Albuquerque Photograph Collection
Other early 20th century images include photographs from Los Padillas Elementary School and the Albuquerque Indian School, a Native American standing by a Santa Fe Railroad car with businessmen (1910-1920); and Wright's Trading Post (1920s).
Images of businesses include Enchanted Mesa Shop (1930s), Goodyear and Wilger Tire Companies (1950s), Nob Hill Business Center (1940s); and Sandia Indian Bingo (1986).
The collection also contains photographs of Albuquerque families farming and gardening (1930s-1940s, 1980s). Additionally, several historic events are depicted in the collection, including a crowd greeting the first flight into the Albuquerque Airport (10 August 1934), the dedication of Person Station, an electric generating station (1951), parade views from "Enchantorama," a celebration of Albuquerque's 250th founding anniversary (1956), and National Guardsmen during the Albuquerque Race Riots (1971).
Images of important governmental institutions include the old and new Bernalillo County Courthouse (1908 & 1960s), a courtroom (1960), plans for a City-County Government Complex (1960s) and an Army Air Forces Advanced Flying School tower operator.
The collection includes pictorial works depicting particular domestic structures, including the home of notable Albuquerque journalist and writer, Erna Fergusson (1951), and a dome-shaped wind and solar-powered home near Albuquerque (1973).
A final series was added to accomodate photographic sets or composite views which overlap the designated subject groupings. It includes a small booklet from 1905 of 24 labeled photomechanical prints assembled as a souvevir titled "Miniatures Albuquerque, N.M."
- Majority of material found within 1900s, 1920s, 1950s, 1960s
186 items (3 boxes) : 116 prints, 44 slides, 25 negatives, 1 booklet
Language of Materials
- Series 1: Aerial photographs
- Series 2: Business enterprises
- Series 3: Churches
- Series 4: Cityscapes
- Series 5: Clubs and social events
- Series 6: Energy and natural resources
- Series 7: Government buildings
- Series 8: Landscapes
- Series 9: Old Town
- Series 10: Race riots
- Series 11: Residential architectures
- Series 12: Sandia Peak Tramway
- Series 13: Schools
- Series 14: Transportation
- Series 15: Work
- Series 16: Composite views and sets
Collection Available Online
Collection numbers previously utilized for items in the Albuquerque Photograph Collection are: 989-025, 989-024, 994-001, 992-013, 986-038, 993-010, 986-039, 996-030, 991-006, 986-040, 995-004, 989-026, 987-010.
- Aerial photographs -- New Mexico -- Albuquerque
- Airports -- New Mexico -- Albuquerque -- Pictorial works
- Albuquerque (N.M.) -- Pictorial works
- Caplin, Harvey, 1914-1984
- City and town life -- New Mexico -- Pictorial works
- Cityscapes -- New Mexico -- Albuquerque
- Commercial buildings -- New Mexico -- Albuquerque -- Pictorial works
- Courthouses -- New Mexico -- Albuquerque -- Pictorial works
- Indians of North America -- Education -- Pictorial works
- Public buildings -- New Mexico -- Albuquerque -- Pictorial works
- Race riots -- Photographs
- Railroad stations -- New Mexico -- Albuquerque -- Pictorial works
- Schools -- New Mexico -- Albuquerque -- Pictorial works
- Solar energy -- Photographs
- Tourism -- New Mexico -- Albuquerque -- Pictorial works
- Finding Aid of the Albuquerque Photograph Collection, 1881-1986
- Edited Full Draft
- Eileen Hogan
- © 2013, 2018
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- March 13, 2017: This finding aid and collection arrangement was updated by Cindy Abel Morris to accomodate a souvenir photographic booklet.
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.
Part of the UNM Center for Southwest Research & Special Collections Repository
University of New Mexico Center for Southwest Research & Special Collections
University Libraries, MSC05 3020
1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque NM 87131