Showing Collections: 1 - 22 of 22
Scope and Content Collection consists primarily of official government documents from New Mexico's various historical governments: its Spanish colonial government (1684-1821), its Mexican government (1821-1846), and its American government (1846-1863). Subjects included are the reconquest of New Mexico, the collection of taxes, official appointments, Indian affairs, and religious matters. Items of note are Diego de Vargas' journal of the Reconquest (1694-1790), Commandante General Pedro de Nava's refusal of...
Scope and Content The collection consists of materials related to the education of Native American children, including administrative documents, curriculum materials, teacher guides, and mimeographed compilations of work written and produced by students. Most items are specific to the Southwest, with a few from the Mountain West and Great Plains. Some touch on the role and effects of World War II on native populations. Some of the curriculum texts are hand-colored by the students who used them. Ann...
Dates: 1935-1979; Majority of material found within 1942-1945
Identifier: AC 221
Scope and Content
- Misc. newspapers and clippings.
- Misc. correspondence, typed and handwritten.
- Annual reports, diairies, account books, scrapbooks, checkbooks, checks, manuals, notebooks, map of Europe after WW I.
- Government documents (Federal and territorial).
- Deeds, property assessments.
- Various and sundry items.
Abstract Photographs of Hispanic and Indian peoples, landscapes, and cultural life of New Mexico from the 1920s to approximately 1945.
Scope and Content Collection consists of the personal and political papers of Epifanio Vigil. Political papers contain several broadsides and clippings from various New Mexico periodicals. Broadsides include Donaciano Madrid's opposition to the election of Francisco Chavez as Sheriff of Santa Fe County, New Mexico (1891) and opposition to Oterista and Catronista republicans (1900). A translation of an article implicating Thomas B. Catron in the American Valley murder is also included along with Francisco A....
Abstract The Howard Clinton Tibbitts Pictorial Collection is comprised of glass plate negatives of New Mexico, Utah, Arizona, and Ciudad Juarez, Chihuahua, and Piedras Negras, Coahuila in Mexico.
Abstract This collection of sound recordings was donated to the John Donald Robb Archive of Southwestern Music by the Music Department of the University of New Mexico. It consisted of three reels of pre-1963 commercial recordings of Native American music from Mexico and the Southwestern United States, which have been reformatted to CD.
Abstract The collection contains photographs and other illustrative material of 19th and 20th Native Americans and pueblos.
Abstract Photographs of cowboy author John Sinclair, his wife Evelyn, their friends, and various places in New Mexico where they lived, photographed, or that figured in their writings. There are photos related to Sinclair's family in Scotland and ranching activities in the Southwest.
Abstract This collection is comprised of a typed copy and a photoprint of Joseph King Fenno Mansfield's report on local military posts and tribes in the New Mexico Territory and what is now Arizona and Texas, in 1853. It includes descriptions of present forts and their surrounding areas, maps and proposals for changes to be made to these, as well as proposals for new forts.
Abstract This small collection of letters illuminates life at the Lillie Ranch in Kelly (Socorro County), N.M. in the late 1800s. The letters detail problems on the ranch and with the Indians.
Identifier: AC 402
Scope and Content The collection contains manuscripts for Louis Kraft's books (originals, edits, drafts); correspondence with friends, critics, writers, as it relates to Kraft's publications; magazine articles and lectures written by Kraft; his books; and photos of Kraft. Includes materials and script for the two-act play by Louis Kraft "An Evening with Ned Wynkoop."
Dates: 1982 - (open end)
Abstract One modern copy print (from a much earlier negative) of a Western valley in New Mexico with Mescalero Apache tepees on one side and tin-roofed cabins on the other
Dates: circa 1890-1900
Abstract This collection is comprised of narratives written by Spanish military explorers in the 1700s, as well as a handbook based upon the aforementioned explorations for the presidios of what is now New Mexico, Arizona, Texas, and parts of northern Mexico.
Dates: 1765-1990 (bulk 1765-1795)
Abstract The unique components of this collection are Percy Bigmouth's holographic manuscripts of Lipan myths and legends. The collection also includes background materials such as articles, letters, and a few photographs.
Identifier: AC 208
Scope and Content The collection documents course of initial inquiries, period of in-loan arrangements, purchase, and post-acquisition activities regarding the Segesser paintings. The acquisition of the two Segesser paintings done on buffalo hides was achieved after negotiations between officials of the Museum of New Mexico Foundation, The Museum of New Mexico, and the Palace of the Governors, on the one hand, and Dr. Andre Segesser, on the other hand. The two hide paintings, designated as Segesser I...
Scope and Content Collection consists of New Mexico historical documents from the 19th century and the first decade of the twentieth century (1803-1910). Included in the collection are some of Governor Manuel Armjio's papers pertaining to the Texas invasion and political matters (1843-1848); a report by James Maloy concerning the theft of animals by the Mimbres Apaches (1870); an apologia from Culiacan, Sonora (1826); an official Mexican circular concerning education; several receipts and invoices from various...
Scope and Content Collection consists of administrative, civil, military, and ecclesiastical records of the Spanish colonial government in New Mexico, 1621-1821. Records cover both the local and provincial levels, and include correspondence between officials in Santa Fe and Mexico. Few pre-Revolt documents are contained in this collection. Significant documents from the Pueblo Revolt period (1680-1693) include Antonio de Otermin's 1681 journal of the attempted reconquest of New Mexico, and various administrative...
Abstract This collection contains records of the Tonantzin Land Institute, an indigenous peoples advocacy organization founded in 1982. The records deal with a number of social and political issues relating to land, water, and community organizing, as well as administrative aspects of the Institute.
Dates: 1911-2000; Majority of material found within 1981-1997
Abstract Collection of Western photographs.
Identifier: AC 083-P
Scope and Content Collection consists primarily of typescript copies of 34 letters Walter L. Finely wrote, while stationed in the territory of New Mexico to his mother in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 1879-1881. Letters depict the routine life of a young officer stationed at various posts in New Mexico and the military actions taken against Victorio and his Apache supporters. Also included are: typed newspaper transcripts from the Daily New Mexican and ...
Dates: 1879-1883; 1876-1881
Abstract The collection contains military journals and account ledgers, maps, letters and other correspondence, photographs, an engraving and personal papers related to the military career and personal life of United States Army Major General William Denison Whipple.
Dates: 1853-1865; Majority of material found in 1853-1865
- Subject: Apache Indians X
- UNM Center for Southwest Research & Special Collections 14
- Fray Angélico Chávez History Library 4
- New Mexico State Records Center and Archives 4
- Apache Indians -- History 4
- Apache Indians -- Pictorial works 4
- Indians of North America -- Pictorial works 4
- Photographs 4
- Apache Indians 3
- Apache Indians -- New Mexico 3
- New Mexico -- History -- To 1848 3
- New Mexico -- Politics and government -- 1848-1950 3
- Ute Indians -- History 3
- Clippings 2
- Decrees 2
- Diaries 2
- Fort Defiance (Ariz.) -- History 2
- Navajo Indians 2
- Navajo Indians -- History 2
- New Mexico -- History -- 1848- 2
- Publications 2
- Pueblos -- New Mexico -- Pictorial works 2
- Stereographs 2
- Acoma (N.M.) -- Pictorial works 1
- Administrative records 1
- Agriculture --New Mexico--History 1
- Albumen prints 1
- Apache Indians - Wars, 1879-1886 1
- Apache Indians -- Education 1
- Apache Indians -- Folklore 1
- Apache Indians -- Government relations. 1
- Apache Indians -- Photographs 1
- Apache Indians -- Wars -- New Mexico 1
- Apache Indians -- Wars -- Pictorial works 1
- Apache Indians--History--19th century 1
- Apache Indians--Music 1
- Apache Trail (Ariz.) -- Pictorial works 1
- Apostasy 1
- Arizona -- Pictorial works 1
- Arizona--History 1
- Authors, American -- New Mexico -- Pictorial works 1
- Book illustrations 1
- Broadsides 1
- Cabinet photographs 1
- Census records 1
- Chelly, Canyon de (Ariz.) -- Pictorial works 1
- Cheyenne Indians-Wars, 1868-1869 1
- Chichimecs--Music 1
- Chimayo (N.M.) -- Pictorial works 1
- Chinle (Ariz.) -- Pictorial works 1
- Church buildings -- New Mexico -- Pictorial works 1
- City and town life -- New Mexico -- Albuquerque -- Pictorial works 1
- Ciudad Juárez (Mexico) -- Pictorial works 1
- Coahuila (Mexico: State) -- Pictorial works 1
- Coinage -- Mexico -- History -- 18th century 1
- Comanche Indians --History 1
- Comanche Indians--History 1
- Community development--New Mexico 1
- Community organization--Southwest, New 1
- Conveyances 1
- Correspondence 1
- Creek Indians -- Education 1
- Dakota Indians -- Pictorial works 1
- Documents 1
- Drawing 1
- Education -- New Mexico -- History 1
- Environmental justice 1
- Environmental protection--Citizen participation 1
- Estate inventories 1
- Estate records 1
- Eulogies 1
- Europe--Description and travel 1
- Festivals -- New Mexico -- Taos Pueblo -- Pictorial works 1
- Fire fighters -- New Mexico -- Pictorial works 1
- Folk Music--Mexico 1
- Forest management--Social aspects--Southwest, New 1
- Fort Apache Indian Reservation (Ariz.) -- Pictorial works 1
- Fort Clark (Tex.)--History 1
- Fort Conrad (N.M.) -- History 1
- Fort Defiance (Ariz.) 1
- Fort Duncan (Tex.)--History 1
- Fort Fillmore (N.M.)--History 1
- Fort Filmore Site (N.M.) -- History 1
- Fort Marcy (N.M.) -- History 1
- Fort Union (N.M.) -- History 1
- Fortification--Inspection--New Mexico--19th century 1
- Fortification--Inspection--Texas--19th century 1
- Franciscans --Missions--New Mexico 1
- Frijoles Canyon (N.M.) -- Pictorial works 1
- Frontier and pioneer life -- New Mexico -- Socorro County 1
- Fugitive slaves -- Legal status, laws, etc.-- Mexico 1
- Gambling -- New Mexico 1
- Ganado (Ariz.) -- Pictorial works 1
- Gila River (N.M. and Ariz.)--History 1
- Governors -- New Mexico 1
- Grand Canyon (Ariz.) -- Pictorial works 1
- Hispanic Americans 1
- Hopi Indians -- Education 1
- Hopi Indians -- Pictorial works 1
- Hopi Indians--History 1
- Hopi Indians--Music 1
- Indian Market (Santa Fe, N.M.) -- Pictorial works 1
- Indian agents -- New Mexico 1
- Indian art -- New Mexico 1 ∧ less
- English 18
- Undetermined 7
- Spanish; Castilian 4
- Central American Indian languages 1
- North American Indian languages 1
- Martínez, María Montoya 3
- Anza, Juan Bautista de, 1735-1788 1
- Bigmouth, Percy, 1891-1959 1
- Catholic Church. New Mexico 1
- Clark, Ann Nolan, 1896-1995 1
- Coordinación de Organizaciones y Naciones Indigenas del Continente 1
- DeHuff Family 1
- DeHuff, Elizabeth Willis, 1886-1983 1
- Democratic Party (N.M.). State Central Committee 1
- Detroit Photographic Co 1
- Ellis, Bruce T., 1903- 1
- Fred Harvey (Firm) 1
- Gilpin, Laura, 1891-1979 1
- Herrera, Velino 1
- Indigenous Environmental Network 1
- Indigenous Peoples Alliance 1
- Indigenous Women's Network 1
- Inter-Tribal Indian Ceremonial Association 1
- Kabotie, Fred, 1900-1986 1
- Kraft, Louis, 1947- 1
- Lujan, David 1
- Southern Pacific Railroad Company 1
- Southwest Network for Environmental and Economic Justice 1
- Stewart, Dorothy N. (Dorothy Newkirk), 1891-1955 1
- Thomas, B. M. (Benjamin Morris), 1843-1892 1
- Tonantzin Land Institute 1
- United Nations 1
- University of New Mexico. Center for Southwest Research 1
- University of New Mexico. University Libraries 1 ∧ less