HABS Photographs and Documentation of St. Anthony’s Orphanage Classroom-Dormitory, Auditorium, and Chapel
Scope and Content
- Majority of material found within 1988-1989
41 additional acres were purchased for the orphanage during the 1930s. In time, the land was transformed into a lush and beautiful oasis, with “spacious lawns, a fine orchard, a large garden area, poultry yards, a swimming pool, a baseball diamond, and play grounds… The rest of the area was planted with alfalfa and grain."
Albuquerque’s urban growth engulfed the orphanage by the mid-1960s. Farming and livestock were no longer viable. Rising costs, declining numbers of children, and dramatic changes in child-care concepts all contributed to rendering the orphanage impractical. In 1971, the Sisters of St. Francis sold the property to the Department of Labor for the Albuquerque Job Corps. The orphanage closed for good on May 21, 1971, and the buildings were scheduled for demolition in March 1989.
36 plus items (1 folder) : 36 black and white photographs, plus documentation
Language of Materials
- Finding Aid of the HABS Photographs and Documentation of St. Anthony’s Orphanage Classroom-Dormitory, Auditorium, and Chapel, 1930-1989
- Edited Full Draft
- B. Silbergleit
- © 2020
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.
Part of the UNM Center for Southwest Research & Special Collections Repository
University of New Mexico Center for Southwest Research & Special Collections
University Libraries, MSC05 3020
1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque NM 87131