Showing Collections: 1 - 25 of 31
Scope and Content This is a small collection containing letters and manuscripts, including correspondence between Agnes Morley Cleaveland and Gertrude Hill about a "strange man," and a letter to George Stevens. The typed manuscripts, some of which are edited, are: "The Vanished American," which is about pioneers; "A Peculiar People: Tenderfeet;" "Incredible Montague," a story about an early pioneer, Montague Stevens of Silver City; and "Stories of Montague Stevens," as told by George Stevens. The collection also...
Abstract New Mexico author and rancher. The collection includes family correspondence, general correspondence, personal files, literary files, political files, publications, and photographs. Also included are a partial manuscript of No Life for a Lady and a complete manuscript of Satan's Paradise.
Dates: 1865 - 1954
Abstract The collection contains film of ranching life in New Mexico, with accompanying text describing the events on the film.
Dates: circa 1935-1966
Abstract Pioneer residents of White Oaks, New Mexico, and later operators of the Bonnell Ranch, a popular guest ranch near Glencoe in the Ruidoso Valley during the 1920s and 1930s. The collection consists primarily of images of the Bonnell Ranch operation, ca. 1915-1950s, and the Crow Indian Reservation, where Bert Bonnell was superintendent from 1911-1914. Photostatic copies were made from a scrapbook, a photograph album and loose photographs.
Dates: ca. 1880s-1950s; Majority of material found in Placeholder Unit Date Text
Abstract This collection contains correspondence, business records, and other assorted items pertaining to Dr. Charles A. Brown and family, who resided in Colorado and New Mexico in the late 1800s.
Identifier: AC 446
Scope and Content The books appear to have been created by J. L. Dow, Deputy U. S. Marshal. The two small bound red books list ear marks, cattle brands, the name and the ranch to which they belong. The post office in which the ranch resided is also listed. The first page of each book lists abbreviations used in the brands. Some entries are in read and they describe number of cattle sold and to which ranch and whether or not they were rebranded.
Dates: 1894-1894; 1894
Scope and Content The collection contains correspondence relating to the personal and business affairs of Charles O'Donel. It also contains genealogical and biographical information about the O'Donel, Kearny and Harral families. There are also some samples of Mexican pesos and Confederate dollars (1861-1914). Photographs have been transferred to CSWR Photoarchives.
Dates: 1860-1978; Majority of material found in 1919-1935
Scope and Content The collection is divided into 16 overlapping series, and also includes an oversized folder. There is some duplication of series, reflecting multiple processing efforts over time. The series breakdown is as follows: I. Historical documents of New Mexico and the West: diaries, manuscripts, correspondence, transcriptions, printed matter, business records and other papers, mostly relating to NM territorial history. Material from New Mexico Secretary of the Territory (MSS 25 SC)...
Scope and Content The Coe family papers consist of manuscript materials and correspondence related to Louise Coe's, Lady and the Law Books and High Roads to Friendships, and Wilbur Coe's Ranch on the Ruidoso. Of special interest in Wilbur Coe's book is the history of the family's participation in the violent Lincoln County War. Wilbur Coe took down the stories told by his grandfather and great-uncles, who...
Abstract This collection is composed of Dalton C. Bergan's research notebooks, photocopied material and note cards on Lucien Bonaparte Maxwell and François Xavier Aubry. Bergan used some of this material to write a book on Aubry.
Abstract Collection consists of research material used for the book: Bell Ranch: Cattle Ranching in the Southwest, 1824-1947.
Dates: 1790-1991; Majority of material found within 1821-1947
Finding aid of the Oral History Interviews of the New Mexico Department of Transportation Oral History Mitigation Projects
Abstract The collection consists of oral history interviews conducted by Shawn Kelley for Paramatrix, under contract with the New Mexico Department of Transportation. The interviews were designed to mitigate adverse effects of various projects, including US 82 (Riley Homestead) Data Recovery Project (Eddy County, NM) and Cambray Bridge Replacement Mitigation Project (Luna County, NM).
Identifier: AC 413-p
Scope and Content Collection contains the 1913 ranch journal of Frank A. Strickland of Roswell, NM. Frank Strickland's ranch was located near Corona, NM. The ranch neighbored the Foster Ranch, which, in 1947, became the crash site of an aviation device, famously known as the "Roswell incident." Frank Strickland's diary was in Lyman Strickland's (son or grandson of Frank Strickland?) possession. The journal is handwritten in pencil and was maintained from January to December 1913. Strickland entered...
Abstract This collection contains correspondence and personal papers of George F. Ellis, manager of the Bell Ranch from 1947-1970, general and subject correspondence files (1944-1945) of former manager Albert K. Mitchell, and records from the Bell Ranch, 1929-1970.
Scope and Content The materials in the collection document Holm O. Bursum's personal life as well as his business and political careers. Correspondence, documents, and news clippings chronicle Bursum's ranching activities, his tenure as warden at the New Mexico State Penitentiary, various election campaigns, Republican Party involvements, and legislative activities. It includes documents relating to the controversial Indian Lands Bill, commonly known as the Bursum Bill. Albert B. Fall, Bronson Cutting and Elfego...
Scope and Content The manuscript, handwritten by John Angus MacDonald, describes five decades of his life in Colorado and New Mexico from the 1870s to the 1920s. It is not a detailed autobiography and is not in chronological order. There is a brief family history beginning on page 240. MacDonald reminisces about his boyhood in the San Luis Valley in Colorado, describing the customs of the Indians, the different ethnic groups that settled the area and the coming of the railroad. The manuscript contains...
Scope and Content The Sinclair Papers, consisting of fiction and non-fiction manuscript materials from the inception of an idea to the published form, comprise an essentially complete record of John Sinclair's long writing career. Additionally, the Sinclair collection is significant for its attention to regional subject matter--the history and lore of the Southwest. Covering the gamut of New Mexico's multicultural heritage from historical facts to tall tales to spiritual realms, Sinclair's writings reflect his...
Abstract Photographs of cowboy author John Sinclair, his wife Evelyn, their friends, and various places in New Mexico where they lived, photographed, or that figured in their writings. There are photos related to Sinclair's family in Scotland and ranching activities in the Southwest.
Identifier: MSS 2003-01
Abstract The collection consists of the congressional papers of U.S. Congressman Joseph R. Skeen (R-NM, 1981-2003). Having completed eleven terms, Congressman Skeen became the longest serving U.S. House of Representatives member for New Mexico to date. His legislative service to the state was founded on strong beliefs in states' rights, protecting private property rights, and supporting initiatives that affected small landowners and ranchers throughout the state. Further, he provided legislative...
Dates: 1972-2003 (bulk 1981-2002)
Found in: New Mexico Tech Joseph R. Skeen Library
Abstract This small collection of letters illuminates life at the Lillie Ranch in Kelly (Socorro County), N.M. in the late 1800s. The letters detail problems on the ranch and with the Indians.
Abstract The Long Canyon Ranch Collection is focused on the ranch near Taiban, New Mexico owned by the Herlihy family.
Dates: 1860-2018; Majority of material found in 1910-1929
Abstract The Long Canyon Ranch Pictorial Collection is focused on the ranch in Taiban, New Mexico, but includes other locations traveled to by the Herlihy family.
Dates: 1860-1989; Majority of material found within 1910-1929
Identifier: AC 635
Scope and Content The collection contains letters from previous employees and visitors to the Bell Ranch. Additional files contain galley proofs, notes, artist and publisher letters concerning books about the history of the Bell Ranch and its neighboring areas written by Martha, aka Mattie, Ellis, George Ellis [husband], and Eugene Price [father]. Two folders concern the establishment and cancellation of the Bell Ranch Post Office.
Abstract This collection contains papers related to Englishman-turned-pioneer Montague Stevens. The papers reflect his life as a sheep rancher, bear hunter, author, and friend to historical figures such as General Leonard Wood, General Nelson A. Miles, painter Frederic Remington, and President Theodore Roosevelt.
Identifier: AC 393-P
Scope and Content Collection contains letters, some addressed to O.D. Espinoza of Espinoza, Colorado regarding his business and payment of debts; letters to Mrs. O.D. Espinoza regarding family matters and some letters responding to a request she had made asking for monetary donations to build a church. Included are letters from Dr. Bertha C. Day to aMrs. Amanda Garcia regarding medical advice and payment for treatment
- Subject: Ranch life -- New Mexico X
- UNM Center for Southwest Research & Special Collections 22
- Fray Angélico Chávez History Library 6
- New Mexico State University Library Archives and Special Collections 2
- New Mexico Tech Joseph R. Skeen Library 1
- Ranch life -- New Mexico 19
- Photographs 4
- Bell Ranch (N.M.) 3
- Cattle trade -- New Mexico -- History 3
- Letters 3
- Mural painting and decoration 3
- New Mexico -- History -- 1848- 3
- New Mexico -- Politics and government -- 1848-1950 3
- Ranch life -- New Mexico -- Pictorial works 3
- Bell Ranch (N.M.) -- History 2
- Elections -- New Mexico 2
- Frontier and pioneer life -- New Mexico 2
- New Mexico -- Description and travel 2
- New Mexico -- History -- 19th century 2
- New Mexico -- Politics and government 2
- New Mexico's Digital Collections 2
- Oral histories 2
- Pablo Montoya Grant (N.M.) 2
- Political campaigns -- New Mexico 2
- Railroads -- New Mexico -- History 2
- Ranch life -- Colorado 2
- Ranch life -- New Mexico -- Lincoln County 2
- Ranchers--New Mexico 2
- Socorro County (N.M.) -- History 2
- Sound recordings 2
- Adventure and adventurers--New Mexico 1
- Agriculture -- History 1
- Apache Indians -- Pictorial works 1
- Apache Indians -- Wars -- New Mexico 1
- Authors, American -- New Mexico -- Pictorial works 1
- Authors, American -- Southwest, New 1
- Bear hunting--West (U.S.) 1
- Beef Cattle-New Mexico 1
- Belen (N.M.) -- History 1
- Business records -- New Mexico 1
- Camping -- New Mexico -- Pictorial works 1
- Canada -- Pictorial works 1
- Cartoons & Comics 1
- Catron County (N.M.) 1
- Catron County (N.M.) -- History 1
- Cattle 1
- Cattle -- Breeding 1
- Cattle Brands-New Mexico-History 1
- Cattle breeders--New Mexico 1
- Cattle breeders--New Mexico--Pictorial works 1
- Cattle trade - New Mexico - Lincoln county 1
- Cattle trade -- New Mexico -- Torrance County 1
- Cattle trade -- West (U.S.) 1
- Cattle trade New Mexico 1
- Cattle trade--New Mexico 1
- Cattle trade--New Mexico--Pictorial works 1
- Chase Ranch (N.M.) -- Pictorial works 1
- Christian Science--Publications. 1
- Church buildings -- Pictorial works 1
- Cleaveland, Agnes Morley, 1874- . 1
- Cleaveland, Norman. 1
- Clippings 1
- Coe Ranch (N.M.) -- History 1
- Colfax County (N.M.) -- History 1
- Colorado -- Commerce 1
- Colorado--Social life and customs 1
- Commercial buildings -- New Mexico -- Pictorial works 1
- Cowboys 1
- Cowboys -- New Mexico 1
- Crow Indian Reservation (Mont.) -- History 1
- De Baca County (N.M.) -- History 1
- De Baca County (N.M.) -- History -- Pictorial works 1
- Dorsey Mansion State Monument (N.M.) 1
- Eddy County (N.M.) -- History 1
- Education -- New Mexico 1
- Electioneering -- New Mexico 1
- Employees -- New Mexico -- Bell Ranch 1
- Environmental policy--Mexican-American Border Region 1
- Espinosa (Colo.) -- History 1
- Fort Sumner (N.M.) -- History 1
- Fort Sumner (N.M.) -- History -- Pictorial works 1
- Fortification -- New Mexico -- Pictorial works 1
- Fowling -- New Mexico -- Bell Ranch 1
- Frontier and pioneer life -- Colorado 1
- Frontier and pioneer life -- Colorado -- Bonanza 1
- Frontier and pioneer life -- New Mexico -- Doña Ana County 1
- Frontier and pioneer life -- New Mexico -- Eddy County 1
- Frontier and pioneer life -- New Mexico -- Socorro County 1
- Frontier and pioneer life-- New Mexico 1
- Frontier and pioneer life--New Mexico History 1
- Frontier and pioneer life--New Mexico. 1
- Frontier and pioneer life--West (U.S.) 1
- Gila National Forest (N.M.) 1
- High roads to friendships 1
- Historic bridges -- New Mexico 1
- Historic buildings -- New Mexico -- Colfax County 1
- Historic buildings -- New Mexico -- Pictorial works 1
- Homestead law 1
- Homestead law--Pictorial works 1
- Horses 1
- Horses -- Training 1
- Hunting -- New Mexico -- Bell Ranch 1
- Indians of North America -- Pictorial works 1
- Indians, Treatment of -- New Mexico 1
- Irrigation canals and flumes -- New Mexico -- Eddy County (N.M.) 1 ∧ less
- English 29
- Undetermined 10
- Red River Valley Company 4
- Anderson, Clinton Presba, 1895-1975 2
- Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railroad Company 2
- Cleaveland, Agnes Morley, 1874-1958 2
- Ellis, George F. 2
- Aubry, François Xavier, 1824-1854 1
- Baca, Elfego, 1864-1945 1
- Billy, the Kid 1
- Bush, George W. (George Walker), 1946- 1
- Bush, George, 1924-2018 1
- Chisum, John Simpson, 1824-1884 1
- Coe, Wilbur, 1894- 1
- Cutting, Bronson M., 1888-1935 1
- Davis, W. W. H. (William Watts Hart), 1820-1910 1
- Democratic Party (N.M.) 1
- Fall, Albert B. (Albert Bacon), 1861-1944 1
- Gilpin, Laura, 1891-1979 1
- Jones, Andrieus Aristieus, 1862-1927 1
- Lane, Rose Wilder, 1886-1968 1
- New Mexico Cattle Growers Association 1
- New Mexico. Coronado Cuarto Centennial Commission 1
- Waters, Frank, 1902-1995 1
- Western Writers of America 1 ∧ less