Showing Collections: 1 - 25 of 45
Abe M. Peña papers
Abstract Business, professional and personal papers of Abelicio Marquez Peña, New Mexico sheep rancher, politician, foreign diplomat, writer and alumnus of the New Mexico College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts (New Mexico State University).
Dates: 1894-2004; Majority of material found in Placeholder Unit Date Text
Abelicio M. Peña Journals on Latin America
Abstract The Abelicio M. Peña journals on Latin America consist of his handwritten entries made while on assignment in Latin America. They provide insight into Latin America from the perspective of a foreign service operative with the Peace Corp and U.S.A.I.D, as well as commentary upon his return to the United States in between appointments and upon his retirement.
Found in: National Hispanic Cultural Center
Alfonso Sanchez papers
Abstract Alfonso Sanchez was the District Attorney for Rio Arriba County during the land struggle of Reies Lopez Tijerina and the Alianza Federal de las Mercedes. The collection consists of biographical materials pertaining to Alfonso Sanchez, as well as materials pertaining to the Tierra Amarillo land grant and Reies Lopez Tijerina.
Dates: 1856-2004; Majority of material found within 1955-1970
Alice Lee Marriott Typescript and Letters
Identifier: MSS -643-SC
Scope and Content This small collection consists of a photocopy typescript, "Spanish-American Folk Stories of some New Mexico Saints" and 7 typed letters from Marriott to Clark Kimball of Rydal Press in Santa Fe, (1985-1989). The manuscript is written in the vernacular of an old Spanish-American dialect of English in which her friend Jos? de la Cruz Romero relayed the stories of the saints to Marriott. The letters primarily discuss the potential for publication of this manuscript.
Angélico Chavez Research Papers
Scope and Content This collection is limited to the research notes for Fray Angélico Chavez' work entitled, New Mexico Roots Ltd, 1678-1869 (11 Volumes), 1982 which consist of biographical information gathered from the Diligencias Matrimoniales (DM's) 1678-1869 (Pre-Nuptial Investigations) required by the Catholic Church. Most of the DM's are housed within the Archives of the Archdiocese of Santa Fe. The collection consists of twenty-six (26) notebooks of research...
Atrisco Oral History Project
Scope and Content The Atrisco Oral History Project, also known as Herencia: The Atrisco Community, was conducted over nine months in 1984, with the exception of one interview which was conducted in 1981. The project was directed by Dr. Raymond Burrola and consists of interviews with 35 residents of the Atrisco area in Albuquerque's South Valley. The project was sponsored by the Southwest Hispanic Research Institute at the University of New Mexico, in conjunction with the Albuquerque Museum and University of New...
Dates: 1981-1984, (bulk 1984)
Barelas Community Project Pictorial Collection
Abstract Collection consists of photographs documenting the life of Hispanic Americans living in the Barelas community in Albuquerque, N.M. in the years 1973-1974. Collection also contains other photos of Barelas neighborhood taken between 1880 and 1974.
Clark S. Knowlton Collection,
Scope and Content Collection contains the 18 linear feet of correspondence between Dr. Knowlton, colleagues, students, and publishers. Dr. Knowlton's manuscripts relating to his field of research are included, some of which have been published in professional journals. Professor Knowlton also collected manuscripts written by colleagues and students on subjects relating to Mexican-Americans, Bilingual Education and Native American issues. Also within the collection are 23 linear feet of reports, committee...
Cobb Memorial Photography Collection
Abstract The Cobb Memorial Photography Collection is consists of photographic prints made, for the most part, by The Cobbs Studio of Albuquerque, New Mexico.
Collection on Santa Fe politics, Debbie Jaramillo, and the making of the video documentary, "This town is not for sale!"
Abstract Collection of news articles, correspondence, political data and scripts and videotapes regarding the City of Santa Fe, the politics of the 1994 mayoral campaign, Mayor Debbie Jaramillo and the making of the documentary "This Town Is Not For Sale!"
Dates: 1984-2000; Majority of material found within 1993-1999
Consuelo and Nora Chavez Collection,
Identifier: AC 287
Scope and Content Collection consists of material on AngÃ©lico ChÃ¡vez. Material includes clippings on his writings; the seminary newsletter Brown and White, which he edited for several years; designs for book title pages; conference and meeting material. Also included in the collection are legal documents relating to the ChÃ¡vez family and the ChÃ¡vez Family Association and two scrapbooks with clippings covering the early career of AngÃ©lico ChÃ¡vez.
Found in: Fray Angélico Chávez History Library
Consuelo Luz Entriega Recording
Abstract The collection consists of one recording of the special Hispanic wedding entriega song composed and sung in Spanish and English by Consuelo Luz for the Southwest Hispanic Arts Curriculum Symposium at the University of New Mexico in 1994. Included also are the meaning of an entriega and the lyrics of this song.
Cundiyo Field Research Collection
Identifier: MSS -652 -BC
Scope and Content The collection is a collation of research materials on Cundiyo, New Mexico. It contains correspondence among researchers including Paul Kutsche, Joseph E. Weckler, Morris Siegal, and William Skinner, as well as correspondence between researchers and informants. The collection also contains bibliographical citations; typescripts of papers written about Cundiyo; field notes; genealogical information; transcripts of interviews with residents; and a few miscellaneous items. Most of the information...
David Correia Research Papers
Abstract The David Correia Research Papers document the history and people of the Tierra Amarilla land grant conflict in Northern New Mexico.
Dates: 1901-2009; Majority of material found within 1955-2009
Dennis P. Trujillo Papers
Abstract This collection consists of material collected and produced by Dennis Trujillo for the research and writing of his dissertation “The Commodification of Hispano Culture in New Mexico: Tourism, Mary Austin, and the Spanish Colonial Arts Society."
Dorothy L. Pillsbury Papers
Scope and Content The Dorothy L. Pillsbury Papers consists of fan mail and general correspondence; article typescripts, related research, and correspondence with publishers; publications containing Pillsbury's writings, as well as clippings of published works, book reviews; and a scrapbook. The series and folders overlap, as some materials are arranged loosely by subject, some by date, and some by where/when they were published. The preponderance of material relates to New Mexico and its cultural landscape as...
East Mountain Historical Society Oral History Project
Scope and Content The East Mountain Oral History Project collection consists of interviews conducted by Joyce Mendel with the following residents: Jose Candelaria, Bob Cooper, Adilia Garcia, Leandro Garcia, Barbara Herrera, Tom Herrera, Bill Loudon, Andres Mora, Antonia Mora, Dorela Perea, David Salazar, Jacquelyn Schaefer, M. Zanettie and Vicki Scoresone. The interviews are in a combination of English and Spanish languages. The collection also includes a tape of reminiscences from Alejandro Herrera, recorded in...
Dates: 1908-2001 (bulk, 1989-1996)
Edward E. Crocker Records from the Excavation and Restoration of the Santuario de Guadalupe, Santa Fe, N.M.
Abstract This collection is a well documented history of the excavation and restoration of the Santuario de Guadalupe in Santa Fe, New Mexico. It documents the archaeology conducted by Edward Crocker and his firm when burials were discovered beneath the floor of the church during restoration work. Resulting social and cultural dynamics of the community relating to the church, its renovation and the archaeology are also covered in the collection.
Dates: 1976-1999 (bulk 1989-1990)
Elmer Martinez Collection
Abstract The collection deals with the career of Elmer Martinez and his various activities to teach about the Hispanic heritage of New Mexico and the Southwest. It includes correspondence, articles, photographs, maps and posters. Among them are his papers about the Spanish Village at the State Fair, the Colonial Infantry of Albuquerque color guard unit, the Spanish History Museum, a run for New Mexico State Representative, and his views and commentaries. It also contains material from others, including...
Evelia Cobos Pictorial Collection
Abstract The Evelia Cobos Pictorial Collection contains photos of Evelia, her father, Ruben Cobos, and their families. Also included are two of Ruben’s early concert programs; news clipping about Evelia’s 2010 book on her father; and three of her essays about him.
Dates: 1930-2015; Majority of material found within 1970-2015
Felipe Chaves Family Papers
Scope and Content The José Felipe Chaves collection is made up of 3 boxes containing family and business correspondence; business and political papers; indexed letter books, business journals, as well as miscellaneous books and journals; account books, school attendance books, and legal documents. The time span covered by this collection is 1739-1937. Many of the important names of Chaves' time are contained within the collection including correspondence with Bishop Lamy. The collection is divided into general...
Dates: 1739-1937 (bulk, 1850-1937)
Finding Aid of the Gloria Montoya Chavez Papers
Abstract This collection contains the papers of Gloria Montoya Chavez, a student, administrator, writer, and advocate for Chicano/a and other minority issues. These papers deal with professional, personal, and political struggle within the University of New Mexico’s Chicano Studies and Chicano Student Services, also known as Hispanic Student Services, and in the surrounding community.
Frances Léon Quintana Papers
Abstract This collection documents the life and career of anthropologist, Frances Léon Quintana, in the Southwest, mainly between 1960 and 1999. The collection consists of published and unpublished works, field notes, lecture notes, project proposals and reports, general and project correspondence, biographical and job-related materials, political petitions, statements, testimonies, and some news clippings.
Dates: 1705-2012; Majority of material found within 1960-1999
Frank G. Applegate Papers
Abstract The collection consists of manuscript materials, correspondence, newspaper clippings. Among the manuscript materials are typescript and holographic chapters from an unpublished manuscript on Spanish Colonial arts and typescript chapters from the books Indian Stories from the Pueblos and Native Tales of New Mexico.
Dates: 1886-2000 (bulk 1920-1934)
Fray Angélico Chávez History Library's WPA New Mexico Collection
Identifier: NMU CSWR WPA
Abstract Most of the New Mexico WPA stories were collected among Hispanic and Anglo Americans across the state. They contain folk tales, songs, customs, town histories and biographies of pioneer leaders. Some stories relate to Native American topics; a few materials pertain to African Americans and Chinese immigrants.
- Subject: Hispanic Americans -- New Mexico X
- UNM Center for Southwest Research & Special Collections 38
- Fray Angélico Chávez History Library 2
- UNM Health Sciences Library and Informatics Center 2
- National Hispanic Cultural Center 1
- New Mexico State Records Center and Archives 1
- Oral histories 9
- Photographs 7
- Hispanic Americans -- New Mexico 5
- Letters 4
- Sound recordings 4
- Acculturation -- New Mexico 3
- Clippings 3
- Folklore -- New Mexico 3
- Hispanic Americans -- New Mexico -- Santa Fe 3
- Land grants -- New Mexico 3
- Mural painting and decoration 3
- New Mexico -- Ethnic relations 3
- Albumen prints 2
- Albuquerque (N.M.) -- History 2
- Albuquerque (N.M.) -- Social life and customs 2
- Cartes-de-visite (card photographs) 2
- Cities and towns -- New Mexico 2
- Education, Bilingual--New Mexico 2
- Ethnic neighborhoods 2
- Hispanic Americans - New Mexico - History - Sources. 2
- Hispanic Americans -- Education 2
- Hispanic Americans -- New Mexico -- Albuquerque 2
- Hispanic Americans -- New Mexico -- Albuquerque -- Pictorial works 2
- Hispanic Americans -- New Mexico -- Ethnic identity 2
- Hispanic Americans -- New Mexico -- History 2
- Hispanic Americans -- New Mexico -- Music 2
- Hispanic Americans -- New Mexico -- Pictorial works 2
- Hispanic Americans -- New Mexico -- Politics and government 2
- Hispanic Americans -- New Mexico -- Social life and customs 2
- Hispanic Americans--Cultural assimilation 2
- Hispanic Americans--New Mexico--Folklore 2
- Indians of North America -- New Mexico -- Pictorial works 2
- New Mexico -- Genealogy 2
- New Mexico -- History 2
- New Mexico -- History -- 1848- 2
- New Mexico -- Politics and government -- 1848-1950 2
- New Mexico -- Politics and government -- 1951- 2
- New Mexico--Ethnic relations 2
- New Mexico--Genealogy 2
- Political activists -- New Mexico 2
- Religion. 2
- Rio Arriba County (N.M.) -- History 2
- Skin Neoplasms. 2
- Tierra Amarilla (N.M.) 2
- Trials (Political crimes and offenses) -- New Mexico 2
- Uterine Cervical Neoplasms. 2
- Acoma Indians -- Pictorial works 1
- Acoma Pueblo (N.M.) 1
- Acoma Pueblo (N.M.) -- Pictorial works 1
- African Americans -- Military service -- Pictorial works 1
- African Americans -- New Mexico -- Albuquerque -- Pictorial works 1
- Agriculture -- Colorado -- San Luis 1
- Alabados 1
- Alabados--Texts 1
- Albuquerque (N.M.) 1
- Albuquerque (N.M.) -- Economic conditions 1
- Albuquerque (N.M.) -- History -- 20th century 1
- Albuquerque (N.M.) -- History -- 20th century -- Pictorial works 1
- Albuquerque (N.M.) -- History -- Anecdotes 1
- Albuquerque (N.M.) -- History -- Pictorial works 1
- American poetry--Hispanic American authors 1
- Annexation (Municipal government) -- New Mexico -- Albuquerque 1
- Archaeology -- New Mexico 1
- Archaeology -- Southwest, New 1
- Architects -- New Mexico -- Pictorial works 1
- Archives, Diocesan New Mexico Santa Fe 1
- Armed Forces -- Officers -- Pictorial works 1
- Armijo (N.M.) 1
- Art, Spanish colonial – New Mexico 1
- Art, Spanish colonial--New Mexico 1
- Artists -- New Mexico 1
- Artists -- New Mexico -- Pictorial works 1
- Atrisco (Albuquerque, N.M.) 1
- Atrisco (Albuquerque, N.M.) -- History 1
- Atrisco Albuquerque, N.M. -- Social life and customs 1
- Authors -- New Mexico -- Pictorial works 1
- Ballads, Spanish – Southwest, New -- Texts 1
- Barelas (Albuquerque, N.M.) -- Pictorial works 1
- Belen (N.M.) -- History 1
- Bibliographical literature -- New Mexico 1
- Bilingualism 1
- Boxers (Sports) -- New Mexico -- Albuquerque 1
- Business and politics -- New Mexico 1
- Businessmen -- New Mexico -- Pictorial works 1
- Cavalry -- New Mexico -- Pictorial works 1
- Cañones (N.M.) -- Genealogy 1
- Cañones (N.M.) -- Rural conditions 1
- Cañones (N.M.) -- Social life and customs 1
- Chama (N.M.) -- History 1
- Chinese -- New Mexico -- Pictorial works 1
- Chloride (N.M.) -- Pictorial works 1
- Church music -- Catholic Church 1
- Church records and registers New Mexico 1
- Churches, Catholic -- New Mexico -- Santa Fe 1
- Cityscape photographs 1
- Cityscapes -- New Mexico -- Albuquerque 1
- Classification -- Books 1
- Confraternities -- New Mexico 1
- Correspondence 1
- Courts - New Mexico 1 ∧ less
- Spanish; Castilian 9
- Undetermined 5
- Tijerina, Reies 7
- Austin, Mary, 1868-1934 2
- Catholic Church. Archdiocese of Santa Fe (N.M.) 2
- Chavez, Angelico, 1910-1996 2
- Adler, Stuart Welsh, 1892-1987 1
- Albright, Emma L., 1852 - 1912 1
- Albuquerque Museum 1
- American Cancer Society 1
- Andrés, Benny J., Jr. (Benny Joseph) 1
- Applegate, Frank G. (Frank Guy), 1881-1931 1
- Beck, Warren A. 1
- Bennett & Brown 1
- Bynner, Witter, 1881-1968 1
- Cobb Studio 1
- Cobb, William Henry, 1859-1909 1
- Cobos, Rubén 1
- Federal Writers' Project. New Mexico 1
- Furlong & Crispell 1
- Laboratory of Anthropology (Museum of New Mexico) 1
- Lovelace Medical Center 1
- Schmidt, Henry A. 1
- Sierra, Christine Marie 1 ∧ less