Indians of North America Pictorial Collection
Scope and Content
Also included are 2 photo albums. One contains images of houses at Acomita, schoolhouses at Acomita and Laguna, the area around Acoma and McCartys, presidential train at Laguna Pueblo, Anglo and American Indian school teachers and pupils, families in front of tents, landscapes, a group of American Indian girls wearing fringed leather dresses and holding bows (identified as a "bow and arrow drill"), and a detailed photo of a large collection of Indian painted pottery. The name and compiler of this album is unknown. The note at the beginning of the album was written by the child of a woman shown in several of the photos. The note identifies one person as a school teacher. Two Pueblo schools are shown, suggesting that perhaps the album was compiled by a teacher's family who lived at one or more of the Pueblos. Persons named in the note are Mrs. Marmon (a teacher), Mrs. Babbitt, and Mr. Allen. The other album comprised of unidentified Native Americans and pueblos.
There is also a CD of 36 scans of glass lantern slides of various locations and Native American tribes (numbered 987-004 and 990-033) by F.H. Maude, as well as a CD of scans made from nitrate negatives of unknown Native Americans.
The original glass lantern slides can be found in box 3.
Collections 987-011, 997-011, and 995-055 have been merged together with this collection and can now be found in 994-045.
uncounted items (3 boxes) : uncounted photographic prints, glass plate negatives, illustrations, prints, drawings, 2 photograph albums, 2 CDs of digital scans
Language of Materials
- Apache Indians -- Pictorial works
- Church buildings -- New Mexico -- Pictorial works
- Dakota Indians -- Pictorial works
- Detroit Photographic Co
- Festivals -- New Mexico -- Taos Pueblo -- Pictorial works
- Hopi Indians -- Pictorial works
- Indian art -- North America -- Pictorial works
- Indians of North America -- California -- Pictorial works
- Indians of North America -- New Mexico -- Pictorial works
- Martínez, María Montoya
- Navajo Indians -- Pictorial works
- Pictorial works
- Pima Indians -- Pictorial works
- Pueblos -- New Mexico -- Pictorial works
- Spanish mission buildings -- New Mexico -- Pictorial works
- Finding Aid of the Indians of North America Pictorial Collection, 1860-1950
- Edited Full Draft
- Pictorial Collections Staff
- © 2008
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.
Part of the UNM Center for Southwest Research & Special Collections Repository
University of New Mexico Center for Southwest Research & Special Collections
University Libraries, MSC05 3020
1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque NM 87131