Showing Collections: 1 - 25 of 31
Albert B. Fall Papers
Abstract The collection contains papers covering Fall's career as U.S. Senator and Secretary of the Interior. It includes correspondence, newspaper clippings, congressional records dealing with oil scandals and Mexican affairs, and federal court transcripts and briefs relating to his legal troubles.
Dates: 1851-1927; Majority of material found in 1922-1927
Antonio A. Sedillo Papers,
Abstract This collection contains one scrapbook and three folders consisting mainly of newspaper clippings pertaining to the formation of the Progressive Party in New Mexico and the controversy created by a purposed survey to determine the level of racism among high school students, both events occurring in the early 1930s. Also included are some speeches and correspondence of attorney Antonio A. Sedillo who was a member of the Progressive Party.
Bernard Shandon Rodey Scrapbook and Documents
Abstract The collection consists of documents and a scrapbook containing newspaper articles related to Bernard Rodey's two terms in the U.S. House of Representatives.
Caroline and Margaret Schmidt Papers,
Identifier: MSS -641-BC
Abstract This collection contains papers of Caroline Schmidt and her sister Margaret, covering their teaching careers and education in New Mexico. It also includes political campaign material from New Mexico elections in the 1940's.
Clyde Tingley and Carrie Tingley Papers
Abstract The collection includes correspondence of Clyde and Carrie Tingley, as well as material related to the City of Albuquerque, Carrie Tingley Hospital, and the New Mexico State Fair. Materials focus on Tingley’s time as Mayor/Chairman of the City of Albuquerque and Governor of New Mexico.
Dates: 1856-1959; Majority of material found within 1935-1955
Clyde Tingley and Carrie Tingley Photograph Collection
Abstract The collection primarily consists of photographs of Clyde Tingley by himself and with others. Photographs document Tingley's personal life and professional role as Governor of New Mexico and Albuquerque City Commissioner. There are also photographs of Carrie Tingley.
Dates: 18??-1953; Majority of material found within 1933-1953
Colonel John L. Gay Collection of Papers Pertaining to the Armijo Family,
Scope and Content The John L. Gay collection (1841-1902) consists primarily of business documents and correspondence concerning Manuel and Rafael Armijo. These papers are particularly valuable in that they throw light on some phases of the Civil War period in New Mexico. The Armijos were merchants with stores in Albuquerque, Mesilla and other places in New Mexico. The Armijos identified themselves with the South at the beginning of the Civil War, and sold quantities of merchandise to Baylor, Sibley, and other...
Dates: 1841-1902 (bulk 1854-1887)
Concha Ortiz y Pino de Kleven Papers
Abstract This collection contains audiotaped interviews, news clippings, articles, pamphlets, brochures, news letters, correspondence, and a scrapbook documenting the life and social career of Concha Ortiz y Pino de Kleven.
Dennis Chávez Papers
Identifier: MSS 394 BC
Scope and Content The Dennis Chávez Papers are comprised of material from Chávez' career as a politician. This includes his tenure in the New Mexico State Legislature, as well as in the United States Congress, where he was involved in such areas as Indian affairs, labor, the Post Office, the Defense Department, Latin American issues, and New Deal programs. The collection contains personal and congressional papers and correspondence (including materials relating to Senator Joseph McCarthy), photographs, news...
Dates: 1921-1963; Majority of material found in 1930-1962
Dolores Goddard Collection of Elfego Baca
Abstract This is a collection of correspondence, photos, newspaper clippings and articles about Elfego Baca as retained by his family after his death and collected in subsequent years. They provide a view of Baca’s political, business and family life beyond the well-known 1884 gunfight in Socorro County.
E.A. Graves letters to Governor David Meriwether regarding Indians in the New Mexico Territory
Abstract The collection consists of correspondence from E. A. Graves, Indian Agent, to Governor and Superintendent of Indian Affairs for New Mexico Territory, David Meriwether. Most letters inform Meriwether of situations with the Utahs, Navajos, and Apaches, and seek advice or action on the part of the Governor.
Edmund G. Ross Papers
Scope and Content The Ross Collection consists of 22 folders, arranged in chronological order, with manuscript and printed materials relating to Ross's role as soldier and senator from Kansas from 1865-1879; his activities in New Mexico from 1881 to 1885; his role as governor of New Mexico from 1885 to 1889; his activities as a private citizen/author/printer from 1890 to 1907. Photographs and photocopies of photographs are also included. The last folders in the box contain genealogical material and photocopied...
Edward L. Bartlett Papers
Abstract The collection consists of the general correspondence of Edward L. Bartlett in his positions as Adjutant General of the Territory of New Mexico, private attorney, and Solicitor General of the Territory of New Mexico, 1882/83-1885, 1896 and 1903
Elfego Baca Collection
Identifier: MSS -249-SC
Scope and Content Elfego Baca's campaign brochures make up the bulk of this small collection. The brochures contain a brief history of Baca's life, including stories of gunfights, Billy the Kid, and dealings with the law, while also outlining his political ambitions. Additionally, the collection contains two pieces of correspondence written by Baca, an open letter written by Baca about the 1940 election, a letter from Mrs. Elfego Baca to Clinton P. Anderson informing him of Baca's death, and Baca's memorial...
Dates: 1904-1945 (bulk 1934-1945)
Felipe Chaves Family Papers
Scope and Content The José Felipe Chaves collection is made up of 3 boxes containing family and business correspondence; business and political papers; indexed letter books, business journals, as well as miscellaneous books and journals; account books, school attendance books, and legal documents. The time span covered by this collection is 1739-1937. Many of the important names of Chaves' time are contained within the collection including correspondence with Bishop Lamy. The collection is divided into general...
Dates: 1739-1937 (bulk, 1850-1937)
George F. Ellis Papers
Abstract This collection contains correspondence and personal papers of George F. Ellis, manager of the Bell Ranch from 1947-1970, general and subject correspondence files (1944-1945) of former manager Albert K. Mitchell, and records from the Bell Ranch, 1929-1970.
George W. Prichard Family Papers,
Abstract This collection contains materials on New Mexico legal cases, mining ventures and George W. Prichard's political life, as well as his legal, business, and personal correspondence. The collection also contains the papers of Maude Hancock Prichard, concerning New Mexico women's involvement in World War I relief activities.
Harvey Butler Fergusson Correspondence
Scope and Content This collection contains 57 typewritten letters sent by Fergusson, dated March 18, 1910-November 10, 1911. Primarily, the letters relate to the New Mexico Constitutional Convention of 1910. They are addressed to Felix Martinez, James D. Whelan, E.C. de Baca, J.G. Fitch, M.W. McCoy and others. Also in the collection is a list of names for statehood proceedings in the Senate committee, a paper containing excerpts about Fergusson from Lincoln County newspapers, 1883-1884, and some miscellaneous...
Henry A. Kiker Papers
Abstract This collection contains correspondence and other papers relating to legal cases of Henry A. Kiker, and the law firm of Bickley & Kiker, 1879-1934.
Dates: 1879-1934; Majority of material found within 1901-1934
Holm O. Bursum Papers
Scope and Content The materials in the collection document Holm O. Bursum's personal life as well as his business and political careers. Correspondence, documents, and news clippings chronicle Bursum's ranching activities, his tenure as warden at the New Mexico State Penitentiary, various election campaigns, Republican Party involvements, and legislative activities. It includes documents relating to the controversial Indian Lands Bill, commonly known as the Bursum Bill. Albert B. Fall, Bronson Cutting and Elfego...
James Josiah Webb Correspondence
Identifier: MSS -232 -SC
Abstract The James J. Webb Correspondence consists of ten hand-written letters discussing business practices and salaries related to Webb's trading business and politics in New Mexico.
John Angus MacDonald Memoirs
Scope and Content The manuscript, handwritten by John Angus MacDonald, describes five decades of his life in Colorado and New Mexico from the 1870s to the 1920s. It is not a detailed autobiography and is not in chronological order. There is a brief family history beginning on page 240. MacDonald reminisces about his boyhood in the San Luis Valley in Colorado, describing the customs of the Indians, the different ethnic groups that settled the area and the coming of the railroad. The manuscript contains...
John Baron Burg Papers
Scope and Content The John Baron Burg collection contains Bernalillo, Sandoval and Valencia County land, property and business records from the Burg and Otero families. It also contains political and personal correspondence dealing with family matters and Burg’s campaign for Albuquerque Post Master and New Mexico District Attorney. The collection also contains three scrapbooks with newspaper clippings, letters, voting ballots, political cartoons and ephemera. One scrapbook contains clippings of a column series...
Marion Dargan Papers
Scope and Content The collection primarily contains notes taken in preparation for writing, "New Mexico's Fight for Statehood, 1895-1912," which appeared in the New Mexico Historical Review from 1939 to 1943. It includes biographical data on Miguel Antonio Otero, Harvey Butler Fergusson, Thomas B. Catron, Herbert Hagerman, Shandon Bernard Rodey and others; excerpts from newspapers; quotations from documents; and correspondence with those involved in the statehood fight...
Dates: 1890-1943 (bulk 1890-1912)
New Mexico Indian Agent correspondence and documents
Abstract This collection contains correspondence and documents relating to Apache and Navajo affairs in New Mexico during the mid-ninetieth century.
- New Mexico -- Politics and government -- 1848-1950 30
- New Mexico -- History -- 1848- 11
- Frontier and pioneer life -- New Mexico 4
- Letters 3
- New Mexico's Digital Collections 3
- Politicians -- New Mexico 3
- Courts -- New Mexico 2
- Governors--New Mexico 2
- Hispanic Americans -- New Mexico -- Politics and government 2
- Indian agents -- New Mexico -- Correspondence 2
- Indians of North America -- Government relations -- Sources 2
- Lawyers -- New Mexico 2
- Mines and mineral resources -- New Mexico 2
- Photographs 2
- Progressivism (United States politics) 2
- Ranch life -- New Mexico 2
- San Miguel County (N.M.) -- Politics and government 2
- Socorro County (N.M.) -- History 2
- Women legislators -- New Mexico 2
- Belen (N.M.) -- History 1
- Bronson M. Cutting : progressive politician 1
- Business and politics -- New Mexico 1
- Cattle -- Breeding 1
- Cattle trade -- New Mexico -- History 1
- Chihuahua (Mexico : State)--Politics and government -- 19th century 1
- Chihuahua (Mexico : State)--Politics and government -- 20th century 1
- City planning -- New Mexico -- Albuquerque 1
- Clippings 1
- Colfax County (N.M.) -- Trials, litigation, etc. 1
- College students' writings, American - - New Mexico - - Albuquerque 1
- Conchas Lake (N.M.) -- Pictorial works 1
- Constitutional conventions -- New Mexico 1
- Constitutional history -- New Mexico 1
- Correspondence 1
- Courts - New Mexico 1
- Discrimination in employment--Law and legislation--United States 1
- Education - New Mexico 1
- Education -- New Mexico -- Albuquerque 1
- Education, Bilingual 1
- Educators -- New Mexico -- Albuquerque 1
- El Paso County (Tex.) -- History 1
- Electioneering -- New Mexico 1
- Elections -- New Mexico 1
- Employees -- New Mexico -- Bell Ranch 1
- Folk art -- New Mexico 1
- Food -- Preservation 1
- Fowling -- New Mexico -- Bell Ranch 1
- Frontier and pioneer life -- Colorado 1
- Governors -- New Mexico 1
- Hispanic American Women -- Interviews 1
- Hispanic American business enterprises - New Mexico 1
- Hispanic American politicians--New Mexico 1
- History of the Impeachment of Andrew Johnson 1
- Hunting -- New Mexico -- Bell Ranch 1
- Indians of North America -- New Mexico 1
- Indians of North America--Government relations 1
- Indians of North America--Government spending policy 1
- Indians of North America--New Mexico--Claims 1
- Indians of North America--New Mexico--Government relations 1
- Judges -- New Mexico 1
- Kansas -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 1
- Kansas--Politics and Government--1865-1950 1
- Land Grants -- New Mexico 1
- Land claims -- New Mexico 1
- Land grants 1
- Land grants -- New Mexico 1
- Land subdivision -- New Mexico -- Albuquerque 1
- Land titles -- New Mexico 1
- Language and culture--New Mexico 1
- Language surveys--New Mexico 1
- Las Vegas (N.M.) -- Politics and government 1
- Latin America--Foreign relations--United States 1
- Lawyer 1
- Legislation -- New Mexico 1
- Legislation -- United States 1
- Legislators -- United States -- Biography 1
- Magdalena (N.M.) -- History 1
- Maxwell (N.M.) -- History 1
- Merchants -- New Mexico -- Santa Fe 1
- Mexico--Relations--United States 1
- Mines and mineral resources -- Colorado 1
- New Deal, 1933-1939 1
- New Deal, 1933-1939 - New Mexico. 1
- New Mexico -- Description and travel 1
- New Mexico -- Education -- 20th century 1
- New Mexico -- History 1
- New Mexico -- History -- 20th century 1
- New Mexico -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 1
- New Mexico -- History -- To 1848 1
- New Mexico -- Militia 1
- New Mexico -- Politics and government 1
- New Mexico -- Politics and government -- 1848-1950 -- Pictorial works 1
- New Mexico -- Politics and government -- 1951- 1
- New Mexico -- Statehood 1
- New Mexico Central Railroad 1
- New Mexico Federation of Women's Clubs 1
- New Mexico--Statehood (American politics) 1
- New Mexico--Statehood--(American politics) 1
- New Mexico. Constitution -- History 1
- Poliomyelitis 1 ∧ less
- Spanish; Castilian 2
- Baca, Elfego, 1864-1945 3
- Cutting, Bronson M., 1888-1935 3
- Fall, Albert B. (Albert Bacon), 1861-1944 3
- Tingley, Carrie Wooster, 1877-1961 2
- Tingley, Clyde 2
- University of New Mexico 2
- Albuquerque & Cerrillos Coal Company 1
- Anderson, Clinton Presba, 1895-1975 1
- Andrews, William H. (William Henry), 1842-1919 1
- Austin, Mary, 1868-1934 1
- Billy, the Kid 1
- Carrie Tingley Hospital for Crippled Children 1
- Catron, Thomas Benton, 1840-1921 1
- Chavez, Dennis, 1888-1962 1
- Democratic Party (N.M.) 1
- Democratic Party (N.M.). State Central Committee 1
- Dillon, Richard Charles, 1877-1966 1
- Ellis, George F. 1
- Lane, Rose Wilder, 1886-1968 1
- Maxwell Land Grant Company 1
- New Mexico Cattle Growers Association 1
- New Mexico. Legislature 1
- Pyle, Ernie, 1900-1945 1 ∧ less