Showing Collections: 1 - 25 of 55
Abstract New Mexico author and rancher. The collection includes family correspondence, general correspondence, personal files, literary files, political files, publications, and photographs. Also included are a partial manuscript of No Life for a Lady and a complete manuscript of Satan's Paradise.
Dates: 1865 - 1954
Scope and Content This is a small collection containing letters and manuscripts, including correspondence between Agnes Morley Cleaveland and Gertrude Hill about a "strange man," and a letter to George Stevens. The typed manuscripts, some of which are edited, are: "The Vanished American," which is about pioneers; "A Peculiar People: Tenderfeet;" "Incredible Montague," a story about an early pioneer, Montague Stevens of Silver City; and "Stories of Montague Stevens," as told by George Stevens. The collection also...
Abstract This collection consists of one photoprint of a handwritten document, entitled "Confundis de la Historia del Pintoresco Pueblo de la Mesilla," by Colonel Albert Jennings Fountain. The document outlines the role of the town of la Mesilla in the history of New Mexico, with regard to the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo, the Gadsden Purchase, and the Civil War.
Scope and Content The Albert W. Thompson Papers contain news clippings, articles, and manuscripts about the early days in the West, specifically, Clayton, Union County, and northeastern New Mexico. Most of the materials were written by Thompson, however, some of the newspaper columns were written by others. Black Jack Ketchem is a prominent subject within the collection. Miscellaneous materials include flyers, correspondence, a map, and notes.
Abstract Most of the photographs in this collection were taken by Alice Bullock and record the places she visited and wrote about and the people she met.
Identifier: AC 331
Scope and Content Collection consists of Aretas Hyde's memoirs. Memoirs have contemporary reactions to the anti-slavery and abolitionist movement before and during the Civil War. He also comments on the construction of pueblos in New Mexico.
Identifier: AC 051-P
Scope and Content One bound 108-page typed transcript of 17 hours of audiotaped interviews of Thelma Cone Childers Cleveland (Cowan's mother). In the interviews Cleveland discusses the period 1906--1922, from her birth until her marriage. She provides a detailed account of life in a poor farming family that homesteaded near Redland, New Mexico, and later Gasoline, Texas. Includes descriptions of farming, social life, and schools in eastern New Mexico and west Texas in the early 20th century. A genealogy chart of...
Identifier: AC 470-p
Scope and Content Collection consists of research matericals including correspondence between Tomas Jaehn and members of the Gschwind family, picture descriptions and family history regarding the Balthasar Gschwind family and its ties to Oscuro, New Mexico homesteading.
Dates: 1832-1990; Majority of material found in Placeholder Unit Date Text
Abstract This collection is comprised of the manuscript titled, "The Deserving and the Lucky" by Bertha S. Dodge. Following minimal changes, this manuscript was published by the University of New Mexico Press in 1980 under the title, The Road West, Saga of the 35th Parallel, which recounts reports of those who have passed by what is now El Morro National Monument.
Identifier: AC 610
Scope and Content The collection contains real estate documents pertaining to family properties in Guadalupe County, NM and in Riverside County, California, as well as to the military service of William Gerhardt. There are also Commencement items from Santa Rosa High School.
Dates: 1907 to 1959; Majority of material found in 1914 to 1937
Scope and Content The collection contains miscellaneous business records of Blazer's Mill as well as J. H. Blazer's general merchandising business. Joseph H. Blazer operated the mill during most of the period that these records encompass. His son, A. N. Blazer, later operated it. The records include correspondence, time books, blotters, logbooks, sales books, grist mill accounts, and journals. Some records refer to the company as "Tularosa Mills." The correspondence covers business deals and finances of J.H....
Dates: March 19, 1871 - Aug. 26, 1873
Abstract This collection contains correspondence, business records, and other assorted items pertaining to Dr. Charles A. Brown and family, who resided in Colorado and New Mexico in the late 1800s.
Identifier: MSS -637-BC
Scope and Content The project consists of thirteen oral history interviews from eleven different people living in New Mexicos East-Central Caprock region. All interviews were conducted by Craig Newbill during the Summer of 1992, except for Bernice and Pete Newbill who were initially interviewed in November of 1988, and subsequently in February and August of 1990, respectively. Pete and Bernice Newbill are the only interviewees who were interviewed twice. The collection contains twelve ninety minute audio...
Identifier: AC 149-P
Scope and Content One 1861 letter from David J. Miller of Santa Fe to his niece Laura P. McCord of Mississippi, and one typescript of the letter. Miller gives a brief description of New Mexico and its people.
Abstract This is a collection of correspondence, photos, newspaper clippings and articles about Elfego Baca as retained by his family after his death and collected in subsequent years. They provide a view of Baca’s political, business and family life beyond the well-known 1884 gunfight in Socorro County.
Identifier: MSS -221 -SC
Scope and Content The collection consists of one diary which covers 8 months of E. Meek's life in Raton, N. M., 1892-1893. The entries include daily observations on the local weather, railroad trains coming into the depot, train destinations, co-workers, train wrecks, strikes and, train orders. Meek records town shootings, thefts, local fights, and the arrival of the Circuit Court. The diary has many entries about boxing, both professional and his own amateur endeavors. He writes of gambling at the Crystal...
Dates: 1892 May 27 - 1983 Jan. 28
Scope and Content The Ealy Family Papers at the University of New Mexico consist of a small number of diverse documents collected by Taylor F. Ealy's grandson, Lawrence O. Ealy. Supplementing the letters and memoirs in the Lawrence Ealy Collection of the University of Arizona, UNM's miscellany is most notable for the various items relating to the Lincoln County War, especially the first edition of Pat Garrett's The Authentic Life of Billy, the Kid, published in 1882. Ealy, who...
Scope and Content The East Mountain Oral History Project collection consists of interviews conducted by Joyce Mendel with the following residents: Jose Candelaria, Bob Cooper, Adilia Garcia, Leandro Garcia, Barbara Herrera, Tom Herrera, Bill Loudon, Andres Mora, Antonia Mora, Dorela Perea, David Salazar, Jacquelyn Schaefer, M. Zanettie and Vicki Scoresone. The interviews are in a combination of English and Spanish languages. The collection also includes a tape of reminiscences from Alejandro Herrera, recorded in...
Dates: 1908-2001 (bulk, 1989-1996)
Identifier: MSS -249-SC
Scope and Content Elfego Baca's campaign brochures make up the bulk of this small collection. The brochures contain a brief history of Baca's life, including stories of gunfights, Billy the Kid, and dealings with the law, while also outlining his political ambitions. Additionally, the collection contains two pieces of correspondence written by Baca, an open letter written by Baca about the 1940 election, a letter from Mrs. Elfego Baca to Clinton P. Anderson informing him of Baca's death, and Baca's memorial...
Dates: 1904-1945 (bulk 1934-1945)
Scope and Content The Erna Fergusson Papers consist of personal papers, including journals, notebooks, scrapbooks, correspondence, and business and family records; literary and professional correspondence (correspondence is also found with related manuscript materials); lectures and travel notes; manuscript and published materials; research materials; and scrapbooks. Of particular interest are the research materials relevant to Albuquerque and New Mexico, particularly concerning individuals and families as well...
Scope and Content This collection is divided into three series: Genealogy, Folklore and History, and Personal. The genealogy series contains notes, narratives, charts, last wills and testaments, correspondence, and other documents pertaining to the Baca and Delgado families and their relations. The Folklore and History series primarily contains narratives and notes, written by Fabiola Cabeza de Baca Gilbert. Her writings combine historical research with local folklore and tradition in topics relating...
Abstract Collection contains photographs from Fabiola Cabeza de Baca Gilbert's childhood and work as a school teacher.
Abstract This collection is comprised of two leather-bound ledgers of Dr. Finis Ewing Kavanaugh, merchant, sutler and physician attached to military posts at Fort Fauntleroy/Fort Lyon and Cubero, New Mexico.
Scope and Content This small collection consists primarily of reminiscences of Flora Spiegelberg, including original typewritten manuscripts of brief articles and published articles. Also included is a manuscript about Flora Spiegelberg and the Spiegelberg family written in 1975. The articles by Spiegelberg primarily concern life in the Territory of New Mexico in the late 19th century. Other articles are about New York City where the Spiegelbergs lived after leaving New Mexico.
Abstract Add abstract here
Dates: 1870 - 2011
- Subject: Frontier and pioneer life -- New Mexico X
- UNM Center for Southwest Research & Special Collections 39
- Fray Angélico Chávez History Library 10
- New Mexico State University Library Archives and Special Collections 5
- New Mexico State Records Center and Archives 1
- Frontier and pioneer life -- New Mexico 20
- New Mexico -- History -- 1848- 9
- Frontier and pioneer life--New Mexico 8
- Oral histories 7
- New Mexico -- Description and travel 6
- Ranch life -- New Mexico 6
- Photographs 5
- Diaries 4
- New Mexico -- Politics and government -- 1848-1950 4
- New Mexico -- Social life and customs 4
- Sound recordings 4
- Account books 3
- Santa Fe (N.M.) -- History 3
- Clippings 2
- Frontier and pioneer life - New Mexico 2
- Frontier and pioneer life -- Colorado 2
- Frontier and pioneer life -- New Mexico -- Pictorial works 2
- Frontier and pioneer life -- New Mexico. 2
- Frontier and pioneer life--New Mexico--Lincoln County 2
- Frontier and pioneer life--West (U.S.) 2
- Letters 2
- Lincoln County (N.M.) -- History 2
- Memoirs and biographies 2
- Merchants -- New Mexico -- History 2
- Merchants -- New Mexico -- Santa Fe 2
- New Mexico -- History -- 19th century 2
- New Mexico--Ethnic relations 2
- Railroads -- New Mexico -- History 2
- Santa Fe Trail 2
- Actors -- New Mexico 1
- Adventure and adventurers--New Mexico 1
- Advertising 1
- Agriculture - Middle West 1
- Alamogordo (N.M.) -- Social life and customs 1
- Albuquerque (N.M.) -- History 1
- Albuquerque (N.M.) -- Social life and customs 1
- Albuquerque (N.M.) -- Social life and customs -- Pictorial works 1
- Amistad (N.M.) -- History 1
- Amusement parks – New Mexico – History – Pictorial works 1
- Apache Indians -- Wars -- New Mexico 1
- Art, Spanish colonial -- Pictorial works 1
- Artists -- New Mexico -- Pictorial works 1
- Authors, American -- New Mexico -- Pictorial works 1
- Bear hunting--West (U.S.) 1
- Black-and-white photographs 1
- Boxing-- New Mexico-- Raton 1
- Business enterprises - - New Mexico 1
- Businessmen -- New Mexico -- Santa Fe 1
- California -- Social conditions -- 19th century 1
- Camels--Southwest, New 1
- Carlsbad (N.M.) -- History 1
- Carrizozo (N.M.) -- History 1
- Cartoons & Comics 1
- Catron County (N.M.) -- History -- 19th century 1
- Cattle breeders--New Mexico 1
- Cattle ranching 1
- Cattle trade -- New Mexico 1
- Cattle trade--New Mexico 1
- Census records 1
- Chile--Description and travel 1
- Christian Science--Publications. 1
- Cities and towns--U.S. states--New Mexico--Photographs 1
- Cityscape photographs 1
- Clayton (N.M.) -- History 1
- Cleaveland, Agnes Morley, 1874- . 1
- Cleaveland, Norman. 1
- Coal Strike, Gallup, N.M., 1933 1
- Collective settlements -- Mexico 1
- College buildings--New Mexico--Photographs 1
- Cookery, American 1
- Correspondence 1
- Cowboys in popular culture – Pictorial works 1
- Cuba--Description and travel 1
- Cubero (N.M.) -- Commerce 1
- Cubero (N.M.)--History 1
- Curry County (N.M.) -- History -- Anecdotes 1
- Curry County (N.M.) -- Social life and customs 1
- De Baca County (N.M.) -- History 1
- Decorative arts, Spanish colonial -- New Mexico -- Pictorial works 1
- East Mountain area (N.M.) -- History -- Anecdotes 1
- East Mountain area (N.M.) -- Social life and customs 1
- Eddy County (N.M.) -- History 1
- Education, Bilingual--New Mexico 1
- Education, Rural--New Mexico 1
- Education--New Mexico 1
- El Morro National Monument (N.M.) 1
- Elections -- New Mexico 1
- Epidemics--New Mexico 1
- Excavations (archaeology) -- New Mexico -- Chaco Canyon 1
- Family histories 1
- Family-owned business enterprises -- New Mexico 1
- Farmers -- New Mexico -- Redland 1
- Farmers -- Texas -- Gasoline 1
- Folklore -- New Mexico 1
- Folklore and history -- New Mexico 1
- Fort Stanton (N.M.) -- History 1
- Fort Sumner (N.M.) -- History 1
- Fort Wingate (N.M.) 1
- Frontier and Pioneer Life-- New Mexico-- Raton 1
- Frontier and Pioneer life -- New Mexico 1 ∧ less
- English 52
- Undetermined 7
- Spanish; Castilian 5
- Baca, Elfego, 1864-1945 4
- Stevens, Montague, 1859-1953 4
- Billy, the Kid 3
- Tingley, Clyde 3
- Blachly, Lou 2
- Cleaveland, Agnes Morley, 1874-1958 2
- Gilbert, Fabiola Cabeza de Baca, 1894-1991 2
- Keleher family 2
- Keleher, William A. (William Aloysius), 1886-1972 2
- Armijo family 1
- Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railroad Company 1
- Axtell, Samuel B. (Samuel Beach), 1819-1891 1
- Burris, Frank -- Interviews 1
- Carson, Kit, 1809-1868 1
- Chisum, John Simpson, 1824-1884 1
- Clack, Jane 1
- Clack, John S. 1
- Dick Kent Photography (Albuquerque, N.M.) 1
- Fergusson, Erna, 1888-1964 1
- Fountain, Albert Jennings, 1838-1896 1
- Garrett, Pat F. (Pat Floyd), 1850-1908 1
- Gonzales Velasquez, Maria Dolores-- interviewer 1
- Gonzales-Berry, Erlinda, 1942- 1
- Henn, Nora 1
- Jones, Andrieus Aristieus, 1862-1927 1
- Ketchum, Black Jack, 1863-1901 1
- Los Alamos National Laboratory 1
- Marsh, Herb, Jr. 1
- Mitchell, Albert K., b. 1894 1
- Newbill, Craig L., interviewer 1
- Owen, Albert Kimsey 1
- Pyle, Ernie, 1900-1945 1
- Spiegelberg family, 1
- Spiegelberg, Flora 1
- Thompson, Albert W., 1864-1951 1
- University of New Mexico 1
- University of New Mexico. Center for Regional Studies 1
- Upper Iowa University 1 ∧ less