Skip to main content

Socorro Mining and Milling Company Correspondence and Documents

Identifier: MSS-24-BC

Scope and Content

The collection consists mostly of correspondence and business letters about the day to day operations of the mines owned and operated by the Mogollon Gold and Copper Co., 1905-1915, which was purchased by the the Socorro Mining and Milling Company (earlier called the Socorro Mines Company), 1915-1948 . The correspondence concerns payroll, supplies, road repairs, telephone and radio installations, oil and petroleum requirements, personnel applications, compensation for death or injury on the job. A large amount of correspondence deals with building a proposed tramway, stock reports, mine development, reports on production, equipment and repairs, directors meetings, employee housing, problems with dumped tailings, law suits, claims, and land sales. Some letters contain remarks about World War I and the influenza epidemic and its effect on mining operations and financial conditions. The collection also contains several issues of the magazine Mogollon Mines.

Previously, this collection was known as the Blumenthal collection of New Mexicana.


  • 1905-1948

Language of Materials


Access Restrictions

The collection is open for research.

Copy Restrictions

Limited duplication is allowed for research purposes. User is responsible for compliance with all copyright, privacy and libel laws. Permission is required for publication or distribution.


Mining operations in the Mogollon and Cooney Districts began as early as 1889 when mines were developed in Silver Creek Canyon and other nearby areas and became bonanzas. Successful mining created such towns as Cooney, Mogollon and Alma in the rugged Mogollon Mountains of what was then the western most portion of Socorro County in southwest New Mexico. The mines of Cooney, Maud S., Deep Down, Peacock, Little Charlie, Independence, Johnson and Fluoride (Silver Bar Mine) were initially owned by the Mogollon Gold and Copper Company. In 1915 the Socorro Mining and Milling Company bought out the Mogollon Gold and Copper Company and worked these mines until the 1950s. The company acquired the America Silver Corporation in 1920 and expanded its ownership to include mines like the Little Fannie, Champion, Consolidated, Clifton and Pacific. The Socorro Mining and Milling Company was based in the town of Mogollon, N.M. with its headquarters in New York City, New York. These mining operations produced 40% of New Mexico's precious metals by 1913. The Silver City and Mogollon stage lines provided daily service hauling passengers and freight, gold and silver bullion 80 miles between towns in 14 and a half hours. By 1915 the town of Mogollon had electricity, water, telephone facilities, schools, churches and numerous saloons and owed much of the towns infrastructure to the necessities required to operate the mines owned by the Socorro Mining and Milling Company.

During World War I the demand for gold dropped and many of the Company mines shut down. Population in the area dropped and so did manpower for mining operations. The influenza epidemic hit the area in November 1918 affecting workers and the company manager which slowed down operations. Revitalization began again in 1934 when the price of gold rose but was cut back again during World War II.. By 1950 the only mine owned by the company still in operation was the Little Fannie.


2 boxes (2.35 cu. ft.)


The collection consists of documents and general correspondence pertaining to the Socorro Mining and Milling Co. in the Mogollon Mining District of southwestern New Mexico.

Related Material

Albuquerque and Cerrillos Coal Company Records Center for Southwest Research, University Libraries, University of New Mexico

Processing Information

In April 2010, the single box of this collection was divided into 2 boxes. Consequently, there is now Box 1a and Box 1b.
Finding Aid of the Socorro Mining and Milling Company Correspondence and Documents, 1905-1948
Processed by Illene Renfro
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Language of description note
Finding aid is in English

Revision Statements

  • June 28, 2004: PUBLIC "-//University of New Mexico::Center for Southwest Research//TEXT (US::NmU::MSS 24 BC::Socorro Mining and Milling Company Correspondence and Documents)//EN" "nmu1mss24bc.sgml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
  • Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.

Repository Details

Part of the UNM Center for Southwest Research & Special Collections Repository

University of New Mexico Center for Southwest Research & Special Collections
University Libraries, MSC05 3020
1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque NM 87131