Kenneth M. Chapman Collection
Identifier: AC 484
Scope and Content
The collection consists of genealogical family information, correspondence, legal and real estate documents, and (typed and handwritten) autobiographical notes. Papers pertain to Kenneth Chapman's work with the Museum of New Mexico, Edgar L. Hewett and others, the Indian Arts Fund, general archaeology and the preservation of Pueblo pottery.
- Majority of material found in 1928-1968
Language of Materials
The collection is open for research.
Limited duplication of print materials allowed for research purposes. User is responsible for all copyright compliance.
Kenneth M. Chapman (1875-1968) arrived in Las Vegas, New Mexico in 1899 accepting a position as an art instructor with the New Mexico Normal School and as a commercial artist with Frank Springer, a prominent lawyer and amateur paleontologist. Chapman eventually moved to Santa Fe and became involved with cultural institutions there: the Museum of New Mexico, Laboratory of Anthropology, and the Indian Arts Fund. Through his work he was in close contact with Edgar L. Hewett, Frank Springer, and at some point with John D. Rockefeller, Jr. as well as leading archaeologists of the time such as Alfred V. Kidder, Sylvanus Morley, Jesse Nusbaum. He attended early archaeological excavations in the Southwest and became famous for his knowledge and presevation of modern arts and crafts of Southwest Indians. Chapman married fellow archeologist Katherine Muller in 1915 with whom he had two children: Frank Springer Chapman and Helen Hope (Potter). Chapman died in Santa Fe on 23 February 1968.
2.0 Linear Feet
Three-dimensional artifacts have been transferred to Museum Collections, photographs have been transferred to Photo Archives.
- Archaeologists -- New Mexico
- Chapman, Kenneth Milton, 1875-1968
- Commercial art
- Hewett, Edgar L. (Edgar Lee), 1865-1946
- Indian pottery -- Southwest, New
- Indians of North America -- New Mexico
- Laboratory of Anthropology (Museum of New Mexico)
- Long, Haniel, 1888-1956
- Memoirs and biographies
- Nazarus : a free translation from the Greek of a set of manuscript scrolls
- Nusbaum, Jesse L. (Jesse Logan), 1887-1975
- Pueblo pottery
- Guide to the Kenneth M. Chapman Collection, 1848-1968
- Edited Full Draft
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.