Skip to main content

Ojo de Espiritu Santo Company Records

Identifier: MSS-42-BC

Scope and Content

This collection contains correspondence, leases, reports, and legal proceedings for the Ojo de Espiritu Santo Company from 1899-1935. The bulk of the records date from 1916-1934. There is correspondence to and from the company's general managers, Leo Garcia, before 1919 and Ted Sparr, from 1919 to 1934; the company agent, Charles F. Lambert; owners, C. C. Catron, Fletcher A. Catron, Thomas B. Catron, and others. The correspondence deals with sheep and cattle grazing leases and fees, oil and gas leasing, and land sales. There are a number of legal papers regarding tax disputes and land ownership suits such as a case involving Ciriaco C. de Baca and another regarding the Anton Chico Land grant.


  • 1889-1935 (bulk 1916-1934)


Language of Materials


Access Restrictions

The collection is open for research.

Copy Restrictions

Limited duplication is allowed for research purposes. User is responsible for compliance with all copyright, privacy and libel laws. Permission is required for publication or distribution.


The Ojo de Espiritu Santo Company was incorporated in 1903 and in the same year purchased the Ojo del Espiritu Santo Grant from Pedro Perea and his wife. The grant, located in Sandoval County, New Mexico, was also referred to as Holy Ghost Spring Grant and Esp?ritu Santo Grant. In 1815 the grant was awarded to Lu?s Mar?a Cabeza de Baca, and later was sold to Pedro Perea. In 1893 the Court of Private Land Claims ruled that a 1766 grant for the same area, which was given to the Jemez, Zia and Santa Ana Pueblos by the Spanish government, was not for ownership but only a license to pasture livestock. After the federal government purchased the entire 113,141 acre land grant from the Ojo de Espiritu Santo Company in August 1934, a portion of the grant was set aside for Indian use in 1938. In 1956 the government transferred part of the grant in trust to the Pueblos of Zia and Jemez.

The Ojo de Espiritu Santo Company was involved with cattle, grazing, oil leasing, and real estate. Its principle office was located in Bernalillo, New Mexico, until 1915, when the Board of Directors voted to move it to Santa Fe. Among the owners of the company were brothers, Charles C. Catron, Fletcher Arthur Catron, and Thomas B. Catron.


1 box ( 1 cu. ft. )

Related Material

Thomas B. Catron Papers Center for Southwest Research, University Libraries, University of New Mexico Indian Affairs Papers Center for Southwest Research, University Libraries, University of New Mexico

Relevant Secondary Sources

  • Sando, Joe S. Nee hemish; a history of Jemez Pueblo. Albuquerque, N.M.: University of New Mexico Press, 1982
  • Van Ness, John R. and Christine M., ed. Spanish & Mexican Land Grants in New Mexico and Colorado.Manhattan, Kan.: Sunflower University Press, 1980.
Finding Aid of the Ojo de Espiritu Santo Company Records, 1889-1935 (bulk 1916-1934)
Described by T.S. Reinig
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Language of description note
Finding aid is in English

Revision Statements

  • June 28, 2004: PUBLIC "-//University of New Mexico::Center for Southwest Research//TEXT (US::NmU::MSS 42 BC::Ojo de Espiritu Santo Company Records)//EN" "nmu1mss42bc.sgml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
  • Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.

Repository Details

Part of the UNM Center for Southwest Research & Special Collections Repository

University of New Mexico Center for Southwest Research & Special Collections
University Libraries, MSC05 3020
1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque NM 87131