Showing Collections: 1 - 22 of 22
Scope and Content This is a small collection containing letters and manuscripts, including correspondence between Agnes Morley Cleaveland and Gertrude Hill about a "strange man," and a letter to George Stevens. The typed manuscripts, some of which are edited, are: "The Vanished American," which is about pioneers; "A Peculiar People: Tenderfeet;" "Incredible Montague," a story about an early pioneer, Montague Stevens of Silver City; and "Stories of Montague Stevens," as told by George Stevens. The collection also...
Abstract The collection contains film of ranching life in New Mexico, with accompanying text describing the events on the film.
Dates: circa 1935-1966
Abstract This collection contains correspondence, business records, and other assorted items pertaining to Dr. Charles A. Brown and family, who resided in Colorado and New Mexico in the late 1800s.
Scope and Content The collection contains correspondence relating to the personal and business affairs of Charles O'Donel. It also contains genealogical and biographical information about the O'Donel, Kearny and Harral families. There are also some samples of Mexican pesos and Confederate dollars (1861-1914). Photographs have been transferred to CSWR Photoarchives.
Dates: 1860-1978; Majority of material found in 1919-1935
Scope and Content The collection is divided into 16 overlapping series, and also includes an oversized folder. There is some duplication of series, reflecting multiple processing efforts over time. The series breakdown is as follows: I. Historical documents of New Mexico and the West: diaries, manuscripts, correspondence, transcriptions, printed matter, business records and other papers, mostly relating to NM territorial history. Material from New Mexico Secretary of the Territory (MSS 25 SC)...
Scope and Content The Coe family papers consist of manuscript materials and correspondence related to Louise Coe's, Lady and the Law Books and High Roads to Friendships, and Wilbur Coe's Ranch on the Ruidoso. Of special interest in Wilbur Coe's book is the history of the family's participation in the violent Lincoln County War. Wilbur Coe took down the stories told by his grandfather and great-uncles, who...
Abstract This collection is composed of Dalton C. Bergan's research notebooks, photocopied material and note cards on Lucien Bonaparte Maxwell and François Xavier Aubry. Bergan used some of this material to write a book on Aubry.
Abstract Collection consists of research material used for the book: Bell Ranch: Cattle Ranching in the Southwest, 1824-1947.
Dates: 1790-1991; Majority of material found within 1821-1947
Abstract This collection contains correspondence and personal papers of George F. Ellis, manager of the Bell Ranch from 1947-1970, general and subject correspondence files (1944-1945) of former manager Albert K. Mitchell, and records from the Bell Ranch, 1929-1970.
Scope and Content The materials in the collection document Holm O. Bursum's personal life as well as his business and political careers. Correspondence, documents, and news clippings chronicle Bursum's ranching activities, his tenure as warden at the New Mexico State Penitentiary, various election campaigns, Republican Party involvements, and legislative activities. It includes documents relating to the controversial Indian Lands Bill, commonly known as the Bursum Bill. Albert B. Fall, Bronson Cutting and Elfego...
Scope and Content The manuscript, handwritten by John Angus MacDonald, describes five decades of his life in Colorado and New Mexico from the 1870s to the 1920s. It is not a detailed autobiography and is not in chronological order. There is a brief family history beginning on page 240. MacDonald reminisces about his boyhood in the San Luis Valley in Colorado, describing the customs of the Indians, the different ethnic groups that settled the area and the coming of the railroad. The manuscript contains...
Scope and Content The Sinclair Papers, consisting of fiction and non-fiction manuscript materials from the inception of an idea to the published form, comprise an essentially complete record of John Sinclair's long writing career. Additionally, the Sinclair collection is significant for its attention to regional subject matter--the history and lore of the Southwest. Covering the gamut of New Mexico's multicultural heritage from historical facts to tall tales to spiritual realms, Sinclair's writings reflect his...
Abstract Photographs of cowboy author John Sinclair, his wife Evelyn, their friends, and various places in New Mexico where they lived, photographed, or that figured in their writings. There are photos related to Sinclair's family in Scotland and ranching activities in the Southwest.
Abstract This small collection of letters illuminates life at the Lillie Ranch in Kelly (Socorro County), N.M. in the late 1800s. The letters detail problems on the ranch and with the Indians.
Abstract The Long Canyon Ranch Collection is focused on the ranch near Taiban, New Mexico owned by the Herlihy family.
Dates: 1860-2018; Majority of material found in 1910-1929
Abstract The Long Canyon Ranch Pictorial Collection is focused on the ranch in Taiban, New Mexico, but includes other locations traveled to by the Herlihy family.
Dates: 1860-1989; Majority of material found within 1910-1929
Abstract This collection contains papers related to Englishman-turned-pioneer Montague Stevens. The papers reflect his life as a sheep rancher, bear hunter, author, and friend to historical figures such as General Leonard Wood, General Nelson A. Miles, painter Frederic Remington, and President Theodore Roosevelt.
Abstract Parametrix conducted the cultural resource survey and mitigation of adverse effects for the BNSF's Second Track Project, near Belen, NM as a major component of the National Historic Preservation Act (NHPA) Section 106 compliance process. Shawn Kelley, a cultural anthropologist and ethnographer interviewed scores of individuals, recording their oral histories related to the railroad, Abo Canyon, and the surrounding area.
Dates: 2007-2009; Majority of material found within 2008
Oral History Interviews of the New Mexico Department of Transportation Oral History Mitigation Projects
Abstract The collection consists of oral history interviews conducted by Shawn Kelley for Paramatrix, under contract with the New Mexico Department of Transportation. The interviews were designed to mitigate adverse effects of various projects, including US 82 (Riley Homestead) Data Recovery Project (Eddy County, NM) and Cambray Bridge Replacement Mitigation Project (Luna County, NM).
Abstract Collection consists of one album, formerly the property of C. M. O'Donel, of mounted prints related to life on the Bell Ranch, New Mexico.
Scope and Content The Red River Valley Company collection contains the records of the daily activities of the Bell Ranch. It contains the legal records of the Pablo Montoya Grant, and the correspondence of Bell Ranch managers Arthur J. Tisdall, Charles M. O'Donel, and Albert K. Mitchell, covering the years 1894 to 1943. There are monthly employee lists, payrolls, business books and annual reports, tax records, receipts for equipment and supplies, maps, surveys, cattle and horse breeding records, marketing and...
Abstract Contains travel photographs from New Mexico, Arizona, California, Colorado and other states, as well as Canada and Mexico. Also included are photographs used for Armstrong's book, The Chases of Cimarron.
Dates: 1870-1984; Majority of material found within 1973-1980
- Ranch life -- New Mexico 12
- Bell Ranch (N.M.) 4
- Photographs 4
- Cattle trade -- New Mexico -- History 3
- Letters 3
- Mural painting and decoration 3
- New Mexico -- History -- 1848- 3
- New Mexico -- Politics and government -- 1848-1950 3
- Ranch life -- New Mexico -- Pictorial works 3
- Frontier and pioneer life -- New Mexico 2
- New Mexico -- Description and travel 2
- New Mexico -- History -- 19th century 2
- New Mexico -- Politics and government 2
- New Mexico's Digital Collections 2
- Oral histories 2
- Pablo Montoya Grant (N.M.) 2
- Political campaigns -- New Mexico 2
- Railroads -- New Mexico -- History 2
- Socorro County (N.M.) -- History 2
- Sound recordings 2
- Adventure and adventurers--New Mexico 1
- Agriculture -- History 1
- Apache Indians -- Pictorial works 1
- Apache Indians -- Wars -- New Mexico 1
- Authors, American -- New Mexico -- Pictorial works 1
- Authors, American -- Southwest, New 1
- Bear hunting--West (U.S.) 1
- Belen (N.M.) -- History 1
- Business records -- New Mexico 1
- Camping -- New Mexico -- Pictorial works 1
- Canada -- Pictorial works 1
- Cartoons & Comics 1
- Cattle 1
- Cattle -- Breeding 1
- Cattle breeders--New Mexico 1
- Cattle breeders--New Mexico--Pictorial works 1
- Cattle trade -- New Mexico -- Torrance County 1
- Cattle trade -- West (U.S.) 1
- Cattle trade New Mexico 1
- Cattle trade--New Mexico 1
- Cattle trade--New Mexico--Pictorial works 1
- Chase Ranch (N.M.) -- Pictorial works 1
- Church buildings -- Pictorial works 1
- Clippings 1
- Coe Ranch (N.M.) -- History 1
- Commercial buildings -- New Mexico -- Pictorial works 1
- Cowboys 1
- Cowboys -- New Mexico 1
- De Baca County (N.M.) -- History 1
- De Baca County (N.M.) -- History -- Pictorial works 1
- Eddy County (N.M.) -- History 1
- Education -- New Mexico 1
- Electioneering -- New Mexico 1
- Elections -- New Mexico 1
- Employees -- New Mexico -- Bell Ranch 1
- Fort Sumner (N.M.) -- History 1
- Fort Sumner (N.M.) -- History -- Pictorial works 1
- Fortification -- New Mexico -- Pictorial works 1
- Fowling -- New Mexico -- Bell Ranch 1
- Frontier and pioneer life -- Colorado 1
- Frontier and pioneer life -- Colorado -- Bonanza 1
- Frontier and pioneer life -- New Mexico -- Doña Ana County 1
- Frontier and pioneer life -- New Mexico -- Eddy County 1
- Frontier and pioneer life -- New Mexico -- Socorro County 1
- Frontier and pioneer life-- New Mexico 1
- Frontier and pioneer life--New Mexico History 1
- Frontier and pioneer life--West (U.S.) 1
- High roads to friendships 1
- Historic bridges -- New Mexico 1
- Historic buildings -- New Mexico -- Pictorial works 1
- Homestead law 1
- Homestead law--Pictorial works 1
- Horses 1
- Horses -- Training 1
- Hunting -- New Mexico -- Bell Ranch 1
- Indians of North America -- Pictorial works 1
- Indians, Treatment of -- New Mexico 1
- Irrigation canals and flumes -- New Mexico -- Eddy County (N.M.) 1
- Kelly (N.M.) -- History 1
- Lady and the law books 1
- Lakes -- New Mexico -- Pictorial works 1
- Land grants -- New Mexico 1
- Land grants -- New Mexico--History 1
- Land use -- New Mexico 1
- Legislation -- New Mexico 1
- Legislation -- United States 1
- Legislators -- New Mexico -- Biography 1
- Lincoln County (N.M.) 1
- Livestock -- Societies, etc 1
- Luna County (N.M.) -- History 1
- Magdalena (N.M.) -- History 1
- Manzano Mountains (N.M.) 1
- Maxwell Land Grant (N.M. and Colo.) 1
- Memoirs and biographies 1
- Merchants -- New Mexico -- Santa Fe 1
- Mexico -- Pictorial works 1
- Mines and mineral resources -- Colorado 1
- Mines and mineral resources -- New Mexico 1
- National monuments -- United States -- Pictorial works 1
- New Mexico -- Description and Travel -- 20th century -- Pictorial works 1 ∧ less
- Undetermined 1
- Red River Valley Company 5
- O'Donel, Charles M., 1860-1933 4
- Anderson, Clinton Presba, 1895-1975 2
- Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railroad Company 2
- Mitchell, Albert K., b. 1894 2
- Stevens, Montague, 1859-1953 2
- Tisdall, Arthur J., d. 1898 2
- Armstrong, Ruth W. 1
- Aubry, François Xavier, 1824-1854 1
- Baca, Elfego, 1864-1945 1
- Billy, the Kid 1
- Chisum, John Simpson, 1824-1884 1
- Cleaveland, Agnes Morley, 1874-1958 1
- Coe, Louise Holland 1
- Coe, Wilbur, 1894- 1
- Cutting, Bronson M., 1888-1935 1
- Davis, W. W. H. (William Watts Hart), 1820-1910 1
- Democratic Party (N.M.) 1
- Ellis, George F. 1
- Ellis, Mattie 1
- Fall, Albert B. (Albert Bacon), 1861-1944 1
- Gilpin, Laura, 1891-1979 1
- Hurd, Peter, 1904-1984 1
- Jones, Andrieus Aristieus, 1862-1927 1
- Knox, John Harvey 1
- Lane, Rose Wilder, 1886-1968 1
- Martínez, María Montoya 1
- Montoya, Pablo, d. 1847 1
- New Mexico Cattle Growers Association 1
- New Mexico. Coronado Cuarto Centennial Commission 1
- O'Donel family 1
- Remley, David A. 1
- Stoddard Jr., Carlos F 1
- Waddingham, Wilson 1
- Waters, Frank, 1902-1995 1
- Western Writers of America 1 ∧ less