Roy Rosen Photograph Collection
Scope and Content
Rosen lived as a hobo from 1914-1921, riding the rails and keeping extensive journals. Those journals were later lost, but what remained in Rosen's memory, he translated into many short stories. Later in life he resumed the practice of keeping journals, particularly on his frequent travels.
He first became interested in photography in the 1920s when he was acquainted with Edward Weston in California. He did not begin a career in photography, however, before moving to New Mexico in 1948. A self-taught photographer, he was influenced by the work of Weston and Charles Sheeler. Rosen photographed New Mexico and wherever he traveled, including Europe, Mexico and all over the United States. The photographs, along with his journals and stories, make a complete record of Rosen's perceptions.
Rosen's photographic exhibitions included shows at the Museum of Fine Arts in Santa Fe, New Mexico; San Francisco Museum of Modern Art; University of Texas Art Museum, Austin; and the Colorado Photographic Art Center, Denver. His photographs have appeared in Camera, Luce e Immagini, New Mexico Architecture, University of Texas Quarterly, New Mexico Quarterly, and the Santa Fe Opera Program, among others. Southwest Review published a short story by Rosen, but the bulk of his writings, which he devoted the later part of his life to revising and editing, remain unpublished. Roy Rosen died in Santa Fe in 1986.
2040 plus items (16 boxes) : 2,037 photographic prints, 3 binders of slides
Language of Materials
Both copies of a portrait of Rosen by Margrethe Mather and a large print of Stonehenge by Paul Caponigro have been permanently transferred to the University Art Museum.
- Church buildings -- New Mexico -- Pictorial works
- Europe -- Pictorial works
- Guatemala -- Pictorial works
- Indian arts -- North America -- Pictorial works
- Indians of North America -- Pictorial works
- Latin America -- Pictorial works
- Mexico -- Pictorial works
- Pueblo Indians -- Pictorial works
- Pueblos -- New Mexico -- Pictorial works
- United States --- Pictorial works
- Finding Aid of the Roy Rosen Photograph Collection, 1923-1985
- Pictorial Collections Staff
- © 2007
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.
Part of the UNM Center for Southwest Research & Special Collections Repository
University of New Mexico Center for Southwest Research & Special Collections
University Libraries, MSC05 3020
1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque NM 87131