St. Vincent Hospital [1851-1979], a typed manuscript,
Identifier: AC 288
Scope and Content
Collection consists of a typed manuscript on the history of St. Vincent Hospital, in Santa Fe. It was written by Marcus J. Smith, M.D., under a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities during 1978 and 1979. It begins with the arrival of Bishop Jean Baptiste Lamy, who requested that nuns from the Sisters of Charity of Cincinnati be sent to Santa Fe to establish a hospital. The history covers the establishment and growth of the hospital during the late nineteenth century as a a sanitarium. It also provides information on early medical and nursing practices, early history of Santa Fe, and discussions about famous and infamous people in New Mexico's past. Collection includes a summary report for the grant; a table of contents; a list of illustrations; Smith's bibliography; and appendices that include hospital insurance policies, philosophies, objectives, and a "Policy on Patients' Rights."
Language of Materials
Duplication allowed for research purposes. User responsible for all copyright compliance.
Five hospitals in all were built; the last one was secularized in 1976. The first, named the Old Seminary, was built in 1853 next to the site of the present day St. Francis Cathedral. That building was remodeled in 1865 and was used as a hospital, convent, and nurses' residence. In 1885, a new hospital was build and called the St. Vincent Sanitarium. In 1886 an annex was built, later to become La Residencia Nursing Home. The third and forth hospitals were completed in 1910 and 1953 in the same location as the others. The fifth was built in 1977 and located away from the historic downtown sites.
.5 lin. feet
- Fray Angélico Chávez History Library
- The Palace of the Governors
- P.O. Box 2087
- Santa Fe, New Mexico 87504-2087, U.S.A.
- Phone: (+)505.476.5090
- Fax: (+)505.476.5093
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- URL: www.palaceofthegovernors.org
- Guide to the St. Vincent Hospital [1851-1979], a typed manuscript, 1979
- Edited Full Draft
- Processed by Library Staff
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- June 28, 2004: PUBLIC "-//Museum of New Mexico::Fray Angelico Chavez History Library//TEXT (US::NmSM::AC 288::St. Vincent Hospital [1851-1979], a typed manuscript)//EN" "nmsm1ac288.sgml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.