Showing Collections: 1 - 18 of 18
Scope and Content Collection consists of Donaciano Vigil's military, family, and personal papers which span the Spanish, Mexican, and U.S. Territorial periods of New Mexico history. Spanish period documents contain land conveyances and abstracts of land primarily in Santa Fe (1770-1803), an inventory of civil and criminal proceedings (1766-1767), and a will (1820). Mexican period documents cover a wide range of New Mexico subjects. Some of the subjects are Vigil's military career (1834-1841), military affairs...
Dates: 1727-1877, bulk 1841-1877
Scope and Content Pamphlet prepared by the Indian Rights Association. (Box 1, Folder 7). This collection focuses on Pueblo Indian legal issues that Francis Wilson was involved with as a private attorney, following his tenure as U.S. Attorney for the Pueblo Indians. Government publications on Pueblo Indian lands, prohibition, irrigation, and Indian schools form the bulk of this collection. Additionally, there is a transcript of the New Mexico Supreme Court Case,...
Scope and Content Collection consists of official papers of Governor Mechem. Correspondence concerns a variety of subjects, including conveyances of federal public lands, the fence controversy at Tesuque Pueblo, the possible creation of a national park on the Mescalero Indian Reservation, and Japanese immigration. Proclamations involve quarantines in response to several types of weevils. Special reports and investigations include the failure of the Santa Fe Bank, discrimination against Spanish-Americans at the...
Dates: 1908-1925 ( bulk 1921-1922)
Scope and Content Collection consists of a broad range of materials from Hagerman's tenure as an Indian Commissioner. Includes congressional hearings and bills, speeches, reports, government publications, minutes of the Senate Indian Affairs Committee, and annual reports of the Secretary of the Interior, the Commissioner of Indian Affairs, the Board of Indian Commissioners, and the Board of Directors of the Indian Rights Association. Most of the materials concern the Pueblo and Navajo Indians and issues such as...
Scope and Content The materials in the collection document Holm O. Bursum's personal life as well as his business and political careers. Correspondence, documents, and news clippings chronicle Bursum's ranching activities, his tenure as warden at the New Mexico State Penitentiary, various election campaigns, Republican Party involvements, and legislative activities. It includes documents relating to the controversial Indian Lands Bill, commonly known as the Bursum Bill. Albert B. Fall, Bronson Cutting and Elfego...
Scope and Content This collection contains correspondence and documents relating to Indian affairs in New Mexico, during the Territorial Period. Most of the materials either originated in Santa Fe, or were sent to Santa Fe from Pueblos including Laguna, Cochiti, Isleta, Zia, Santa Ana, Sandia, San Felipe, Nambe, Jemez, Pojoaque, San Ildefonso, Santa Clara, Santo Domingo, and Taos. Thematically, land issues, specifically, boundary questions, predominate the collection. Controversies concerning water rights,...
Dates: 1684-1903; Majority of material found in 1872-1903
Identifier: AC 334-s
Scope and Content Collection consists of the Jemez Pueblo (N.M.) land grant and plat map, signed by Abraham Lincoln.
Found in: Fray Angélico Chávez History Library
Scope and Content Collection consists of records and correspondence from Manuel Sanchez's law practice. Includes case files, carbon copies of letters sent and legal documents, clients' letters received, briefs, and law reports and related material on a wide range of subjects.
Some materials are in Spanish.
Some materials are in Spanish.
Dates: 1802-1969 (bulk, 1920-1950)
Abstract This collection contains mostly documents related to affairs of Pueblo Indian communities and schools.
Identifier: AC 186-S
Scope and Content Collection consists of two scrapbooks of clippings, pamphlets, and letters, compiled by Ina Sizer Cassidy for the use of Friends of the Pueblo Indians, 1922-1924. Clippings are primarily from the Santa Fe New Mexican and relate to the Pueblo Indians' rights to land. Pamphlets include a legal brief printed by the American Indian Defense Association concerning "white claims" to Indian land, 1922. Assistant Indian Commissioner Edgar B. Merritt's address regarding Pueblo Indian land tenure is also...
Found in: Fray Angélico Chávez History Library
Scope and Content Collection consists primarily of memorandums, documents from hearings, and minutes of meetings of the Pueblo Lands Board. Also included are letters sent and received by Roberts Walker, Chairman of the Pueblo Lands Board, and letters received by Herbert J. Hagerman, U.S. Indian Commissioner authorized to negotiate with the Pueblos. Individual files are present for the Pueblos of Nambe, Pojoaque, Tesuque, Laguna, and Acoma. Materials concerning the Navajo are also present in this collection.
Abstract This collection documents Richard E. Hanna's personal life, political connections, and legal activities relating to property, Indian affairs, natural resources, and administration of L. Bradford Prince's estate.
Dates: 1859-1963; Majority of material found within 1929-1946
Abstract This collection contains the land deed for Sandia Pueblo reflecting its sale to that Pueblo from Pablo Salasar, a typed translation of this deed, and a document from 1830 detailing the assets and debts of Lorenzo Gonzales.
Abstract This collection contains 15 photoprints of documents housed in the archives of Santo Domingo Pueblo regarding the boundaries of Santo Domingo lands.
Abstract This collection documents the professional and personal interests of Sophie D. Aberle. There is an abundance of research materials pertaining to the Pueblo and Navajo Indians, as well as general Native American issues, including relocation. Records pertaining to Aberle's tenure with the United Pueblos Agency, the Commission on the Rights, Liberties, and Responsibilities of the American Indian, and the National Science Board are included in the collection.
Scope and Content Collection consists of civil land records of the Spanish and Mexican period governments of New Mexico, and materials created by the Surveyor General and Court of Private Land Claims during the process of adjudication. Includes petitions for land grants, land conveyances, wills, mine registers, records books, journals, dockets, reports, minutes, letters, and a variety of legal documents. Also within the collection is the Vigil Index, an inventory of the documents in the custody of Donaciano...
Scope and Content The collection contains personal, business, political and legal papers of Thomas B. Catron, 1723-1930. Included is correspondence, legal documents, case records, maps, deeds, campaign literature, newspaper clippings, ledgers, reports and printed material. The collection contains records of 282 cases of the U. S. Court of Private Land Claims, Santa Fe District, 1891-1903, with considerable material on the Anton Chico Grant, Tierra Amarilla Grant, Maxwell Land Grant, and La Bajada Grant. The...
Scope and Content This collection consists of the "Pueblo of Laguna. Report of the Pueblo Lands Board Making Recommendations to the Secretary of the Interior for Compensation to Non-Indian Claimants under Section 7 of the Act of June 7, 1924." The report recommends settlement of the Cebolleta Grant and to Cruz Baca and his wife for lands lost to them through compromises with the Indians of Laguna. The report was submitted by Guy P. Harrington (appointed by the President), ...
- Subject: Pueblo Indians -- Land tenure X
- UNM Center for Southwest Research & Special Collections 10
- New Mexico State Records Center and Archives 6
- Fray Angélico Chávez History Library 2
- Pueblo Indians -- Land tenure 8
- Pueblo Indians--Land tenure 6
- New Mexico -- History -- To 1848 4
- New Mexico's Digital Collections 4
- Water rights -- New Mexico 4
- Conveyances 3
- New Mexico -- Politics and government -- 1848-1950 3
- New Mexico--Ethnic relations 3
- Wills 3
- Account books 2
- Addresses 2
- Americans -- Mexico 2
- Annual reports 2
- Columbus (N.M.) -- History 2
- Governors -- New Mexico 2
- Indian agents--New Mexico 2
- Land grants -- New Mexico 2
- Land tenure--New Mexico--Santo Domingo Pueblo 2
- Land tenure--Santa Clara Pueblo (N.M.) 2
- Legal files 2
- Minutes (Records) 2
- Navajo Indians -- Government relations 2
- Navajo Indians--Land tenure 2
- New Mexico -- History -- 1848- 2
- Oil and gas leases--New Mexico 2
- Pueblo Indians --Land tenure 2
- Pueblo Indians--Education--History 2
- Railroads--Right of way--New Mexico 2
- Reports 2
- Tesuque Pueblo (N.M.) 2
- Abstracts 1
- Acoma (N.M.) 1
- Acoma Indians -- History 1
- Administrative agencies -- New Mexico 1
- Administrative reports 1
- Affidavits 1
- Agricultural pests -- New Mexico 1
- Albuquerque (N.M.) -- Planning 1
- Alcohol -- Law and Legislation -- New Mexico 1
- Anton Chico Land Grant (N.M.) 1
- Antonio Martinez Land Grant (N.M.) 1
- Archives --New Mexico--Catalogs 1
- Bills, Legislative 1
- Boarding schools -- New Mexico 1
- Business records -- New Mexico 1
- Cebolleta Grant (N.M.) 1
- Chelly, Canyon de (Ariz.) 1
- Citizenship papers 1
- Civil procedure -- New Mexico 1
- Contracts 1
- Correspondence 1
- Criminal procedure -- New Mexico 1
- Decrees 1
- Deeds -- New Mexico -- Sandia Pueblo 1
- Diaries 1
- Ditches--New Mexico 1
- Dockets 1
- Documentary evidence in reference to the Laguna Indian Pueblo 1
- Education--New Mexico 1
- Electioneering -- New Mexico 1
- Elections -- New Mexico 1
- Estate inventories 1
- Extradition -- New Mexico 1
- Family papers 1
- Floods -- New Mexico -- Dona Ana County 1
- Floods -- New Mexico -- Lemitar 1
- Franciscans --Missions--New Mexico 1
- Hearings 1
- Hispanic Americans -- Southwest, New -- Social life and customs 1
- Homestead law -- New Mexico 1
- Homestead law--New Mexico 1
- Hopi Indians--Land tenure 1
- Indian land transfers --Arizona 1
- Indian land transfers --New Mexico 1
- Indian reservations--Arizona 1
- Indian reservations--New Mexico 1
- Indian termination policy 1
- Indians of North America -- Alcohol Use -- New Mexico 1
- Indians of North America -- Education -- New Mexico 1
- Indians of North America -- Government relations -- 1934- 1
- Indians of North America -- Land tenure 1
- Indians of North America -- Legal status, laws, etc. 1
- Indians of North America--Education--History--20th century 1
- Indians of North America--Social conditions 1
- Infant Mortality 1
- Irrigation canals and flumes -- Southwest, New 1
- Japanese Americans -- Legal status, laws, etc. 1
- Jemez Pueblo (N.M.) 1
- Klamath Indians--Government relations 1
- La Majada Land Grant (N.M.) 1
- Laguna (N.M.) 1
- Laguna (N.M.) -- Land tenure 1
- Laguna Indians -- History 1
- Land Grants--New Mexico--Tierra Amarilla Region 1
- Land grants - New Mexico 1
- Land grants --New Mexico 1
- Land grants--New Mexico 1
- Land grants--New Mexico--Santo Domingo Pueblo 1
- Land tenure -- New Mexico 1
- Land tenure--Isleta Peublo (N.M.) 1 ∧ less
- English 17
- Undetermined 8
- Spanish; Castilian 2
- Collier, John, 1884-1968 3
- United States. Pueblo Lands Board 3
- Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railroad Company 2
- Fall, Albert B. (Albert Bacon), 1861-1944 2
- Hagerman, Herbert J. (Herbert James), 1871-1935 2
- United States. Bureau of Indian Affairs 2
- Aberle, Sophie D., 1899-1996 1
- All Indian Pueblo Council 1
- Baca, Elfego, 1864-1945 1
- Bandelier, Adolph Francis Alphonse, 1840-1914 1
- Brophy, William A. (William Aloysius), 1903-1962 1
- Cassidy, Ina Sizer, 1869-1965 1
- Catron & Catron 1
- Catron, C. C. 1
- Catron, Julia A., 1857-1909 1
- Catron, Thomas Benton, 1840-1921 1
- Cutting, Bronson M., 1888-1935 1
- Elkins, Stephen B. (Stephen Benton), 1841-1911 1
- Friends of the Pueblo Indians 1
- Hanna, Richard H 1
- Hanna, Wilson, and Brophy 1
- Hewett, Edgar L. (Edgar Lee), 1865-1946 1
- Lincoln, Abraham, 1809-1865 1
- Navajo Oil Company 1
- Otero, Miguel Antonio, 1859-1944 1
- Prince, L. Bradford (Le Baron Bradford), 1840-1922 1
- United States. Bureau of Indian Affairs. United Pueblos Agency 1
- United States. Office of Indian Affairs. Pueblo Agency 1
- University of New Mexico. Center for Southwest Research 1 ∧ less