Showing Collections: 1 - 25 of 47
Scope and Content Collection consists of correspondence, personal papers, manuscripts, genealogies, and clippings. Subjects include New Mexican customs and folklore, land grants and titles, and prominent figures in New Mexico history. Other topics include Chaves and Ortiz family histories, the 1680 Pueblo Revolt, and New Mexicos school system. Notable correspondents are Charles F. Lummis, B.W. "Win Page, Katharine Chaves Page, and Stephen B. Elkins. This collection was transferred from the Museum of New Mexico...
Identifier: AC 331
Scope and Content Collection consists of Aretas Hyde's memoirs. Memoirs have contemporary reactions to the anti-slavery and abolitionist movement before and during the Civil War. He also comments on the construction of pueblos in New Mexico.
Scope and Content Collection consists of land records (1829-1929) and personal, financial, and professional papers of the A.M. Bergere family and its extended families, the Oteros and the Lunas of Los Lunas, New Mexico (1855-1967). Land records include conveyances and information regarding the Bartolome Baca Land Grant, the Antonio Sandoval Land Grant, the Perea Land Grant, the Tome Land Grant, and the Chilili Land Grant. Financial records contain deeds, correspondence regarding the estate of Eloisa Luna de...
Identifier: AC 231
Scope and Content Collection consists of handwritten originals, German typescripts, and typed English translations of letters from Carl Blumner to his mother Johanna Blumner and his sister Hannchen in Prussia concerning his and his brother August's activities in Santa Fe. The letters were written between 1936-1909, and include a few attached letters by his brother August as well as a few letters by his son. Collection also includes genealogies of the Blumner familiy, and an obituary of Carl Blumner. Letters...
Abstract This collection contains records regarding the status of the various missions in northern New Mexico in 1794 as communicated to the Province of the Holy Evangel of Our Holy Father San Francisco of Mexico City.
Abstract This collection consists of archaeological and ethnographic photographs of Cochiti Pueblo, as well as letters, notes, essays, and reference materials gathered and used in Charles Lange’s research/writing.
Dates: 1897-1990; Majority of material found within 1946-1957
Identifier: AC 076
Scope and Content Collection consists of Chris Emmett's research materials, 1847-1883. Included are typescript excerpts from New Mexican newspapers (primarily from Santa Fe) and from several publications. Excerpts pertain to various New Mexico persons and events in Santa Fe and various other cities. Included is an index to the excerpts created by Emmett.
Scope and Content Collection contains the 18 linear feet of correspondence between Dr. Knowlton, colleagues, students, and publishers. Dr. Knowlton's manuscripts relating to his field of research are included, some of which have been published in professional journals. Professor Knowlton also collected manuscripts written by colleagues and students on subjects relating to Mexican-Americans, Bilingual Education and Native American issues. Also within the collection are 23 linear feet of reports, committee...
Identifier: AC 287
Scope and Content Collection consists of material on AngÃ©lico ChÃ¡vez. Material includes clippings on his writings; the seminary newsletter Brown and White, which he edited for several years; designs for book title pages; conference and meeting material. Also included in the collection are legal documents relating to the ChÃ¡vez family and the ChÃ¡vez Family Association and two scrapbooks with clippings covering the early career of AngÃ©lico ChÃ¡vez.
Abstract This collection is comprised of business and private papers pertaining to Abram Contreras, Felipe Peralta, Emiliano Contreras and their relatives who resided in Socorro County, central New Mexico, in the late 1800s and early 1900s.
Identifier: MSS -652 -BC
Scope and Content The collection is a collation of research materials on Cundiyo, New Mexico. It contains correspondence among researchers including Paul Kutsche, Joseph E. Weckler, Morris Siegal, and William Skinner, as well as correspondence between researchers and informants. The collection also contains bibliographical citations; typescripts of papers written about Cundiyo; field notes; genealogical information; transcripts of interviews with residents; and a few miscellaneous items. Most of the information...
Scope and Content The Dorothy L. Pillsbury Papers consists of fan mail and general correspondence; article typescripts, related research, and correspondence with publishers; publications containing Pillsbury's writings, as well as clippings of published works, book reviews; and a scrapbook. The series and folders overlap, as some materials are arranged loosely by subject, some by date, and some by where/when they were published. The preponderance of material relates to New Mexico and its cultural landscape as...
Abstract Collection contains portraits of Dorothy Pillsbury.
Scope and Content Collection consists of Elisha V. and Boaz W. Long's personal, legal, and dipolmatic correspondence; legal and business records; manuscripts and reports; clippings; and family papers. A large portion of the collection consists of: the legal papers of Elisha V. Long during his tenure as district attorney for several New Mexico counties (1896-1899), as the Chief Justice of the New Mexico Territorial Supreme Court (1885- 1890), and as a private attorney; and the official papers of Boaz W. Long...
Scope and Content This collection is divided into three series: Genealogy, Folklore and History, and Personal. The genealogy series contains notes, narratives, charts, last wills and testaments, correspondence, and other documents pertaining to the Baca and Delgado families and their relations. The Folklore and History series primarily contains narratives and notes, written by Fabiola Cabeza de Baca Gilbert. Her writings combine historical research with local folklore and tradition in topics relating...
Abstract Collection contains photographs from Fabiola Cabeza de Baca Gilbert's childhood and work as a school teacher.
Abstract The collection consists of records of F.B.I. investigations about convicted spy Klaus Fuchs, and research materials related to Szasz's writings such as, "The Culture of Modern New Mexico, 1940-1970," and "Tony Hillerman and the turn-of-the-century American Southwest" and for his book, Great Mysteries of the West The collection also contains research materials pertaining to the Manhattan Project at Los Alamos, the Trinity Site, World War II...
Dates: 1894-2005; Majority of material found in 1942-1999
Identifier: MSS -607 -BC
Scope and Content This oral history collection consists of thirty-six (36) interviews recorded on thirty-three (33), ninety-minute cassette tapes. There are no transcripts although interview summaries written by Rev. Wargelin are included.Included in the collection is a tape in which Rev. Wargelin recalls an interview that was done in 1985 with artist and illustrator, Hella Shattuck. The collection also contains biographical materials about Hella Shattuck, including photocopies of news clippings from...
Abstract Letters from Calvin Francis (Frank) Allen to Caroline (Carrie) Hadley written during their courtship, 1884-1887. The 163 letters mostly were sent from Allen in New Mexico to Hadley in Indiana. Frank Allen worked as a railroad engineer and attorney during his time in New Mexico. The letters discuss personal and family matters, but also provide a unique look into social life in territorial New Mexico. Allen lived in Las Vegas and Socorro, New Mexico during the time the letters were written, but...
Dates: 1884-1887; Majority of material found in Placeholder Unit Date Text
Identifier: AC 362
Scope and Content The collection consists of Frank Ortiz's personal and diplomatic papers. The bulk of the material deals with his diplomatic and political career . Classified materials had been removed from the Frank V. Ortiz Collection in September 2006 by the U.S. State Department. In 2008 all but 18 documents have been declassified and returned to the Frank V. Ortiz Collection. A review of those remaining documents (either redacted or denied) will be requested in May of 2010. NOTE:...
Identifier: NMU CSWR WPA
Abstract Most of the New Mexico WPA stories were collected among Hispanic and Anglo Americans across the state. They contain folk tales, songs, customs, town histories and biographies of pioneer leaders. Some stories relate to Native American topics; a few materials pertain to African Americans and Chinese immigrants.
Abstract Itinerant photographer throughout the Sacramento Mountain area. The collection contains 345 glass negatives in 4x5, 5x7, and 5x8 formats, 36 mounted prints in 4x6, 5x7, 5x8 and 8x10 formats, and about 700 4x5 copy negatives. Subjects include family and individual portraits, scenes of ranching, farming, logging, railroading, church, school and holiday gatherings. Locations depicted include Agua Chiquita Canyon, Alamogordo, Cloudcroft, Cox Canyon, Curtis Canyon, Elk, Hay Canyon, Lower Peñasco,...
Identifier: AC 238
Scope and Content Henry F. Wetter was Secretary of the Territory 1869-1872. Mrs. Wetter accompanied him to Santa Fe and the collection consists of her letters to her family in the East. There are 14 letters totaling 77 written pages, The letters describe conditions in Santa Fe and New Mexico during the period. Also included is a speech delivered by Mr. Wetter upon his return to Pennsylvania. The 58 page manuscript describes the natural resources, people, places and customs of New Mexico. Other memorabilia is...
Identifier: AC 150
Scope and Content The Moles Collection consists of one account ledger and 18 diaries with accompanying enclosures dating from 1908 to 1925.
Identifier: AC 044
Scope and Content Collection consists of 25 journals (1861-1868) kept by John A. Clark, Surveyor of the Territory of New Mexico, a typescript of the journals, and a Confederate Army broadside from 1862. The 25 journals contain 1,943 handwritten diary pages, 48 hand drawn maps, about 50 pages, notes, expenses, lists of distances and miscellaneous sketches. Kitty Shishkin has done the typescript copy of the journals. The journals give detailed daily accounts of the writer's official and personal...
- Subject: New Mexico -- Social life and customs X
- UNM Center for Southwest Research & Special Collections 18
- Fray Angélico Chávez History Library 17
- New Mexico State Records Center and Archives 6
- New Mexico State University Library Archives and Special Collections 6
- New Mexico -- Social life and customs 34
- New Mexico -- Description and travel 6
- New Mexico -- History -- 1848- 6
- Photographs 6
- Santa Fe (N.M.) -- History 6
- Clippings 4
- Diaries 4
- Folklore -- New Mexico 4
- Manuscripts 4
- New Mexico -- History -- To 1848 4
- Oral histories 4
- Account books 3
- Colorado--Social life and customs 3
- Correspondence 3
- Indians of North America -- New Mexico 3
- New Mexico -- History 3
- New Mexico -- Politics and government 3
- Santa Fe (N.M.) -- Description and travel 3
- Santa Fe (N.M.) -- Social life and customs 3
- Addresses 2
- American literature 2
- Artists -- New Mexico 2
- Authors, American -- New Mexico 2
- Broadsides 2
- By-laws 2
- Chimayo (N.M.) -- History 2
- Colorado--Description and travel 2
- Deeds 2
- Education -- New Mexico 2
- Ephemera 2
- Frontier and pioneer life -- New Mexico 2
- Hispanic Americans -- New Mexico 2
- Hispanic Americans -- New Mexico -- Social life and customs 2
- Land grants -- New Mexico 2
- Land titles -- Registration and transfer -- New Mexico 2
- Letters 2
- Maxwell Land Grant (N.M. and Colo.) 2
- Minutes (Records) 2
- New Mexico -- Commerce 2
- New Mexico -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 2
- New Mexico -- Officials and employees 2
- New Mexico -- Politics and government -- 1848-1950 2
- New Mexico -- Religious life and customs 2
- New Mexico -- Social conditions 2
- Santa Fe (N.M.)--Social life and customs 2
- Scrapbooks 2
- Sound recordings 2
- Taos (N.M.) 2
- Tourism -- New Mexico 2
- Women -- New Mexico -- Santa Fe -- Societies and clubs 2
- Women -- New Mexico -- Societies and Clubs 2
- Adobe houses -- New Mexico -- 19th century -- Pictorial works 1
- Adult Education -- Puerto Rico 1
- Advertising 1
- Aged--New Mexico. 1
- Agriculture - Middle West 1
- Agriculture -- Colorado 1
- Agriculture -- New Mexico 1
- Alabados 1
- Allen, Calvin Francis (Frank), 1851-1948 1
- Ambassadors -- United States 1
- American poetry 20th century 1
- American poetry West (U.S.) 1
- Anton Chico Land Grant (N.M.) 1
- Antonio Sandoval Land Grant (N.M.) 1
- Archaeology -- New Mexico 1
- Architecture, Victorian -- New Mexico -- Pictorial works 1
- Argentina -- Politics and government -- 1951- 1
- Argentina -- Relations -- United States 1
- Arizona -- Social life and customs 1
- Arizona--Description and travel 1
- Arizona--History -- To 1912 1
- Articles 1
- Atchison, Topeka, and Sante Fe Railroad Company 1
- Atomic bomb -- Research -- Great Britain -- History 1
- Atomic bomb -- Research -- New Mexico -- Los Alamos -- History 1
- Atomic bomb -- United States -- History 1
- Atomic bomb -- West (U.S.) -- History 1
- Audiocassettes 1
- Authors, American -- 20th century 1
- Authors, American -- New Mexico -- Pictorial works 1
- Automobiles -- 20th century -- Pictorial works 1
- Awards 1
- Bartolome Baca Land Grant (N.M.) 1
- Calendars - New Mexico 1
- Catholic Church -- Missions -- New Mexico 1
- Cattle herding -- New Mexico -- Pictorial works 1
- Chamizal National Memorial (El Paso, Tex.) 1
- Chariot-race from Ben-Hur 1
- Children's stories, American 1
- Chilili Land Grant (N.M.) 1
- Christianity -- New Mexico 1
- Cities and towns -- New Mexico 1
- Cities and towns--U.S. states--New Mexico--Photographs 1
- Civil engineers 1
- Clearcutting -- United States 1
- Cochiti (N.M.) 1
- Cochiti (N.M.) -- Social life and customs 1
- Cochiti Indians -- History 1
- Cochiti Indians -- Social life and customs 1 ∧ less
- English 43
- Undetermined 23
- Spanish; Castilian 4
- German 2
- French 1
- Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway Company 2
- Cassidy, Ina Sizer, 1869-1965 2
- Federal Writers' Project. New Mexico 2
- Thorp, N. Howard (Nathan Howard), 1867-1940 2
- Alfonsín, Raúl, 1927-2009 1
- Charles Ilfeld Company 1
- Chavez, Angelico, 1910-1996 1
- Elkins, Stephen B. (Stephen Benton), 1841-1911 1
- Fred Harvey (Firm) 1
- Lummis, Charles Fletcher, 1859-1928 1
- Ortiz, Frank V., 1926-2005 1
- Prince, L. Bradford (Le Baron Bradford), 1840-1922 1
- Santa Fe New Mexican 1
- Tijerina, Reies 1
- United States. Work Projects Administration 1
- Woman's Club of Albuquerque (Albuquerque, N.M.) 1 ∧ less