Wayne Lambert Pictorial Collection
Scope and Content
The Wayne Lambert Photograph Collection original accession consists of photographs and negatives of geological formations in New Mexico. These photographs were sponsored by the New Mexico Geological Society 1988 and 1993 Field Conference guide books. Some images were published in New Mexico Magazine and New Mexico Geology. The collection is housed in seven boxes and one oversized folder, organized by medium: prints, negatives, transparencies, manuscripts, and maps. Prints and negatives are housed separately but have corresponding numbers. All of the images in this collection are of geological formations in New Mexico. The map included is published by United States Department of the Interior Geological Survey which includes the New Mexico – Texas El Paso Gap Quadrangle. Wayne Lambert marked on the map where his photo stations are in Brokeoff Mountains. Manuscript material includes Lambert’s descriptions and other information about the photographs as well as biographical material about Lambert. Also included are issues of New Mexico Magazine (1992) and New Mexico Geology (2004, 2005) containing Lambert’s photographs.
Series 2: Addition 2020.
The addition to the collection contains fine art and geological photography mostly in black and white with a small number of color prints and negatives. There is a collection of ethnographic portraits, mainly taken in Mexico, and many images of landscapes throughout New Mexico, Arizona, California, Utah, and Mexico. The landscape photography highlights significant geological formations and waterways.
Lambert originally stored photographic prints in binders and negatives in archival metal edge boxes in plastic sleeves and covered in folded archival paper, and photographs and negatives are arranged chronologically. The organization was maintained for this collection, and the photographic prints were rehoused into archival binders. Collection has a number of 8 x 10 and some 4 x 5 photo negatives. Additional maps were added into the large folder that held one map from the original accession.
Some photography papers related to noteworthy images, ink jet prints, and related coursework have been retained with this collection while other geological and correspondence related information have been archived with the existing manuscript collection for Lambert. There is a significant amount of accompanying information for the prints in the photography papers included in the collection. Contextual information for the photographs Lambert found most noteworthy can be found in separate folders in Box 118, and the notes on other photographs is located in Box 119.
Lambert used a numbering system to label the large majority of his prints. The first two numbers in the label are the year the photo was taken, then "L" for Lambert, and a final one to three-digit number that documents the number of photos taken in each year (i.e. "80L15").
- Lambert, Wayne, 1937-2016 (Person)
Language of Materials
Reproduction and Use Restrictions
Lambert taught courses in geology and photography at West Texas State University (now West Texas A&M University) as a tenured professor. His students learned about a variety of photographic film techniques. His interest in both subjects also resulted in a publication on repeat photography, a photographic process used to by geologists to capture changes in the landscape over time.
Source: Wayne Lambert website (no longer available)
See also: Lambert, Wayne. Environmental Geology and Hydrology in New Mexico. Socorro, NM: New Mexico Geological Society, 1981.
6540 items (122 boxes, 1 folder) : 4500 transparencies, 2000 prints 40 maps
Collection Available Online
- Brokeoff Mountains Wilderness (N.M.) -- Pictorial works
- Formations (Geology) -- New Mexico -- Pictorial works
- Formations (Geology) -- Southwest, New -- Pictorial works
- Formations (Geology) -- Texas -- Pictorial works
- Gelatin silver prints
- Geology -- New Mexico -- Animas Mountains -- Pictorial works
- Geology -- New Mexico -- Big Hatchet Mountains Wilderness -- Pictorial works
- Geology -- New Mexico -- Sandia Mountains -- Pictorial works
- Geology -- Peloncillo Mountains (Ariz. and N.M.) -- Pictorial works
- Landscapes -- Arizona -- Pictorial works
- Landscapes -- California -- Pictorial works
- Landscapes -- Colorado -- Pictorial works
- Landscapes -- Mexico -- Pictorial works
- Landscapes -- New Mexico -- Pictorial works
- Landscapes -- Utah -- Pictorial works
- Palladium prints
- Platinum prints
- Repeat photography -- Pictorial works
- Finding Aid of the Wayne Lambert Pictorial Collection, 1969-2013
- C. Daniel, B. Stein, and Breanna Reiss
- © 2011, 2020
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- Funding provided by: University of New Mexico Center for Regional Studies.
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.
Part of the UNM Center for Southwest Research & Special Collections Repository
University of New Mexico Center for Southwest Research & Special Collections
University Libraries, MSC05 3020
1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque NM 87131