Showing Collections: 1 - 25 of 25
Abstract This is a copy of the field recordings made by Charlotte S. Johnson on the Navajo Reservation in 1963-1965. There are large segments of Navajo dialogue with English translations. The collection contains a wide range of songs and oral histories that provide an in depth view of Navajo religion, society and history.
Abstract Educational posters of Diné (Navajo) cultural and religious emergence stories, migration and settlement history.
Abstract This small collection consists of records related to compensation for Navajo uranium miners who contracted cancer and silicosis due to radiation exposure.
Abstract This collection contains correspondence and research materials used by Donald L. Parman for his book The Navajos and the New Deal. The collection offers a grounded perspective about Navajo life during the New Deal era along with in-depth discussions about how tribal council leaders and the United States federal government worked within respectful yet contentious relationships in terms of reservation life, education and health issues, and land rights.
Dates: 1883-1994; Majority of material found within 1933-1944
Abstract This collection contains materials generated from Eda Gordon's work on behalf of Native American peoples on issues relating to energy development and exploitation on native lands, the Navajo-Hopi land dispute, and tribal sovereignty.
Dates: 1974-2002; Majority of material found within 1974-1983
Abstract The collection contains a manuscript and photographs of Effie Paige Eddy's trip to Pueblo, Hopi, and Navajo communities in Arizona and New Mexico.
Dates: 1925-1960; Majority of material found in Placeholder Unit Date Text
Abstract This collection contains three volumes of a detailed manuscript written by George Peter Hammond entitled "Navajo-Hopi Relations," which addresses the history of these two tribes between 1540 and 1956. The subtext speaks to the role of the U.S. government and military, missionaries, and other tribes in those relations.
Scope and Content Collection consists of official papers of Governor Hockenhull. Includes correspondence with and reports from various state agencies concerning a broad range of issues such as labor, public lands, natural resource conservation, and mining, as well as materials relating to the Rio Grande Compact Commission, the Canadian River Commission, the Gallup Coal Strike of 1933, and extension of the Navajo Reservation. Also within the collection are many special reports from various New Deal programs in...
Scope and Content Collection consists of official papers of Governor Seligman. Includes correspondence with and reports from various state agencies concerning a broad range of issues such as labor, public lands, natural resource conservation, and mining, with significant materials on the Gallup Coal Strike of 1933 and extension of the Navajo Reservation. Also within the collection is Seligman's pardon of former U.S. Senator A.B. Fall; many special reports from early New Deal programs in New Mexico; letters to...
Scope and Content Collection consists of official papers of Governor Tingley. Includes correspondence with and reports from various state agencies concerning a broad range of issues such as labor and natural resource conservation, as well as materials relating to New Mexico land grants, extension of the Navajo Reservation, and the celebration of the 400th anniversary of Coronado's arrival in New Mexico. Also within the collection are many special reports from various New Deal programs in New Mexico, and...
Scope and Content Collection consists of official papers of Governor Hinkle. Includes correspondence with and reports from various state agencies concerning a broad range of issues such as natural resource conservation, extension of the Navajo reservation, and Indian land rights. Most of the conservation materials relate to reclamation projects involving the Canadian, Rio Grande, Pecos, Colorado, and La Plata rivers. Also within the collection is correspondence with New Mexico's congressional delegation,...
Dates: 1917-1924 (bulk 1923-1924)
Scope and Content Collection consists of official and personal papers of Governor Miles. Includes correspondence with and reports from various state agencies concerning a broad range of issues such as labor, natural resource conservation, enforcement of the Hatch Act, establishment of the Four Corners Monument, establishment of a Mormon Battalion Monument, and extension of the Navajo Reservation. Also within this collection are reports and other materials concerning the Pecos River Commission, Rio Grande Compact...
Scope and Content Collection consists of a broad range of materials from Hagerman's tenure as an Indian Commissioner. Includes congressional hearings and bills, speeches, reports, government publications, minutes of the Senate Indian Affairs Committee, and annual reports of the Secretary of the Interior, the Commissioner of Indian Affairs, the Board of Indian Commissioners, and the Board of Directors of the Indian Rights Association. Most of the materials concern the Pueblo and Navajo Indians and issues such as...
Abstract This collection documents John Redhouse's activities and involvement with projects and issues relating to Native sovereignty and environmental justice. Included are proposals, reports, correspondence, news clippings, articles, and publications.
Scope and Content The bulk of this collection consists of working papers, drafts, and typescripts of poems written by Luci Tapahonso. There are several manuscripts of poetry collections, including A Breeze Swept Through and One More Shiprock Night. Tapahonso's essays, short stories, and plays are also included in the collection, as well as a small component of class materials, correspondence, interviews, and event programs. Luci Tapahonso writes...
Dates: 1976- ongoing
Abstract Papers relate to Navajo research: ethnobotany, bear ceremonialism, pottery, rock art, as well as California archaeology, anthropology, museum issues, and other general topics. Includes field notes, manuscripts, letters, maps, photographs.
Abstract The core of this small collection is a photocopy of the first draft of Mary Cabot Wheelwright's unpublished autobiography, "Journey Towards Understanding."
Abstract This collection contains the records of the National Indian Youth Council. The records relate to administrative and organizational issues and activities such as voting rights protection, American Indian religious freedom issues, political participation projects, treaty rights protection, public education, international work, and job training/placement.
Dates: 1935-2000 (bulk 1961-1993)
Identifier: MSS -622-BC
Scope and Content This oral history project consists of 26 individual interviews with former uranium miners or family members of the Navajo Tribe on 26 different cassette tapes. This collection also contains 14 DVDs containing 3 interviews, scenery shots from the mines and the area where the miners lived, as well as some miscellaneous, untranscribed interviews.The interviews were conducted in either Navajo or English by Mr. Benally. Most interviews, or excerpts from them, were transcribed in both...
Abstract The collection contains photographs which depict former Navajo uranium miners from the Four Corners area and members of their families.
Abstract The bulk of the collection is made up of material related to the Navajo Indians. It documents Navajo people, reservations, and various projects and programs related to education, health, industrial and resource development, and construction.
Abstract This collection documents activities of the American Indian Movement (AIM), including the takeover of Wounded Knee, Pine Ridge Reservation, South Dakota by AIM. Also documented are the circumstances underlying the takeover, the aftermath, and individual court cases associated with Wounded Knee and the American Indian Movement. Materials relevant to Native American issues such as sovereignty, land, water, resources, health and education are also included in the collection.
Dates: 1965-1995 (bulk 1973-1979)
Abstract The collection consists of Ronald Kurtz' field journal and field notes, as well as census data, court records, school records, drafts of unpublished papers, and historical research gathered for his dissertation, "Role Change and Cultural Change: The Cañoncito Navajo Case."
Dates: 1945-1963; Majority of material found in 1957
Abstract This scrapbook contains summaries with black and white photographs of Pueblo, Navajo, and Apache communities. The bulk of the collection dates in the 1950s and contains a 1 page summaries with 2-3 black and white photographs of architectural buildings
Abstract The collection consists of photographs from William Egbert Schenck’s 1921 road trip through Indian country and the Southwest.
- Subject: Navajo Indian Reservation X
- UNM Center for Southwest Research & Special Collections 17
- New Mexico State Records Center and Archives 6
- Indian Pueblo Cultural Center Library Archives 2
- Navajo Indian Reservation 8
- Addresses 6
- Annual reports 6
- Administrative agencies -- New Mexico 5
- Extradition -- New Mexico 5
- Indians of North America -- Government relations 5
- Navajo Indians -- Land tenure 5
- New Mexico -- Officials and employees 5
- New Mexico -- Politics and government -- 1848-1950 5
- Proclamations 5
- State government records 5
- Water resources development -- New Mexico 5
- Conservation of natural resources -- New Mexico 3
- Hopi Indians -- Land tenure 3
- Hopi Indians -- Relocation 3
- Indians of North America -- Civil rights 3
- Indians of North America -- Legal status, laws, etc. 3
- Navajo Indians -- History 3
- Navajo Indians -- Relocation 3
- Pardon -- New Mexico 3
- Photographs 3
- Acoma Pueblo (N.M.) 2
- Conservation of natural resources--New Mexico 2
- Energy development -- Navajo Indian Reservation 2
- Governors -- New Mexico 2
- Governors--New Mexico 2
- Hopi Indian Reservation (Ariz.) 2
- Indians of North America -- Education 2
- Indians of North America -- Pictorial works 2
- Labor -- New Mexico 2
- Labor--New Mexico 2
- Landscape photographs 2
- Mural painting and decoration 2
- Navajo Indian Reservation -- Boundaries 2
- Navajo Indian Reservation -- Pictorial works 2
- Navajo Indians -- Education 2
- Navajo Indians -- Social life and customs 2
- Navajo mythology 2
- New Deal, 1933-1939 -- New Mexico -- History 2
- New Deal, 1933-1939--New Mexico 2
- Oral histories 2
- Pardon--New Mexico 2
- Public lands--New Mexico 2
- Pueblo of Isleta, New Mexico 2
- Pueblo of Jemez, New Mexico 2
- Pueblo of Santa Clara, New Mexico 2
- Pueblo of Taos, New Mexico 2
- American literature--Indian authors 1
- Archaeology -- Arizona -- Antiquities -- Pictorial works 1
- Archaeology -- California 1
- Archaeology -- New Mexico 1
- Archaeology -- Southwest, New 1
- Arizona -- Navajo Nation, Arizona, New Mexico & Utah 1
- Arizona--History 1
- Autobiographies 1
- Bears -- Folklore 1
- Bears -- Religious aspects 1
- Bills, Legislative 1
- Boarding schools -- Arizona -- History 1
- Breeze Swept Through 1
- Cattle -- Marking -- Pictorial works 1
- Cañoncito Navajo Indian Reservation (N.M.) 1
- Cañoncito Navajo Indian Reservation (N.M.) -- History 1
- Cañoncito Navajo Indian Reservation (N.M.) -- Social life and customs 1
- Chelly, Canyon de (Ariz.) 1
- Civil defense --New Mexico 1
- Clinics -- Arizona -- Many Farms -- Pictorial works 1
- Coal gasification -- New Mexico--San Juan County 1
- Coal mines and mining -- Environmental aspects -- Navajo Indian Reservation 1
- Coal mines and mining -- Environmental aspects -- New Mexico 1
- Color separation negatives 1
- Discrimination in education -- United States 1
- Discrimination in employment 1
- Education and state -- Hopi Indian Reservation (Ariz.) 1
- Education and state -- Navajo Indian Reservation 1
- Elections -- Arizona -- Pictorial works 1
- Energy development--Navajo Indian Reservation 1
- Environmental protection -- Navajo Indian Reservation 1
- Excavations (Archaeology) -- California 1
- Excavations (Archaeology) -- New Mexico 1
- Field notes 1
- Film negatives 1
- Four Corners Region 1
- Government, Resistance to--United States. 1
- Governors -- New Mexico. 1
- Grand Canyon (Ariz.) -- Pictorial works 1
- Hearings 1
- Hopi Indian Reservation (Ariz.) -- Pictorial works 1
- Hopi Indians -- Agriculture 1
- Hopi Indians -- Education 1
- Hopi Indians -- Government relations 1
- Hopi Indians -- History 1
- Hopi Indians -- Politics and government 1
- Hopi Indians -- Population -- Statistics 1
- Hopi Indians -- Rites and ceremonies 1
- Hopi Indians -- Social life and customs 1
- Hopi women -- Pictorial works 1
- Illustrations 1
- Indian dance -- Southwest, New 1
- Indian land transfers -- Arizona 1 ∧ less
- English 24
- Undetermined 7
- Navajo; Navaho 2
- Chavez, Dennis, 1888-1962 5
- Civilian Conservation Corps (U.S.) 4
- Cutting, Bronson M., 1888-1935 3
- United States. Bureau of Indian Affairs 3
- Collier, John, 1884-1968 2
- Adair, John, 1913-1997 1
- American Indian Movement 1
- Anderson, Clinton Presba, 1895-1975 1
- Aquash, Anna Mae, 1945-1976 1
- Brugge, Doug 1
- Fall, Albert B. (Albert Bacon), 1861-1944 1
- Farmer, Malcolm F. 1
- Finzel, Roger A. 1
- Hagerman, Herbert J. (Herbert James), 1871-1935 1
- Jones, Andrieus Aristieus, 1862-1927 1
- Navajo and Hopi Indian Relocation Commission 1
- New Mexico. Governor (1939-1942 : Miles) 1
- Peltier, Leonard 1
- Robideau, Robert E. 1
- Tingley, Clyde 1
- United States. Pueblo Lands Board 1
- United States. Work Projects Administration 1
- Wittick, Ben, 1845-1903 1
- Wounded Knee Legal Defense/Offense Committee 1 ∧ less