Concha Ortiz y Pino de Kleven Photograph Collection
Scope and Content
Events include her induction into the New Mexico Women's Hall of Fame and ceremonies related to the restoration of the altarpiece in the Cathedral at Santa Fe. Some photos bear the stamp of the Coronado Cuarto Centennial in 1940 and depict events associated with that celebration
An interesting photo shows a trailer used during the Roosevelt/ Garner Presidential campaign which bears their portraits and the legend "Roosevelt Caravan." Other photos show Concha Ortiz y Pino de Kleven working on the family ranch, with Frank Baca, Victor Kleven, and scenes of Galisteo, N.M., including the church.
An addition to the collection was processed in April 2016.
In the thirties, during the depression, she began to revive New Mexican folklore, arts and crafts, to renew the interest in it as well as to give some artisans the possibility to earn some money. In 1937, Concha was elected to the New Mexico State Legislature where she stayed on until 1942. She was appointed to various House committees and in 1940 was the first woman to become the "Majority Whip" in a State Legislature. During her tenure in office, she was interested in bilingual education for children (which cost her bitter fights with the League of United Latin American Citizens [LULAC]) and in better relations to New Mexico's neighbors to the south.
Marriage to Victor Kleven in 1943 and defeat in her third attempt to become reelected did not slow down her social, political, and economic activities. Besides being involved in numerous social affairs and having served in many social and political associations, committees, and commissions, she ran the family ranch for several years in Agua Verde, until 1956 when her husband died and she returned to Albuquerque.
Back in Albuquerque, she became heavily involved in community work and ever since then has served on civic boards, committees, councils, and/or commissions. Mrs. Kleven has received many honors for her engagements in political and social affairs.
126 items (1 box) : 126 photographic prints
Language of Materials
- Adams, Ansel, 1902-1984
- Artists -- New Mexico -- Pictorial works
- Cathedrals -- New Mexico -- Santa Fe -- Pictorial works
- Chavez, Dennis, 1888-1962
- Galisteo (N.M.) -- Pictorial works
- Hispanic American women -- Pictorial works
- Montoya, Joseph Manuel, 1915-1978
- New Mexico. Coronado Cuarto Centennial Commission
- Pictorial works
- Politicians -- New Mexico -- Pictorial works
- Women political activists -- New Mexico -- Pictorial works
- Finding Aid of the Concha Ortiz y Pino de Kleven Photograph Collection, 1914-2004
- Processed by Pictorial Collections Staff
- © 2006, 2016
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.
Part of the UNM Center for Southwest Research & Special Collections Repository
University of New Mexico Center for Southwest Research & Special Collections
University Libraries, MSC05 3020
1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque NM 87131