Showing Collections: 1 - 25 of 27
Adolph Bandelier Collection
Identifier: AC 012
Scope and Content The Bandelier collection consists of artifacts, documents, illustrations, maps, and photographs. For the most part all are in stable condition. The bulk of the collection came to the library upon the death of Mrs. Fanny Ritter Bandelier in accordance with the terms of her will. Other Bandelier memorabilia and artifacts were donated by various persons who were friends of the Bandeliers. Journals Of the document portion of the collection,...
Dates: August 28-December 15 -
Alexander Brydie Dyer Papers,
Identifier: AC 070-P
Scope and Content Collection consists of material related to Dyer's involvement in the Taos Revolt.
Amelia Hollenback Jr. Collection
Identifier: AC 544
Scope and Content The collection consists of diaries, journals, letters, personal and home expenses, social and charitable events, clubs and other organizations, childhood memorabilia, and photographs of the Hollenback family who lived in Pennsylvania, New York and New Mexico. NOTE: The family names and relationships in the genealogy folders (Box 1, Folders 1 and 2) of the Hollenback,Welles, and Beard families The original photographs are in the collections of the New Mexico Photo Archives (HP.2011.26). Most of...
Dates: 1820-1970; Majority of material found in 1880-1920
Augustus Long Street Hull Journal,
Identifier: AC 112-P
Scope and Content One journal kept by Hull on a 1908 trip he made to New Mexico from Georgia to visit his daughter May and her husband Judge William Pope. Pope became the first Chief Justice of the New Mexico Supreme Court under statehood in 1912. The trip lasted two months and included visits to Roswell, Santa Fe, Cloudcroft, the Slaughter Ranch, the Diamond A Ranch, the Mescalero Apache Reservation, and Tesuque Pueblo. Various parts of the journey were made by train, automobile, and horse and wagon. The...
Benjamin Morris Thomas Collection
Identifier: AC 221
Scope and Content
- Misc. newspapers and clippings.
- Misc. correspondence, typed and handwritten.
- Annual reports, diairies, account books, scrapbooks, checkbooks, checks, manuals, notebooks, map of Europe after WW I.
- Government documents (Federal and territorial).
- Deeds, property assessments.
- Various and sundry items.
Charles F. Lummis Collection,
Identifier: AC 138
Scope and Content Summary: Collection consists of Lummis's journals and correspondence, as well as articles by Lummis and clippings on Pueblo Indian topics. The journals consist of typed carbon copies of very detailed entries from 1917 to 1920. The correspondence is from 1891 to 1912 and consists primarily of carbon copies of typed letters sent by Lummis to various individuals, including his daughter Turbese and son Keith, as well as Eugene Manlove Rhodes, John Muir, Ernest T. Seton, and Frank Springer. On the...
Charles H. Lange Collection
Identifier: AC 394
Scope and Content Collection contains drafts/transcriptions for the Adolph Bandelier diaries covering 1885 - 1892 (published in four volumes by the University of New Mexico Press). Included are transcripts of Bandelier material from 1880 - 1891 prepared by A. J. O. Anderson and Fanny Bandelier. A file of approximately 820 index cards with names is also included.
Dominguez y Escalante Bicentennial Expedition Collection
Identifier: AC 574
Scope and Content Collection contains material associated with a 1976 trail ride commemorating the original 1776 Dominguez y Escalante Expedition trail through New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, and Arizona. This material documents the preliminaries and life on the trail through diaries, journals, and newspapers.
Edward W. Wynkoop Collection,
Identifier: AC 247
Scope and Content Collection consists of materials by and about Wynkoop. Includes a scrapbook of newspaper clippings collected by Wynkoop from 1859 to 1891, certificates and letters received by Wynkoop from 1861 to 1883, and a photocopy and typescript of Wynkoop's memoirs. Much of the materials in this collection relate to the Civil War in the West, the Sand Creek Massacre of Indians in Colorado, and John Chivington, a rival of Wynkoop who was also the leader of the American forces responsible for the Sand Creek...
Dates: 1859-1987 (bulk, 1859-1891)
Eugenie Frederica Shonnard Collection,
Identifier: AC 211
Scope and Content The collection revolves around the internationally recognized sculptor and longtime resident of Santa Fe -- Eugenie Fredericka Shonnard. The bulk of the collection is from the mid-nineteenth century to the late 1970s. The collection is arranged both topically and chronologically. Biographical sketches precede those individuals whose papers comprise a significant portion of the overall collection. Collection consists of letters, diaries, ledgers, clippings, scrapbooks, notebooks,...
Dates: 1729-1978 (bulk, 1850-1978)
Frank V. Ortiz Collection,
Identifier: AC 362
Scope and Content The collection consists of Frank Ortiz's personal and diplomatic papers. The bulk of the material deals with his diplomatic and political career . Classified materials had been removed from the Frank V. Ortiz Collection in September 2006 by the U.S. State Department. In 2008 all but 18 documents have been declassified and returned to the Frank V. Ortiz Collection. A review of those remaining documents (either redacted or denied) will be requested in May of 2010. NOTE:...
Hunter Stephen Moles Collection,
Identifier: AC 150
Scope and Content The Moles Collection consists of one account ledger and 18 diaries with accompanying enclosures dating from 1908 to 1925.
I.D. Johnson Papers
Identifier: AC 545
Scope and Content This collection consists of seven diaries of Iretus Darrel Johnson (1904-1993), a dentist in Clovis, New Mexico, for the years 1941-1947 and various family items. Also included are three photocopies of his father’s (1868-) memories of Clovis in the early 20th Century, plus one photocopy of family memories of his grandfather Moses (1830-1896) and his father, I.C. Johnson, in Illinois and Iowa in the 1800’s.
Ivah Schumaker Collection,
Identifier: AC 232-P
Scope and Content Collection consists primarily of materials written by Ivah and Faye Schumaker of New Mexico. Includes a notebook with several separate sections of journal entries by either Ivah or Faye Schumaker describing various trips such as a 1914 camping trip to the Black Range in southwest New Mexico, a 1915 train trip to the Grand Canyon, and a 1922 train trip to New Orleans. Also within the collection are poems written by the Schumakers and a few newspaper clippings of poetry.
James Josiah Webb Memoirs,
Identifier: AC 236-P
Scope and Content Collection consists of a typescript of Webb's journal entitled "Memoirs of James J. Webb, Merchant in Santa Fe, New Mexico, 1844." The memoirs describe Webb's business in Santa Fe and his journey across the Santa Fe Trail. Includes materials on two of Webb's business partners, John M. Kingsbury and William S. Messervy.
John A. Clark Papers,
Identifier: AC 044
Scope and Content Collection consists of 25 journals (1861-1868) kept by John A. Clark, Surveyor of the Territory of New Mexico, a typescript of the journals, and a Confederate Army broadside from 1862. The 25 journals contain 1,943 handwritten diary pages, 48 hand drawn maps, about 50 pages, notes, expenses, lists of distances and miscellaneous sketches. Kitty Shishkin has done the typescript copy of the journals. The journals give detailed daily accounts of the writer's official and personal...
John C. Gullette Papers,
Identifier: AC 100-P
Scope and Content Collection consists of a journal kept by Gullette during a trip exploring and photographing Indian ruins in New Mexico and Arizona; a descriptive list of photographs taken on the trip; and a notebook filled with descriptions of Colorado by Gullette. Collection also includes a typescript of Gullette's journal, which details stops at Chaco Canyon, the Grand Canyon, Enchanted Mesa, and Acoma Pueblo.
Mary C. Douglass Papers,
Identifier: AC 067
Scope and Content Collection consists primarily of a journal kept by Mary C. Douglass of Massachussetts on a train trip to Santa Fe to visit her uncle Colonel Henry Douglass and his family. Her journal describes her visit to Santa Fe from January 12 to March 5 1889, including military activities at Ft. Marcy and social life in Santa Fe. From Santa Fe she traveled to San Diego and San Francisco with journal entries describing the social life in both cities. Collection also includes a 1889 roster of the United...
Nicholas Roosevelt Diary,
Identifier: AC 194-P
Scope and Content Diary contains descriptions and daily observations of Southwest Indians and landscape, the Grand Canyon, and other related topics. Nicholas Roosevelt, a cousin of Theodore Roosevelt, accompanied the U.S. President on this tour of the Southwest in the summer of 1913.
Randall Davey Collection,
Identifier: AC 057
Scope and Content This collection consists of Randall Davey's papers as well as those of his wife, Isabel, her sister, Kate H. Cullum, their siblings and their parents, John Caldwell Holt and Kate Gilbert Holt.
Roy Tilghman Collection,
Identifier: AC 222-P
Scope and Content One folders containing misc documents including wills, land transfers and other legal matters; religious books and a job of José Salaices, 1789-1818. The sketch includes information regarding Apache campaigns. A descriptive inventory is included with the documents. Many of the documents have been roughly translated.
Royal A. Prentice Papers,
Identifier: AC 225
Scope and Content The collection consists of correspondence and related materials of Royal A. Prentice dating from the 1930s. These literary materials consist of Prentice's correspondence relative to his avid hobby of Southwestern archaeology; which included a very close association with the Museum of New Mexico's Laboratory of Anthropology.
Sylvester Davis Diary Transcript,
Identifier: AC 058-P
Scope and Content One typescript of Davis's 1859 diary and a 1915 letter from donor Frank Clancy describing the diary. The diary was written on a journey from Illinois to New Mexico from April to October, 1859. Includes entries from a stay of several weeks working at mining camps in Colorado before Davis's party traveled south to New Mexico.
Theron Marquis Trombeau Papers,
Identifier: AC 224
Scope and Content The Theron Marquis Trombeau papers include manuscripts, publications, correspondence and journals written between 1927 and 1979. Trombeau wrote extensively about southern New Mexico. He also wrote fiction, poetry, newspaper columns and essays. Some of his works explore homosexuality.
William Blackmore Collection
Identifier: AC 018
Scope and Content The Blackmore Collection includes promotional and research material documenting his investment concerns. Blackmore was instrumental in publishing books about the Southwest, Spanish land grants, Mexican land law and United States Territorial law regarding land grants. 1932 Barbara Aitken, an anthropologist who worked with Edgar Lee Hewett, secured the Blackmore Papers for the Historical Society of New Mexico. The Charles D. Poston papers are part of the Blackmore Collection. Most of...
- Clippings 9
- New Mexico -- Description and travel 7
- Manuscripts 4
- New Mexico -- History -- 1848- 4
- New Mexico -- History -- To 1848 4
- Santa Fe (N.M.) -- Social life and customs 4
- Scrapbooks 4
- Colorado--Description and travel 3
- Correspondence 3
- Genealogy 3
- Photographs 3
- Poems 3
- Pueblo Indians 3
- Santa Fe (N.M.) -- History 3
- Account books 2
- Archaeology -- Southwest, New 2
- Arizona--Description and travel 2
- Authors, American -- New Mexico 2
- Europe--Description and travel 2
- Grand Canyon (Ariz.)--Description and travel 2
- Letters 2
- New Mexico -- Social life and customs 2
- Publications 2
- Santa Fe (N.M.) -- Commerce 2
- Santa Fe (N.M.) -- Description and travel 2
- Santa Fe Trail 2
- Translations 2
- Acoma (N.M.) 1
- Address books 1
- Agriculture -- Colorado 1
- Agriculture -- New Mexico 1
- Apache Indians -- Government relations. 1
- Archaeology -- Mexico 1
- Archaeology -- New Mexico 1
- Argentina -- Politics and government -- 1951- 1
- Argentina -- Relations -- United States 1
- Arizona -- Social life and customs 1
- Arizona--Description and travel -- 19th century 1
- Arizona--Description and travel -- 20th century 1
- Arizona--History -- To 1912 1
- Art--New Mexico--Santa Fe 1
- Artists -- New Mexico -- Santa Fe 1
- Authors, American -- Kansas 1
- Authors, American--Southwestern States 1
- Black Range (N.M.) -- Travel 1
- Broadsides 1
- Businessmen -- New Mexico -- Santa Fe 1
- By-laws 1
- Catholic Church -- Prayer-books and devotions -- Spanish 1
- Certificates 1
- Chaco Canyon (N.M.) 1
- Chamizal National Memorial (El Paso, Tex.) 1
- Cloudcroft (N.M.) -- Travel 1
- Clovis (N.M.) -- Biography 1
- Clovis (N.M.) -- History -- 19th century 1
- Clovis (N.M.) -- History -- 20th century 1
- Colorado--History--1876-1950 1
- Colorado--History--to 1876 1
- Colorado--Social life and customs 1
- Constitutions 1
- Conveyances 1
- Deeds 1
- Devotional literature 1
- Diamond A Ranch (Lincoln County, N.M.) 1
- Drawing 1
- Enchanted Mesa (Valencia, N.M.) 1
- Ephemera 1
- Estate records 1
- Ethiopia -- Relations -- United States 1
- Ethnology - Southwest, New 1
- Ethnology --Andes Region 1
- Ethnology --Southwest, New 1
- Excavations (Archaeology) -- New Mexico 1
- Exhibition catalogs 1
- Falkland Islands War, 1982 1
- Family histories 1
- Fiction 1
- Financial records 1
- Fort Marcy (N.M.) 1
- Frontier and pioneer life -- New Mexico 1
- Glorieta Pass (N.M.), Battle of, 1862 1
- Grand Canyon (Ariz.) 1
- Gregory Diggings District (Colo.) -- Travel 1
- Grenada -- Relations -- United States 1
- Grenada--History--American Invasion, 1983 1
- Grenada--History--Coup d'état, 1979 1
- Grenada--Politics and government -- 1951- 1
- Guadalupe, Our Lady of--controversy 1
- Guatemala -- Relations -- United States 1
- Guatemala--Politics and government -- 1951- 1
- Hunting -- West (U.S.) 1
- Indian agents -- New Mexico 1
- Indian agents--Colorado 1
- Indian reservations -- New Mexico -- Southern Apache Agency 1
- Indians of North America -- Arizona -- Antiquities 1
- Indians of North America -- New Mexico -- Antiquities 1
- Indians of North America -- Southwest, New 1
- Land tenure -- New Mexico 1
- Land titles -- Registration and transfer -- New Mexico -- Santa Fe County 1 ∧ less
- English 25
- Undetermined 22
- Spanish; Castilian 1
- Bandelier, Adolph Francis Alphonse, 1840-1914 2
- Lummis, Charles Fletcher, 1859-1928 2
- Alfonsín, Raúl, 1927-2009 1
- Anderson, Arthur J. O., 1907-1996 1
- Clancy, Frank W. (Frank Willey), 1852-1928 1
- Coronado, Francisco Vásquez de, 1510-1554 1
- Cullum, Kate H. 1
- Davey, Randall, 1887-1964 1
- Davis, W. W. H. (William Watts Hart), 1820-1910 1
- Hollenback, Amelia, 1877-1969 1
- Ortiz, Frank V., 1926-2005 1
- Thomas, B. M. (Benjamin Morris), 1843-1892 1
- United States. Army. Volunteer Cavalry, 1st 1 ∧ less