Charles Ilfeld Company Records
Scope and Content
There is no Box 1 for this collection, nor are there box/item numbers 43-63.
- Charles Ilfeld Company (Organization)
Language of Materials
Ilfeld's business eventually grew into the largest mercantile firm in New Mexico, with sales of $25,000,000 at its peak in 1952. Max Nordhaus, Ilfeld's brother-in-law, joined the company in 1886. His expertise in finance led the company to expand, opening branch stores around the territory. Shifting focus from retail to wholesale distribution, the company closed most of its retail stores in 1907. The wholesale business capitalized on the railways to buy and sell goods. For instance, wool was purchased from New Mexico ranchers and sold in eastern markets, where manufactured goods were bought for distribution back in New Mexico. "Wholesalers of everything" became the company motto. Branches were established and warehouses built along railroad lines in Santa Rosa, Albuquerque, Magdalena, and Gallup. Nordhaus became company president in 1929 upon the death of Charles Ilfeld. The business operated until 1961, when increasing competition forced the decision to sell off assets. A new company was formed at that time dealing solely in hardware. In 1970 the Charles Ilfeld Hardware Company was liquidated, ending a century of Ilfeld merchandizing in New Mexico.
42 boxes (20.55 cu. ft.), plus 235 volumes, plus oversize folder
Relevant Secondary Sources
- Parish, William. The Charles Ilfeld Company; a Study of the Rise and Decline of Mercantile Capitalism in New Mexico. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1961.
- Finding Aid of the Charles Ilfeld Company Records, 1865-1929
- Processed by K. Ferris
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- June 28, 2004: PUBLIC "-//University of New Mexico::Center for Southwest Research//TEXT (US::NmU::MSS 91 BC::Charles Ilfeld Company Records)//EN" "nmu1mss91bc.sgml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.
Part of the UNM Center for Southwest Research & Special Collections Repository
University of New Mexico Center for Southwest Research & Special Collections
University Libraries, MSC05 3020
1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque NM 87131