Showing Collections: 1 - 25 of 68
Alamo Navajo Oral History Project
Scope and Content The Alamo Navajo Oral History Project collection consists of 23 interviews on 26 CDs with related photographs. The interviews were conducted between 1977 and 1984 with people from the Alamo Navajo Reservation in southwestern New Mexico. The interviewees include: Louise Abeyta, Narciso Abeyta, John Anderson Pino, Denny Y. Apachito, Julian Apachito, Martiano Apachito, Billy Apachito, Hattie Apachito, Helen Apachito, Ida Apachito, Bessie Field Baca, John M. Baca. Thomas Ganadonegro, John Guerro,...
Albuquerque Agricultural Resilience Oral History Collection
Scope and Contents This collection consists of interviews with five farmers at the Rio Grande Community Farm in Albuquerque, New Mexico. The interviews were conducted in July 2021 by students in Brady McCartney’s Sustainability Studies 384 course at the University of New Mexico. Topics discussed include local agricultural practices; acequias, irrigation and water issues; the impact of climate change on local farmers, communities, and the ecosystems; climate resilience plans; the backgrounds of the farmers;...
American Indian Oral History Collection
Abstract The American Indian Oral History collection contains recorded interviews with and about Native Americans. There were 904 recordings collected by the University of New Mexico between 1967-1972. The bulk of the interviews contain oral traditions and recollections from Navajos and Pueblos. Transcripts are available for most of the recordings.
Anthony Louderbough Oral History Collection
Abstract This collection consists of five oral history interviews conducted by Anthony Louderbough with individuals depicted in the related Anthony Louderbough Pictorial Collection.
Atrisco Oral History Project
Scope and Content The Atrisco Oral History Project, also known as Herencia: The Atrisco Community, was conducted over nine months in 1984, with the exception of one interview which was conducted in 1981. The project was directed by Dr. Raymond Burrola and consists of interviews with 35 residents of the Atrisco area in Albuquerque's South Valley. The project was sponsored by the Southwest Hispanic Research Institute at the University of New Mexico, in conjunction with the Albuquerque Museum and University of New...
Dates: 1981-1984, (bulk 1984)
Beatrice Mandelman and Louis Ribak Papers
Identifier: MSS -1002-BC
Abstract The collection contains Beatrice Mandelman and Louis Ribak's personal papers, art-related documents, and the Mandelman-Ribak Foundation's Oral Archives History Project.
Bennett Hammer LGBT Collection
Abstract The Bennett Hammer LGBT Collection includes materials from 1970 to 2017 and consists of news clippings, organizational documents, memorabilia, and publications.
Caprock Oral History Project,
Identifier: MSS -637-BC
Scope and Content The project consists of thirteen oral history interviews from eleven different people living in New Mexicos East-Central Caprock region. All interviews were conducted by Craig Newbill during the Summer of 1992, except for Bernice and Pete Newbill who were initially interviewed in November of 1988, and subsequently in February and August of 1990, respectively. Pete and Bernice Newbill are the only interviewees who were interviewed twice. The collection contains twelve ninety minute audio...
Cecilia Portal Papers
Scope and Content The collection contains materials relating to Cecilia Portal's career as a photographer and interviewer in New Mexico in the 1990's. The bulk of the collection includes photographs, oral histories (on CDs), and publicity for the project/exhibit, LAS MUJERES DE LA TIERRA DEL SOL (1994). The collection also contains publicity, an article, and the Artist's statement corresponding with her work, DREAMS AND MYTHS (1991-1993). 30 slides were added to the collection and transferred to CSWR...
Chaco Canyon Old Timers Reunion Oral History Project
Abstract Memoirs of personnel working at Chaco Canyon National Monument from 1922-1941
Charlemaud Curtis Collection of Southwestern Music, Interviews and Programs
Abstract The Curtis collection contains a wide variety of recordings including music, programs and interviews. They range from Navajo, Pueblo, Keresan, Laguna and Mescalero Apache and songs and dances, Spanish alabados, Christmas plays, and wedding dances and popular music, to Anglo American fiddle and cowboy tunes and African American gospel music. Also included are some songs from the Cheyenne and Plains Indians, the Tarahumara of Chihuahua, the Indians of Mexico, Venezuela, Colombia and Peru, and a...
Charlotte Johnson Frisbie Collection of Navajo Music and Oral Histories
Abstract This is a copy of the field recordings made by Charlotte S. Johnson on the Navajo Reservation in 1963-1965. There are large segments of Navajo dialogue with English translations. The collection contains a wide range of songs and oral histories that provide an in depth view of Navajo religion, society and history.
Chicano Student Movement at Western New Mexico University Oral History Project
Scope and Content This collection consists of seven (7) interviews, five of which are recorded on six (6), ninety-minute cassette tapes. The interviews were conducted by Mario A. R. Carreon with the following individuals: Johnny Arzola, Juan Castanoa, Maria Gutierrez-Spencer, David Maestas, Luis Nolasco, Mike M. Ordaz, and Saul Ramos. There are tape logs for all interviews, however, there are no original cassette tapes for interviews with Johnny Arzola and Juan Castanoa. The collection also contains background...
Dates: 1965-1991 ( bulk, 1991)
David Correia Research Papers
Abstract The David Correia Research Papers document the history and people of the Tierra Amarilla land grant conflict in Northern New Mexico.
Dates: 1901-2009; Majority of material found within 1955-2009
Donald J. Usner Plaza del Cerro in Chimayo Oral History Interviews
Abstract This is a collection of oral history recordings and tape logs with long-time residents of Chimayo, NM. Don Usner is the interviewer. Interviewees speak about their memories of the Plaza del Cerro, the history of Chimayo, and tell stories about life in Chimayo.
Donald P. Jewell Maidu-Concow Indian Oral History Collection
Abstract This collection consists of 51 CDs containing oral interviews with Frank Day, Bryan Beavers and Leland Scott, members of the Maidu-Concow tribe.
E. J. Workman Papers about the VT Fuze
Abstract The VT Fuze is the variable timing fuse developed during World War II and is one of the most significant technological advancements in twentieth-century weaponry. This collection consists of reports, clippings, a DVD containing three videos, and an oral history detailing the testing of the VT Fuze.
Dates: 1944-1998; Majority of material found within 1944-1945
East Mountain Historical Society Oral History Project
Scope and Content The East Mountain Oral History Project collection consists of interviews conducted by Joyce Mendel with the following residents: Jose Candelaria, Bob Cooper, Adilia Garcia, Leandro Garcia, Barbara Herrera, Tom Herrera, Bill Loudon, Andres Mora, Antonia Mora, Dorela Perea, David Salazar, Jacquelyn Schaefer, M. Zanettie and Vicki Scoresone. The interviews are in a combination of English and Spanish languages. The collection also includes a tape of reminiscences from Alejandro Herrera, recorded in...
Dates: 1908-2001 (bulk, 1989-1996)
Edmund Ladd Collection of Zuni Pueblo and Acoma Pueblo Recordings
Abstract The collection consists primarily of Zuni Pueblo cultural materials (with some Acoma Pueblo language materials) originally recorded on four reel-to-reel tapes by Edmund Ladd in 1953-1956.
Edwin Berry Oral History Interviews and Songs
Scope and Content This collection consists of 30 CDs each containing one hour of oral interviews and/or renditions by Edwin Berry (Baca), a pioneer resident of Tomé, New Mexico. These interviews were conducted by Dr. Rowena Rivera, a former professor of Spanish at the University of New Mexico. In 1979, Dr. Rivera interviewed Edwin Berry, who was at the time 66 years old. Mr. Berry gave an account of life in the Tomé area in the early part of the 20th century. In addition to the oral history, the recordings...
Dates: 1979-2000 (bulk 1979-1982)
Emlen Hall papers
Identifier: MSS 897 BC
Abstract The Emlen Hall collection consists of audio interviews conducted with a variety of individuals, government officials, and attorneys in New Mexico and Texas involved with water issues and litigation, particularly relating to the Pecos River.
Enrique Lamadrid Collection of Folk Songs, Oral Histories and Photographic Projects
Abstract The collection features sound recordings and background information on Juan B. Rael, interviews and photos from the 1995 Farmers’ Markets Project in Colorado Springs, and folk music recordings (corridos, inditas, alabados and other traditional songs) and photographs with Native Americans and Hispanics of New Mexico, Cajuns in Texas, and Mexicans on the U.S. Mexican border. Topics covered range from life along the Rio Grande, the Penitentes, Matachines, the blessing of the acequias, tributes to...
Finding aid of the Oral History Interviews of the New Mexico Department of Transportation Oral History Mitigation Projects
Abstract The collection consists of oral history interviews conducted by Shawn Kelley for Paramatrix, under contract with the New Mexico Department of Transportation. The interviews were designed to mitigate adverse effects of various projects, including US 82 (Riley Homestead) Data Recovery Project (Eddy County, NM) and Cambray Bridge Replacement Mitigation Project (Luna County, NM).
Finlandia Society of Albuquerque Oral History Project Collection,
Identifier: MSS -607 -BC
Scope and Content This oral history collection consists of thirty-six (36) interviews recorded on thirty-three (33), ninety-minute cassette tapes. There are no transcripts although interview summaries written by Rev. Wargelin are included.Included in the collection is a tape in which Rev. Wargelin recalls an interview that was done in 1985 with artist and illustrator, Hella Shattuck. The collection also contains biographical materials about Hella Shattuck, including photocopies of news clippings from...
Fray Angélico Chávez History Library's WPA New Mexico Collection
Identifier: NMU CSWR WPA
Abstract Most of the New Mexico WPA stories were collected among Hispanic and Anglo Americans across the state. They contain folk tales, songs, customs, town histories and biographies of pioneer leaders. Some stories relate to Native American topics; a few materials pertain to African Americans and Chinese immigrants.
- Sound recordings 20
- Photographs 11
- Interviews 10
- Clippings 8
- Letters 7
- Mural painting and decoration 7
- Correspondence 4
- Education, Bilingual--New Mexico 3
- Minorities -- Political activity -- United States 3
- Acculturation -- New Mexico 2
- Alabados 2
- Art--Slides 2
- Artists -- New Mexico -- Taos 2
- Chicano Movement--History--20th century. 2
- Christmas plays, Spanish -- New Mexico 2
- City planning -- New Mexico -- Albuquerque 2
- Diaries 2
- Ephemera 2
- Ethnic neighborhoods 2
- Exhibition catalogs 2
- Folk music – New Mexico 2
- Folklore -- New Mexico 2
- Frontier and pioneer life--New Mexico 2
- Hispanic Americans--Cultural assimilation 2
- Indians of North America -- Education 2
- Interviews -- Sound recordings 2
- Matachines (Dance) 2
- Matachines (Music) 2
- Mexican Americans – Southwest, New -- Ethnic identity 2
- Mexican Americans--Ethnic identity 2
- Minorities in art 2
- Multicultural education--New Mexico 2
- Music – New Mexico 2
- Navajo Indians 2
- New Mexico -- Ethnic relations 2
- New Mexico -- History -- 20th century 2
- New Mexico--Ethnic relations 2
- New Mexico--Genealogy 2
- Nob Hill District (Albuquerque, N.M.) -- History 2
- Pueblo Indians 2
- Railroads -- New Mexico -- History 2
- Ranch life -- New Mexico 2
- Reports 2
- Songs, Spanish – New Mexico 2
- Transcripts 2
- United States. Forest Service 2
- Abstract expressionism--United States--20th century 1
- Academia de la Nueva Raza and Rio Grande Institute Records 1
- Account books 1
- Acoma dialect 1
- African American Women--New Mexico-Interviews 1
- African American student movements--History--20th century. 1
- African Americans – New Mexico – Music 1
- Agriculture -- New Mexico 1
- Agriculture --New Mexico--History 1
- Alamo Navajo Reservation (N.M.) 1
- Albums 1
- Albuquerque (N.M.) -- Centennial celebrations, etc 1
- Albuquerque (N.M.) -- Economic conditions 1
- Albuquerque (N.M.) -- History 1
- Albuquerque (N.M.) -- History -- 20th century 1
- Albuquerque (N.M.) -- Social life and customs 1
- Albuquerque -- New Mexico -- History -- 20th century 1
- American Indian Movement 1
- American literature - Hispanic American authors 1
- American literature - Indian authors 1
- Annexation (Municipal government) -- New Mexico -- Albuquerque 1
- Archaeology -- New Mexico -- Chaco Canyon -- History. 1
- Architects -- New Mexico 1
- Architecture -- New Mexico -- Albuquerque 1
- Armijo (N.M.) 1
- Art colonies – New Mexico – Santa Fe 1
- Art, American -- New Mexico -- 20th century 1
- Art, American -- New Mexico -- Santa Fe 1
- Art--Exhibitions 1
- Articles 1
- Artists -- New Mexico 1
- Artists -- New Mexico -- Santa Fe 1
- Atrisco (Albuquerque, N.M.) 1
- Atrisco (Albuquerque, N.M.) -- History 1
- Atrisco Albuquerque, N.M. -- Social life and customs 1
- Attitude (Psychology) - - Testing 1
- Authors, American -- 20th century 1
- Authors, American -- 20th century -- Interviews 1
- Awards 1
- Be Here Now 1
- Belen (N.M.) -- History 1
- Boarding Schools -- New Mexico -- History 1
- Boarding Schools -- United States -- History 1
- Bosque Redondo Indian Reservation (N.M.) 1
- Canticos Espirituales 1
- Chaco Canyon (N.M.) -- History 1
- Chama (N.M.) -- History 1
- Chicano Civil Rights Movement -- New Mexico -- 20th Century 1
- Chicano movement -- New Mexico 1
- Chimayo (N.M.) -- History 1
- Christmas plays -- New Mexico 1
- Church music -- Catholic Church 1
- Church music – Ne w Mexico – Catholic Church 1 ∧ less
- English 67
- Spanish; Castilian 12
- Navajo; Navaho 5
- North American Indian languages 3
- Central American Indian languages 1
- Catalan; Valencian 1
- Lao 1
- Undetermined 1
- Zuni 1 ∧ less
- Albuquerque Museum 1
- Allison, J. H. (John Howard) 1
- Andrés, Benny J., Jr. (Benny Joseph) 1
- Antreasian, Garo Z., 1922-2018 1
- Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railroad Company 1
- Atencio, Tomás, 1932-2014 1
- Cobos, Rubén 1
- Doris Duke Foundation 1
- Hewett, Edgar L. (Edgar Lee), 1865-1946 1
- Inter-Tribal Indian Ceremonial Association 1
- Kiva Club (University of New Mexico) 1
- Matthews, Kay 1
- Mechem, E. L. (Edwin Leard), 1912-2002 1
- Nob Hill Main Street, Inc. 1
- University of New Mexico. Department of Facility Planning 1
- University of New Mexico. Students 1
- Waters, Frank, 1902-1995 1
- Workman, E. J. (Everly John), 1899- 1 ∧ less