Basia Irland Papers
Scope and Content
Desert rainwater harvesting projects (at the University of New Mexico and Isleta Pueblo among other places) are recorded in the collection. Pollution (Calaveras River (CA), Point Hope (Ontario), Hudson River, (NY), parasites, salt, and other water related topics are covered in the collection, as is the “holiness" of water historically and internationally.
Photographs, printed materials, and video recordings comprise the bulk of the collection. Publications by Basia Irland have been catalogued into the CSWR book collection.
- Majority of material found within 1996-2004
Language of Materials
Irland works on projects with scholars from diverse backgrounds and with communities around the world. Projects include building rainwater harvesting systems and fostering dialogue between communities along the entire length of rivers (as in her A Gathering of Waters: Río Grande, Source to Sea project). She has filmed and produced water documentaries; sculpted hand-carved ice books embedded with native riparian seeds; and has created waterborne disease awareness projects around the world.
Irland’s publications include River Reciprocity (Salient Seedling Press, 1996), Water Library (University of New Mexico Press, 2007), and Reading the River: The Ecological Activist Art of Basia Irland (edited with Museum De Domijnen, 2017). Irland is a Fulbright Scholar. She writes a blog for National Geographic about international rivers. She lectures and exhibits extensively.
Source: Basia Irland website.
2 boxes (2 cu. ft.), plus an unprocessed addition of 2 boxes.
- A Gathering of Waters: Rio Grande, Source to Sea. (DVD) 2004
- Clandestine Calaveras. University of the Pacific, Stockton CA, (Audio CD and postcards) 2004
- River Reciprocity. Albuquerque, NM, Salient Seedling Press, 1996
- Water Cycle. Riverdale, Maryland: Pyramid Atlantic Press, and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: Borowsky Center for Publication Arts, The University of the Arts. Funded by the National Endowment for the Arts. 1996.
- A gathering of waters: Rio Grande, source to the sea
- Mural painting and decoration
- Rio Grande (Colo.-Mexico and Tex.) -- Environmental aspects
- Rivers -- Environmental aspects
- Slides (Photography)
- Water -- Pollution
- Water harvesting
- Water in art
- Water resources development -- Environmental aspects -- Rio Grande Valley (Colo.-Mexico and Tex.)
- Finding Aid of the Basia Irland Papers, 1975-2004
- B. Silbergleit
- © 2018
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.
Part of the UNM Center for Southwest Research & Special Collections Repository
University of New Mexico Center for Southwest Research & Special Collections
University Libraries, MSC05 3020
1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque NM 87131