Showing Collections: 1 - 25 of 32
Scope and Content Collection consists of the legal, personal, and political papers of A.A. Jones. The bulk of the collection consists of legal papers which include several land grant, business, and probate case records. Land grant case records pertain to the Maxwell, Preston Beck, Mora, Las Vegas, and Eaton land grants. Included in the land grant case records are the papers of James and Helen Beck and New Mexico Chief Justice Elisha V. Long's opinion on the Las Vegas Land Grant. Companies involved in the...
Identifier: AC 482
Scope and Content The collection contains legal and organizational documentation concerning the water rights case. The vertical file at the Fray Angelico Chavez History Library contains extensive newspaper clippings on the case.
Scope and Content Collection consists of original documents and photocopies involving Acoma and Laguna Indian Pueblos in New Mexico. Includes letters and various legal documents. Much of the collection concerns legal disputes between Acoma and Laguna Pueblos over land tenure, boundaries, and water rights. Also within the collection is a 1904 letter to officials at Acoma Pueblo from officials at New Mexico's eight northern Pueblos requesting united opposition among all Pueblos to the New Mexico Supreme Court's...
Dates: 1689-1904 (bulk 1829-1904).
Identifier: AC 325
Scope and Content Collection consists of legal papers and correspondence to and from and about Arthur Rochford Manby and the companies in which he had financial interests, specifically the Taos Valley Land Comapny, the Mutual Trust Company, and the Colonial Bond and Security Company. The collection contains papers dealing with water and mining rights in New Mexico and other interests. There are also tax receipts and land documents pertaining to his properties and various newspaper clippings. In addition, there...
Scope and Content Collection consists of papers from the Cordova family and other families from the Cordova, New Mexico area. Included are documents pertaining to the Truchas Land Grant and its grantees (1829), water rights in Pueblo Quemado (1834), the settlement of a partido contract from the estate of Jose Miguel Archuleta (1883), and hijuelas (estate inventories) for Pedro Fresquez (1856), Maria Quirina Vigil (1889), and Jose Pablo Pacheco (1906).
Collection is in Spanish.
Collection is in Spanish.
Scope and Content Collection consists of Donaciano Vigil's military, family, and personal papers which span the Spanish, Mexican, and U.S. Territorial periods of New Mexico history. Spanish period documents contain land conveyances and abstracts of land primarily in Santa Fe (1770-1803), an inventory of civil and criminal proceedings (1766-1767), and a will (1820). Mexican period documents cover a wide range of New Mexico subjects. Some of the subjects are Vigil's military career (1834-1841), military affairs...
Dates: 1727-1877, bulk 1841-1877
Scope and Content Collection consists of the records of Eddy County, New Mexico (1888-1991). The bulk of the material covers the dates 1891-1922. Included are the records of the county clerk (1891-1972, 1990-1991), sheriff (1896-1922), assessor (1891-1911), county commissioners (1891-1932), justice of the peace (1900-1940), probate court (1888-1915), superintendent of schools (1891-1923), treasurer (1891-1913), coroner (1892-1912), surveyor (1891-1908), road supervisor and overseer (1901-1910), and miscellaneous...
Dates: 1888-1991(Bulk 1891-1922)
Scope and Content Collection consists of Bartlett's official correspondence as Solicitor General of the Territory of New Mexico (1890-1902); and professional papers from his legal practice (1880-1904). Solicitor General correspondence includes letters received from Frank Springer, Elfego Baca, Frederick Muller, and Pinkerton's National Detective Agency concerning Charles Siringo. Topics covered in the correspondence include the Rough Riders, Jicarilla Apaches, territorial penitentiary, Fort Marcy, and the...
Abstract Organized in 1918 after the Elephant Butte Dam was built, EBID replaced the Elephant Butte Water Users Association as a means to manage water rights and pay off the debt of the dam's construction to the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation. The records here come from the district's executive operations as well as its main functions, in forms ranging from small cards to large maps.
Dates: 1880 - 1981; Majority of material found within 1904 - 1970
Identifier: AC 193
Scope and Content Collection consists primarily of materials concerning Tucumcari, and Quay County, New Mexico. Includes promotional pamphlets from 1910 on the towns of Tucumcari and San Jon in Quay County; a 1912 document transferring water rights from Herman Gerhardt to the Tucumcari Irrigation Co.; and various letters and announcements received by the Gerhardt family of Tucumcari. Also within the collection is a program from the "First Annual New Mexico Cowboys Reunion," held in Las Vegas, New Mexico in 1915.
Scope and Content Collection consists primarily of Fiske's professional papers. Series I consists of various legal documents, including a contract retaining Fiske as defense attorney in the trial of James G. Whitney for the murder of Manuel B. Otero, and 67 pages of testimony from the case of Edward Miller v. Alphonso Dockweiler over water rights involving the Rio Tesuque, Acequia Madre, and Acequia del Medio in northern New Mexico. Series II consists of legal documents, deeds, land conveyances, and other...
Dates: 1840-1968 (bulk 1840-1909)
Scope and Content Collection consists of official and personal papers of Governor Miles. Includes correspondence with and reports from various state agencies concerning a broad range of issues such as labor, natural resource conservation, enforcement of the Hatch Act, establishment of the Four Corners Monument, establishment of a Mormon Battalion Monument, and extension of the Navajo Reservation. Also within this collection are reports and other materials concerning the Pecos River Commission, Rio Grande Compact...
Scope and Content Collection consists of official papers of Governor Mechem. Correspondence concerns a variety of subjects, including conveyances of federal public lands, the fence controversy at Tesuque Pueblo, the possible creation of a national park on the Mescalero Indian Reservation, and Japanese immigration. Proclamations involve quarantines in response to several types of weevils. Special reports and investigations include the failure of the Santa Fe Bank, discrimination against Spanish-Americans at the...
Dates: 1908-1925 ( bulk 1921-1922)
Scope and Content Collection consists of official papers of Governor Thornton. Includes letters received, appointments, resignations, proclamations, reports, and penal papers. Some of the materials relate specifically to mining accidents and water rights in New Mexico.
Scope and Content Collection consists of the records of Guadalupe County, New Mexico (1893-1942). Included are records of the county clerk (1893-1930), assessor (1893-1923), sheriff (1912-1931), county commissioners (1893-1928), justice of the peace (1902-1946), probate court (1893-1928), superintendent of schools and board of education (1910-1925), and miscellaneous records (1911-1942). Clerk's records include license registers, oaths and bonds, poll books, articles of incorporation, chattel mortgages, and...
Dates: 1893-1942 (Bulk, 1893-1923)
Abstract This collection contains correspondence and other papers relating to legal cases of Henry A. Kiker, and the law firm of Bickley & Kiker, 1879-1934.
Dates: 1879-1934; Majority of material found within 1901-1934
Abstract John Nichols' papers document a wide range of history and culture and personal connections in New Mexico (and elsewhere) over the last 55 years. The collection contains manuscripts, screenplays, correspondence, speeches, artwork, journals, photographs, slides, and videos.
Abstract The collection focuses on environmental and social justice issues in Northern New Mexico.
Scope and Content Collection consists of records and correspondence from Manuel Sanchez's law practice. Includes case files, carbon copies of letters sent and legal documents, clients' letters received, briefs, and law reports and related material on a wide range of subjects.
Some materials are in Spanish.
Some materials are in Spanish.
Dates: 1802-1969 (bulk, 1920-1950)
Scope and Content Collection consists primarily of documents concerning the area of Abiquiu, New Mexico. Among the documents are wills, hijuelas (estate records) and conveyances involving estates and property; and government circulars regarding trade with the Indians, raising militias, and war with the United States. Specific items include several 1846 documents pertaining to the Mexican War such as Governor Manuel Armijo's warning of impending war, and printed orders of U.S. General Stephen Watts Kearny...
Dates: 1785-1846 (bulk 1843-1846)
Scope and Content Collection consists of photocopies of land conveyances, wills, and certain other legal instruments documenting the presence of the Martinez family in and around Santa Cruz de la Canada, New Mexico, in the nineteenth century. Includes material on water rights near Santa Cruz, and a bond for the mayordomo de acequia, 1906. Many of the documents involve members of the Roybal and Mestas families.
Collection is in Spanish.
Collection is in Spanish.
Dates: 1790-1908 (bulk,1842-1908)
Abstract Headquartered in Albuquerque, New Mexico, the Middle Rio Grande Conservancy District serves portions of Sandoval, Bernalillo, Valencia, and Socorro Counties. Records include official minutes from 1925 to1952, a 1940 economic survey, photographs from the 1930s-1940s and a videotaped documentary from the 1980s.
Dates: 1925-ca. 1985; 1925-ca. 1985; Majority of material found in 1925-1952
Scope and Content Collection consists of case files and a variety of documents such as wills, deeds, and estate records from legal cases handled by Laughlin. Series I includes materials on homestead claims and businesses such as the Globe Land Co. and the La Fonda Hotel. Series II includes materials on acequias and water rights, banks (including the First National Bank of Santa Fe and the Santa Fe Bank), mining companies (including the Rio Arriba Coal Co.), and the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad Co. Series III...
Content Note As of 2000 collection consists of records of the New Mexico State Engineer, its predecessor the Territorial Engineer, and the Interstate Stream Commission, which is a statutorily separate agency coordinated and directed by the State Engineer (1888-1992). Includes biennial reports (1932-1978), one annual report from 1979, minutes, legal documents, publications, and ledger books. Most of the records concern water rights, water conservation, irrigation, flood control, and water resources. Includes...
Scope and Content Collection consists of the court clerk correspondence for the 1st Judicial District Court, the 3rd Judicial District Court, the 4th Judicial District Court, the 6th Judicial District Court, and the 8th Judicial District Court (1879-1970). The bulk of correspondence covers the years 1879-1912 and 1960-1970. Some correspondence for the 1st and 4th Judicial District Courts is located in letterpress books (1897-1911). Collection also includes criminal and civil cases for Bernalillo, Chavez, Colfax,...
Dates: 1853-1970 (Bulk 1882-1960)
- Subject: Water rights -- New Mexico X
- New Mexico State Records Center and Archives 21
- UNM Center for Southwest Research & Special Collections 5
- Fray Angélico Chávez History Library 4
- New Mexico State University Library Archives and Special Collections 2
- Water rights -- New Mexico 21
- Wills 12
- Conveyances 8
- Legal files 8
- New Mexico -- Politics and government -- 1848-1950 8
- Legal documents 5
- New Mexico -- Officials and employees 5
- Account books 4
- Administrative agencies -- New Mexico 4
- Annual reports 4
- Articles of incorporation 4
- Bonds (legal records) 4
- Estate inventories 4
- Judicial records 4
- Lawyers -- New Mexico 4
- Licenses 4
- Marriage records 4
- Reports 4
- Tax records 4
- Civil procedure -- New Mexico 3
- Contracts 3
- Deeds 3
- Family papers 3
- Governors -- New Mexico 3
- Local government -- Records 3
- Maxwell Land Grant (N.M. and Colo.) 3
- Mora Land Grant (N.M.) 3
- New Mexico -- History -- 1848- 3
- New Mexico -- History -- To 1848 3
- Notarial documents 3
- Piedra Lumbre Land Grant (N.M.) 3
- Proclamations 3
- State government records 3
- Territorial records 3
- Voting registers 3
- Addresses 2
- Antonio Martinez Land Grant (N.M.) 2
- Caja del Rio Land Grant (N.M.) 2
- Census records 2
- Cieneguilla Land Grant (N.M.) 2
- Columbus (N.M.) -- History 2
- Criminal procedure -- New Mexico 2
- Deed books 2
- Eddy County (N.M.) -- History 2
- Extradition -- New Mexico 2
- Homestead law -- New Mexico 2
- Irrigation and canals and flumes New Mexico 2
- Land grants -- New Mexico 2
- Land grants New Mexico 2
- Land titles -- New Mexico 2
- Letters 2
- Lincoln County (N.M.) -- History 2
- Minutes (Records) 2
- Mortgages 2
- Pardon -- New Mexico 2
- Preston Beck Land Grant (N.M.) 2
- Pueblo Indians -- Land tenure 2
- Rio Arriba County (N.M.) -- History 2
- Rio Grande -- Water rights 2
- San Juan County (N.M.) -- History 2
- Trial and arbitral proceedings 2
- Valencia County (N.M.) -- History 2
- Abiquiu (N.M.) -- History 1
- Abstracts 1
- Acequia Madre (N.M.) 1
- Acequia del Medio (N.M.) 1
- Acoma (N.M.) -- Boundaries 1
- Acoma (N.M.) -- History 1
- Acoma Indians -- Land tenure 1
- Affidavits 1
- Agricultural pests -- New Mexico 1
- Albuquerque (N.M.) -- Social life and customs 1
- American Literature -- New Mexico 1
- Americans -- Mexico 1
- Americans --Mexico 1
- Antonio Sedilla Land Grant (N.M.) 1
- Archives --New Mexico--Catalogs 1
- Arroyo Hondo Land Grant (N.M.) 1
- Articles 1
- Bandelier National Monument (N.M.) 1
- Bankruptcy -- New Mexico 1
- Banks and banking -- New Mexico 1
- Belen (N.M.) -- Census -- 1918 1
- Bernalillo County (N.M.) -- History 1
- Bishops -- Mexico 1
- Brazitos Land Grant (N.M.) 1
- Bureau of Reclamation--History. 1
- Cartoons & Comics 1
- Case files 1
- Chavez County (N.M.) -- History 1
- Christianity -- Conversion 1
- Citizenship papers 1
- Civil defense --New Mexico 1
- Clippings 1
- Coal Strike, Gallup, N.M., 1933 1
- Cochiti Indians Land tenure 1
- Colfax County (N.M.) -- History 1
- Colfax County (N.M.) -- Trials, litigation, etc. 1
- Conejos Land Grant (N.M.) 1
- Conservation of natural resources -- New Mexico 1 ∧ less
- English 28
- Undetermined 24
- Spanish; Castilian 5
- French 1
- Baca, Elfego, 1864-1945 2
- Catron, Thomas Benton, 1840-1921 2
- Aamodt, R. Lee, 1917-2006 1
- Albuquerque & Cerrillos Coal Company 1
- Anderson, Clinton Presba, 1895-1975 1
- Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railroad Company 1
- Axtell, Samuel B. (Samuel Beach), 1819-1891 1
- Billy, the Kid 1
- Chavez, Dennis, 1888-1962 1
- Civilian Conservation Corps (U.S.) 1
- Fall, Albert B. (Albert Bacon), 1861-1944 1
- First National Bank of Santa Fe 1
- Gross, Kelly & Company, Inc 1
- Jones, Andrieus Aristieus, 1862-1927 1
- Ketchum, Black Jack, 1863-1901 1
- La Fonda (Hotel : Santa Fe, N.M.) 1
- Matthews, Kay 1
- Maxwell Land Grant Company 1
- Mechem, E. L. (Edwin Leard), 1912-2002 1
- New Mexico. Governor (1939-1942 : Miles) 1
- Pyle, Ernie, 1900-1945 1
- Tingley, Clyde 1
- United States. Army. Volunteer Cavalry, 1st 1
- United States. Pueblo Lands Board 1
- United States. Work Projects Administration 1 ∧ less