Harold D. Walter Collection, 1936 - 1958
File — Box: 2
Scope and Contents
- Folder 1. 11x14" b and w silver gelatin prints, unlabeled, in plastic sheets. Harold and Mae Walter's wedding picture. Native American sand painter; New Mexico Mountain landscapes, many also in Box 1;
- Folder 2. Maps of New Mexico mountain areas.
- Scrap Book. 8x10 b and w silver gelatin prints, all taken during the January, 1940 recreation of the Coronado Expedition for the Coronado Cuarto Centennial, 1540-1940. Photos are captioned. Photos have been scanned and put online. Map showing Route Taken by Coronado Expedition, January, 1940. Eve of departure in front of Governor's Mansion: Harlod Walter, Mrs. Miles, Governor Miles, Dr. Neasham, Ward Yeager, George Fitzpatrick. Unm President Zimmerman poses with party at the University of New Mexico on morning of departure (Dean George P. Hammond on Left). The giant Saguaro cactus near Tucson. Entire party poses for Associated Press photographer at Nogales, Mexico. Dean Hammond, Dr. Ewing, Dr. Herbert E. Bolton, Ward Yeager, Dr. Neasham, Harold Walter. Mexican Wood Haulers. Main highway through forests of the giant cactus. Harbor and City of Guaymas, Mexico Old church at Guasabe which is noted for its Virgin of Guasabe. Crossing the Sinoloa river on a ferry (pango) at Guasabe. Typical native woman in front of thatched home. Sourth of Pericos there were many beautiful parrots. Native water haulers on the main street of Pericos. The primitive method of making rope from the fiber of the maguay plant. Blue tile church at Culiacan. Crossing the San Lorenzo river at Quila. Two span of oxen help us across the San Lorenzo river. Juan doesn't need help--he has his burros. Hauling sugar cane near Mazatlan. Typical Native huts built of bamboo poles and covered with various kinds of straw near Rosario. Higuar and plam trees near Rosa Morada. Mexican road worker and family south of Mazatlan. Dr. Bolton visits with people on pilgrimage to Talpa. The expedition at hotel plaza in Compostela. Queen of the Compostela fiesta. The Plaza at Compostela. Church at Compostela. Dr. Bolton records days events at Compostela. Looking north toward Tepic from Compostela. Mountain Range north of Compostela. Crossing the Santiago River. Siesta time at Sentispac. Street scene, Sentispac Main highway through the jungle (Monte) near Tuxpan. Deep mud north of Acaponeta. Stuck for an hour. Old convent at Mesillias. Banana Plantation near San Blas. Homeward bound (street scene at Fuerte). Camp Coronado north of Fuerte. Old Spanish buildings at Alamos. Old Spanis buildings at Alamos. Little village of Rebeico north of Soyopa. The Yaqui river at Soypa. Dr. Bolton poses for a picture. Interior of church at Arispe. Includes the article "Cultural Cooperation with Latin America" by Herbert E. Bolton, Jouranl of the National Education Association, January, 1940.
- Scrap Book "Scraps". Brochures of Camera Clubs and Photo association exhibits showing Walter photographs. Snap shots of Walter and friends traveling. Native Americans, Mesa Verde, Petrified forest. Tear sheets of New Mexico magazine articles with Walter' photographs, including Santa Fe Fiesta, Mountain landscapes, fishing. Walter's draft registration and Induction telegram
- Book "Abiding Memories." Memorial Book from Walter's funeral, November 12, 1958. Newspaper article about his death; baby picture of Walter; condolence cards; signatures of attendees at funeral, Scottish Rite Membership Certificate; correspondence
- Three small boxes of 35mm color slides, unlabeled and not dated, in cardboard mounts. Travel snapshots, wedding, landscapes, automobiles.
- Three black cardboard folding negative holders with glassine negative sleeves. A few 2.25 x 3.25" black and white negatives remain, most have been removed. Front pages document locations. Most appear to correspond to black and white prints in Box 1, many of which have Photo Archive negative numbers.
- Manilla envelope containing about 20 black and white negatives,2.25 x 3.25" and 4x5" and 5x7". subjects include Wheeler Peak, Lake Williams, Elk Painting, Frazier Mountain, and Statues of Washington, D.C.
- Manilla envelope containing correspondence, photocopies of photos with notes and negative numbers on reverse, Landscapes.
- Manilla envelope containing Harold D. Walter High School Diploma, Aspen Colorado High School, 1920.
- Manilla envelope containing hand-drawn map of the Upper Red River Country, with notes on elevations of peaks, hike distances and elevations.
- Open-ended manilla folder with correspondence, notes, magazine articles.
- 1936 - 1958
Language of Materials
From the Collection: English
Researchers may examine original material under supervised conditions in the Reading Room upon approval of request.
From the Collection: 2 Linear Feet
Part of the NMHM Palace of the Governors Photo Archives Repository
113 Lincoln Ave.
Santa Fe NM 87501 USA
113 Lincoln Ave.
Santa Fe NM 87501 USA