Showing Collections: 1 - 25 of 27
Adolph Bandelier Collection
Identifier: AC 012
Scope and Content The Bandelier collection consists of artifacts, documents, illustrations, maps, and photographs. For the most part all are in stable condition. The bulk of the collection came to the library upon the death of Mrs. Fanny Ritter Bandelier in accordance with the terms of her will. Other Bandelier memorabilia and artifacts were donated by various persons who were friends of the Bandeliers. Journals Of the document portion of the collection,...
Dates: August 28-December 15 -
Catholic Church Report Regarding New Mexico Missions
Abstract This collection contains records regarding the status of the various missions in northern New Mexico in 1794 as communicated to the Province of the Holy Evangel of Our Holy Father San Francisco of Mexico City.
Charles H. Lange Collection
Identifier: AC 394
Scope and Content Collection contains drafts/transcriptions for the Adolph Bandelier diaries covering 1885 - 1892 (published in four volumes by the University of New Mexico Press). Included are transcripts of Bandelier material from 1880 - 1891 prepared by A. J. O. Anderson and Fanny Bandelier. A file of approximately 820 index cards with names is also included.
Documents from the Archivo General de Indias and other related archives
Abstract The collection contains selected Spanish documents copied from the Archivo General de Indias and other archives in Spain, the Vatican Library, and U.S. Libraries, with related transcriptions and notes. Mainly focused on the colonial history of New Mexico and New Spain, with some materials for the Caribbean, Latin America, Philippines, and the U.S. Borderlands.
Dates: 1508-1821; Majority of material found within 1521-1780
Documents from the Archivo General de La Nación de México and other related archives
Abstract The collection contains selected Spanish documents copied from the Archivo General de La Nación and other archives in Mexico City, with related transcriptions and notes. The collection is mainly focused on the colonial history of New Mexico and New Spain, with some materials for the Caribbean, Latin America and the U.S. Borderlands.
Donaciano Vigil Collection,
Scope and Content Collection consists of Donaciano Vigil's military, family, and personal papers which span the Spanish, Mexican, and U.S. Territorial periods of New Mexico history. Spanish period documents contain land conveyances and abstracts of land primarily in Santa Fe (1770-1803), an inventory of civil and criminal proceedings (1766-1767), and a will (1820). Mexican period documents cover a wide range of New Mexico subjects. Some of the subjects are Vigil's military career (1834-1841), military affairs...
Dates: 1727-1877, bulk 1841-1877
France V. Scholes Papers
Abstract The France V. Scholes Papers contain research and teaching notes, maps and correspondence about the colonial history of Mexico, Yucatan and New Mexico, with some related material about the Caribbean, Central and Latin America. The collection also includes academic and personal information.
Dates: 1492-1979; Majority of material found within 1521-1700
Frances Léon Quintana Papers
Abstract This collection documents the life and career of anthropologist, Frances Léon Quintana, in the Southwest, mainly between 1960 and 1999. The collection consists of published and unpublished works, field notes, lecture notes, project proposals and reports, general and project correspondence, biographical and job-related materials, political petitions, statements, testimonies, and some news clippings.
Dates: 1705-2012; Majority of material found within 1960-1999
Francis Cushman Wilson Papers on Pueblo Legal Issues
Scope and Content Pamphlet prepared by the Indian Rights Association. (Box 1, Folder 7). This collection focuses on Pueblo Indian legal issues that Francis Wilson was involved with as a private attorney, following his tenure as U.S. Attorney for the Pueblo Indians. Government publications on Pueblo Indian lands, prohibition, irrigation, and Indian schools form the bulk of this collection. Additionally, there is a transcript of the New Mexico Supreme Court Case,...
George Wharton James Photograph Collection
Abstract Photographs from the collection of California writer and promoter of the West, George Wharton James. Among these photographs of Native American subjects are views of Southwestern pueblos (Isleta, Laguna, Zuni, Hopi), feasts (St. Stephen's Day at Acoma) and ceremonies (Hopi Snake Dance), and various Navajo subjects (weaving, baskets, dwellings, death). Several photographs show interactions between Native American and Hispanic American or Anglo American peoples on feast days, at ceremonies, and...
Holm O. Bursum Papers
Scope and Content The materials in the collection document Holm O. Bursum's personal life as well as his business and political careers. Correspondence, documents, and news clippings chronicle Bursum's ranching activities, his tenure as warden at the New Mexico State Penitentiary, various election campaigns, Republican Party involvements, and legislative activities. It includes documents relating to the controversial Indian Lands Bill, commonly known as the Bursum Bill. Albert B. Fall, Bronson Cutting and Elfego...
Ina Sizer Cassidy Collection,
Identifier: AC 036
Scope and Content The collection includes Cassidy's correspondence, manuscripts, and newspaper clippings dealing with Pueblo Indians. Also included are copies of correspondence by Richard Kern, who was an artist on the Fremont Expedition of 1848-49.
Dates: 1921-1961; 1848-49; 1912; 1935-1939
John L. Sinclair Papers
Scope and Content The Sinclair Papers, consisting of fiction and non-fiction manuscript materials from the inception of an idea to the published form, comprise an essentially complete record of John Sinclair's long writing career. Additionally, the Sinclair collection is significant for its attention to regional subject matter--the history and lore of the Southwest. Covering the gamut of New Mexico's multicultural heritage from historical facts to tall tales to spiritual realms, Sinclair's writings reflect his...
Julius Hartmann Papers
Abstract This collection contains the papers of Father Julius Hartman, a Catholic priest in New Mexico. The materials relate to his work and life during his service at various New Mexican parishes and Catholic institutions.
Dates: 1879-1985; Majority of material found within 1910-1969
L. Bradford Prince Papers,
Scope and Content Collection consists of the personal papers and research materials of L. Bradford Prince. The political issues and elections series includes political cartoons and clippings, documentation on the governorship of Miguel A. Otero including the Otero-Burke-Sherman alleged public land fraud (1908), documentation on the removal of Governor Herbert Hagerman from office (1907), legislative bills (1892-1921), and clippings and notes pertaining to several New Mexico political elections. The contemporary...
Laura Gilpin Photograph Collection
Abstract The Laura Gilpin Photograph Collection consists of various prints and postcards of southwestern and American Indian themes, Southwestern pottery, and IAIA student artwork.
Dates: 1925-1964; Majority of material found in 1946-1964
Found in: Institute of American Indian Arts
New Mexico Indian Affairs Historical Documents
Abstract This collection contains mostly documents related to affairs of Pueblo Indian communities and schools.
New Mexico Indian Education Association Records
Abstract MS013 consists of materials originating from the New Mexico Indian Education Association's administrative and publication activities.
Dates: 1981-2009; Majority of material found in 1990-1995
Found in: Institute of American Indian Arts
Sally Noe collection of Gallup oral histories and Southwest Native American music
Abstract This collection contains oral history interviews, conducted in the 1980s-1990s with non-Native American people who describe their lives in the Gallup area. Their recollections date back to the early and mid-1900s. Interviewees include Indian trading post owners, rug traders, miners, railroad workers, loggers, ranchers, teachers, business operators, politicians, a Medal of Honor winner and a movie star stand-in. There are also several recordings of Navajo, Pueblo and Comanche music from ca....
Dates: circa 1920-2011; Majority of material found within (, 1979-1990)
Sandia Pueblo Land Deed
Abstract This collection contains the land deed for Sandia Pueblo reflecting its sale to that Pueblo from Pablo Salasar, a typed translation of this deed, and a document from 1830 detailing the assets and debts of Lorenzo Gonzales.
Santa Fe Indian School: The First 100 Years Project
Scope and Content Santa Fe Indian School: The First 100 Years Project consists of 51 cassette tapes comprising 31 oral history interviews, 27 transcripts, photocopies of photographs (the originals are held at SFIS), the exhibition catalog, One House, One Voice, One Heart: Native American Education at the Santa Fe Indian School, and assorted biographies, correspondence, and clippings. There are no cassettes for interview numbers 6, 11, 24, and...
Santo Domingo Pueblo Documents
Abstract This collection contains 15 photoprints of documents housed in the archives of Santo Domingo Pueblo regarding the boundaries of Santo Domingo lands.
Spanish Archives of New Mexico I,
Scope and Content Collection consists of civil land records of the Spanish and Mexican period governments of New Mexico, and materials created by the Surveyor General and Court of Private Land Claims during the process of adjudication. Includes petitions for land grants, land conveyances, wills, mine registers, records books, journals, dockets, reports, minutes, letters, and a variety of legal documents. Also within the collection is the Vigil Index, an inventory of the documents in the custody of Donaciano...
Spanish Archives of New Mexico II,
Scope and Content Collection consists of administrative, civil, military, and ecclesiastical records of the Spanish colonial government in New Mexico, 1621-1821. Records cover both the local and provincial levels, and include correspondence between officials in Santa Fe and Mexico. Few pre-Revolt documents are contained in this collection. Significant documents from the Pueblo Revolt period (1680-1693) include Antonio de Otermin's 1681 journal of the attempted reconquest of New Mexico, and various administrative...
Troop I, First New Mexico Cavalry Photograph
Abstract This photograph depicts members of Troop I, First New Mexico Cavalry which chased Geronimo into the Mogollon area in May or June, 1885.
- UNM Center for Southwest Research & Special Collections 18
- New Mexico State Records Center and Archives 4
- Fray Angélico Chávez History Library 3
- Institute of American Indian Arts 2
- New Mexico -- History -- To 1848 9
- Diaries 4
- New Mexico -- History 4
- New Mexico -- History -- 1848- 4
- Provincias Internas (New Spain) -- History 4
- Archaeology -- Southwest, New 3
- Conveyances 3
- Letters 3
- New Mexico -- Politics and government -- 1848-1950 3
- Photographs 3
- Publications 3
- Pueblo Indians -- History 3
- Pueblo Indians -- Land tenure 3
- Wills 3
- Account books 2
- Aztecs -- History 2
- California--History -- to 1846 2
- Church and state -- New Mexico 2
- Coahuila (Mexico: State) -- History 2
- Decrees 2
- El Paso (Tex.) -- History 2
- Florida--History--to 1821 2
- Franciscans --Missions--New Mexico 2
- Governors -- New Mexico 2
- Guatemala--History--To 1821 2
- Indians of North America -- Education -- New Mexico -- History 2
- Indians of North America -- Government relations 2
- Land tenure--New Mexico--Santo Domingo Pueblo 2
- Land titles --Registration and transfer--New Mexico 2
- Legal documents 2
- Louisiana -- History -- to 1803 2
- Manuscripts 2
- Mestizaje 2
- Minutes (Records) 2
- New Mexico -- Church History 2
- New Mexico -- History -- 17th century 2
- New Mexico--Ethnic relations 2
- New Spain -- History -- Sources 2
- Petitions 2
- Pueblo Indians 2
- Pueblo Indians -- New Mexico 2
- Pueblo Indians --History 2
- Pueblo Indians--Land tenure 2
- Sandia Pueblo (N.M.) -- History 2
- Sound recordings 2
- Spain --Colonies--America--Administration 2
- Translations 2
- Ute Indians -- History 2
- Water rights -- New Mexico 2
- Acoma (N.M.) -- History 1
- Acoma Indians -- History 1
- Acoma Indians -- Land tenure 1
- Administrative records 1
- Administrative reports 1
- Agriculture --New Mexico--History 1
- Alabados 1
- Alaska -- Exploration and discovery -- Russian 1
- Alaska -- Exploration and discovery -- Russian -- History 1
- Alcohol -- Law and Legislation -- New Mexico 1
- Americans -- Mexico 1
- Americans --Mexico 1
- Antonio Martinez Land Grant (N.M.) 1
- Apache Indians -- History 1
- Apaches -- History 1
- Archaeology -- Mexico 1
- Archives --New Mexico--Catalogs 1
- Arizona--History 1
- Art--Indian--Southwest--New 1
- Artists -- New Mexico 1
- Authors, American -- Southwest, New 1
- Bilingualism 1
- Blacks -- Mexico -- History 1
- Blacks -- Mexico -- History -- Sources 1
- Boarding Schools -- New Mexico -- History 1
- Boarding Schools -- United States -- History 1
- Boarding schools--New Mexico 1
- Boundary disputes 1
- Caciques (Indian leaders) -- Mexico 1
- Cartes-de-visite (card photographs) 1
- Catholic Church -- Mexico 1
- Catholic Church -- Missions -- New Mexico 1
- Cavalry -- United States -- New Mexico -- Pictorial works 1
- Celebrities --New Mexico 1
- Census records 1
- Christianity -- Conversion 1
- Church buildings -- New Mexico 1
- Citizenship papers 1
- Cityscape photographs 1
- Civil procedure -- New Mexico 1
- Cliff-dwellings -- History -- Pictorial works. 1
- Clippings 1
- Collodion printing-out paper prints 1
- Comanche Indians --History 1
- Conversion -- Christianity 1
- Conversion -– Christianity 1
- Correspondence 1
- Cowboys -- New Mexico 1
- Cowboys --Poetry 1
- Criminal procedure -- New Mexico 1
- Curriculum Development 1 ∧ less
- English 26
- Spanish; Castilian 6
- Undetermined 6
- French 1
- German 1
- Mayan languages 1
- Navajo; Navaho 1 ∧ less
- Bandelier, Adolph Francis Alphonse, 1840-1914 2
- Bloom, Lansing Bartlett, 1880- 2
- Fall, Albert B. (Albert Bacon), 1861-1944 2
- United States. Bureau of Indian Affairs 2
- Aberle, Sophie D., 1899-1996 1
- Anderson, Arthur J. O., 1907-1996 1
- Anza, Juan Bautista de, 1735-1788 1
- Applegate, Frank G. (Frank Guy), 1881-1931 1
- Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railroad Company 1
- Austin, Mary, 1868-1934 1
- Baca, Elfego, 1864-1945 1
- Cassidy, Gerald, 1869-1934 1
- Cassidy, Ina Sizer, 1869-1965 1
- Coronado, Francisco Vásquez de, 1510-1554 1
- Cutting, Bronson M., 1888-1935 1
- Ellis, Florence Hawley 1
- Gilpin, Laura, 1891-1979 1
- Hagerman, Herbert J. (Herbert James), 1871-1935 1
- Hewett, Edgar L. (Edgar Lee), 1865-1946 1
- Institute of American Indian Arts 1
- James, George Wharton, 1858-1923 1
- La Fonda (Hotel : Santa Fe, N.M.) 1
- Laboratory of Anthropology (Museum of New Mexico) 1
- Lummis, Charles Fletcher, 1859-1928 1
- Maude, F. H. (Frederic Hamer) 1
- New Mexico. Department of Education 1
- Prince, L. Bradford (Le Baron Bradford), 1840-1922 1
- Tijerina, Reies 1
- Waters, Frank, 1902-1995 1
- Western Writers of America 1
- Wittick, Ben, 1845-1903 1 ∧ less