Reies Tijerina Photograph Collection
Scope and Content
Included in the collection is a Pictorial Collection Inventory. The Inventory includes a transcript of Reies Lopez Tijerina's commentary on the photographs in the original collection. In this commentary, Mr. Tijerina identifies many individuals pictured and provides personal recollections and historical context for the photographs. Also contained in the Inventory is a 2002 interview with Reies Lopez Tijerina conducted during a trip to Coyote, New Mexico to bring the Brotherhood Awareness Rock to the Center for Southwest Research as part of the Reies Lopez Tijerina Papers. The Inventory also includes a 10-page biographical essay on Mr. Tijerina.
Items in the addition are arranged by subject and date, 1946-2000. Please look in the contents of the original acquisition and addition when researching a specific topic as some subjects are represented in both.
In 1983, he relocated his family to Coyote, New Mexico, where he began to focus on international issues such as millennialism, nuclear armament, the Holocaust, and Middle Eastern issues, especially the Palestinian and Israeli conflict.Trials and tribulations from La Alianza days weighed heavily on Tijerina's family life. Two failed marriages and an arson fire in 1994 which destroyed Tijerina's Coyote home and extensive library, were part of the price tag for his activism. By 1995, Tijerina relocated to Michoacan, Mexico, where he continues to speak out on indigenous land issues and a variety of international issues.
516 items (5 boxes) : 516 photographic items, slides
Language of Materials
The items in the addition are comprised of photographs and negatives added to the collection in 2009. These items are arranged by subject and date.
Images available online
- Alianza Federal de las Mercedes
- Hispanic Americans -- Politics and government -- 20th century -- Pictorial works
- Land grants -- New Mexico -- Pictorial works
- Mexican Americans -- Land tenure -- New Mexico -- Pictorial works
- Political activists -- New Mexico -- Pictorial works
- Spanish Americans -- New Mexico -- Pictorial works
- Tierra Amarilla (N.M.) -- Pictorial works
- Tijerina, Reies
- Finding Aid of the Reies Tijerina Photograph Collection, 1944-2000
- Pictorial Collections Staff
- © 2007, 2009
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.
Part of the UNM Center for Southwest Research & Special Collections Repository
University of New Mexico Center for Southwest Research & Special Collections
University Libraries, MSC05 3020
1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque NM 87131