Carl Blumner Letters,
Identifier: AC 231
Scope and Content
Collection consists of handwritten originals, German typescripts, and typed English translations of letters from Carl Blumner to his mother Johanna Blumner and his sister Hannchen in Prussia concerning his and his brother August's activities in Santa Fe. The letters were written between 1936-1909, and include a few attached letters by his brother August as well as a few letters by his son. Collection also includes genealogies of the Blumner familiy, and an obituary of Carl Blumner. Letters discuss the Chimayo revolt of 1837-38 in which Governor Albino Perez and other were killed; social life and customs in Santa Fe and New Mexico; and trade on the Santa Fe trail.
Language of Materials
Duplication allowed for research purposes. User responsible for all copyright compliance.
Charles Blumner was a German immigrant to Santa Fe during the period of Mexican sovereignty. His brother, August, apparently joined him, but later started to move to California and died in transit. Carl was Territorial Treasurer form 1846-1854 and 1857-1863. He served as U.S. Marshall from 1856-1858, and was Collector of U.S. Internal Revenue from 1862-1869. In addition, he worked in the mercantile business in Santa Fe.
.2 Linear Feet
Photographs of Carl Blumner have been transferred to Photo Archives.
- Fray Angélico Chávez History Library
- The Palace of the Governors
- P.O. Box 2087
- Santa Fe, New Mexico 87504-2087, U.S.A.
- Phone: (+)505.476.5090
- Fax: (+)505.476.5093
- Email: email@example.com
- URL: www.palaceofthegovernors.org
- Chimayo (N.M.) -- History
- New Mexico -- Description and travel
- New Mexico -- History -- To 1848
- New Mexico -- Officials and employees
- New Mexico -- Social life and customs
- Santa Fe (N.M.) -- Commerce
- Santa Fe (N.M.) -- Description and travel
- Santa Fe (N.M.) -- History
- Santa Fe (N.M.) -- Officials and employees
- Santa Fe (N.M.) -- Social life and customs
- Santa Fe Trail
- Guide to the Carl Blumner Letters, 1836-1906
- Edited Full Draft
- Processed by Library Staff
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- June 28, 2004: PUBLIC "-//Museum of New Mexico::Fray Angelico Chavez History Library//TEXT (US::NmSM::AC 231::Carl Blumner Letters)//EN" "nmsm1ac231.sgml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.