Frank Springer Collection,
Identifier: AC 215
Scope and Content
Documents contain: originals and copies of legislation to create the war memorial and its administrative branch, the Board of Historical Services, and to appropriate funds to build a new arsenal and armory. Addresses and a paper concerning World War I, that were delivered at various commencements, dedications, and memorials, are included (1917- 1919). Clippings from primarily New Mexico newspapers discuss Springer's activities as lawyer for the Maxwell Land Grant Company; Theodore Roosevelt and the Rough Riders; and Springer's fossil collection. Pamphlets and programs contain: Springer's work on Crinoid fossils, his educational addresses; a eulogy for William McKinley; a memorial for Springer's son Henry S. Springer; and various other pamphlets. Also included are: a copy of Springer's bibliography; copies of the Las Vegas Daily Optic and the Santa Fe New Mexican newspapers; and a photograph of the ground plan for the New Mexico Normal University, Las Vegas, New Mexico.
Language of Materials
Duplication allowed for research purposes. User responsible for all copyright compliance.
Frank Springer, son of Francis and Nancy R. Springer, was born at Wapello, Iowa, June 17, 1848 and died in 1927. He was admitted to the bar in Iowa in 1869 and came to New Mexico in 1873. He settled in Cimarron, N.M., where he practised law and married Josephine M. Bishop. In 1890 he was elected president of the New Mexico Bar Association. He acted as attorney for the Maxwell Land Grant Company and also served as its president. He was twice a member of the legislative council of New Mexico and after retiring from law in 1906 studied paleontology, on which he wrote books and articles.
1.5 Linear Feet
- Fray Angélico Chávez History Library
- The Palace of the Governors
- P.O. Box 2087
- Santa Fe, New Mexico 87504-2087, U.S.A.
- Phone: (+)505.476.5090
- Fax: (+)505.476.5093
- Email: email@example.com
- URL: www.palaceofthegovernors.org
- Crinoidea, Fossil
- Family papers
- Lawyers -- New Mexico -- Santa Fe
- Maxwell Land Grant (N.M. and Colo.)
- New Mexico -- Politics and government -- 1848-1950
- New Mexico. Legislature
- Nusbaum, Jesse L. (Jesse Logan), 1887-1975
- Paleontologists -- New Mexico -- Santa Fe
- United States. Army. Volunteer Cavalry, 1st
- War memorials -- New Mexico -- Santa Fe
- World War, 1914-1918
- Guide to the Frank Springer Collection, 1899-1924
- Edited Full Draft
- Processed by Library Staff
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- June 28, 2004: PUBLIC "-//Museum of New Mexico::Fray Angelico Chavez History Library//TEXT (US::NmSM::AC 215::Frank Springer Collection)//EN" "nmsm1ac215.sgml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.