1
- University of New Mexico. Indigenous Nations Library Program 1
- University of New Mexico. Students 1
- Waters, Frank, 1902-1995 1
- Zuni Day School (Zuni, N.M.) 1 ∧ less