Skip to main content

UNM - Physics and Astronomy Building Documentation Project, Photographs

Identifier: PICT-2021-005

Scope and Contents

The UNM – Physics and Astronomy Building Documentation Project, Photographs collection contains 69 medium format black and white photographs and 17 digital color photographs, documenting the interior and exterior of the original 1951 John Gaw Meem-designed building and the 1964 George Pearl-designed addition.


  • 2020


Conditions Governing Access

The collection is open for research.

Copy Restrictions

Limited duplication of CSWR material is allowed for research purposes. User is responsible for compliance with copyright, privacy, and libel laws. Permission is required for publication or distribution. For more information see the Photographs and Images Research Guide and contact the Pictorial Archivist.

Biographical / Historical

In October 2020, the University of New Mexico commissioned photographer Martin Stupich to document the old Physics and Astronomy Building, prior to demolition, as part of a mitigation process determined by the New Mexico State Historic Preservation Office. Born in 1949, Martin Stupich is an accomplished architectural and landscape photographer based in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Stupich received his master’s degree in photography from Georgia State University. He spent the early days of his career photographing industrial landscapes. His work is represented in the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS), the Historic American Engineering Record (HAER), and the Historic American Landscape Survey (HALS) collections housed in the Library of Congress. He also records sites for the Army Corps of Engineers. In 2011, the Smithsonian Institution commissioned Stupich to document the Smithsonian Museum buildings, the Washington Monument Grounds and the National Mall. Designed in 1951 by Santa Fe architect, John Gaw Meem, the old Physics and Astronomy building was located on Lomas Boulevard, west of the UNM Hospitals. In 1964, Albuquerque architect George Pearl designed a substantial addition to the building. In late 2020, after nearly 70 years of facilitating student and professional education and research in physics and astronomy, the building was demolished to make way for a new addition to the UNM Hospitals.


1 Box

Language of Materials


Related Archival Material

Martin Stupich Photographic Documentation Projects. Center for Southwest Research and Special Collections, University of New Mexico Libraries.
Katie Conley
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description

Repository Details

Part of the UNM Center for Southwest Research & Special Collections Repository

University of New Mexico Center for Southwest Research & Special Collections
University Libraries, MSC05 3020
1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque NM 87131