Chaves County Archaeological and Historical Society records
Roswell, New Mexico association. Collection contains photocopied correspondence documenting the society’s efforts to restores El Torreon, the first house to be erected in Las Placitas (now Lincoln), New Mexico. The house played an important role in the Lincoln County war. The Committee on the Restoration of El Torreon, chaired by Amelia Church, worked with the Federal Emergency Relief Administration, the State of New Mexico, and the Southern Pacific Railway Company to obtain custody of the site and restore it. On February 24, 1935, the restoration project was completed.
- 1934 - 1936
Conditions Governing Access
Open. All materials in this collection are available for research under supervised conditions in the Research Room.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyrights associated with materials in this collection have not been transferred to New Mexico State University.
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
A76-10 Copied from the restoration file of the Chaves County Historical Society in Jan. 1976
- Guide to the Chaves County Archaeological And Historical Society records
- In Progress
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note