Branigan Memorial Library papers
Scope and Content
The Thomas Branigan Memorial Library papers span the years 1847-1991. The materials have been divided into six series: Meeting-related information, scattered issues of newspapers, scrapbooks, scattered issues of magazines, miscellaneous, and topographic maps. Meeting-related information includes library board meeting minutes, Thomas Branigan Memorial Library bookmobile and attendance statistics, pertaining correspondence, budget information, news clippings and other information relating to Thomas Branigan Memorial Library. Newspapers include individual issues of both out of state and local newspapers from 1847 to 1980 arranged by newspaper and chronologically. Scrapbooks include numerous scrapbooks from local clubs such as Business and Professional Women’s club and the Mental Health Association of Dona Ana. Magazines include individual issues of Children’s Magazine, Contemporary Verse, Detective Fiction Weekly, The Munsey and Peterson’s Ladies, arranged by magazine and chronologically. Miscellaneous includes recipe cards, a pitcher, a buckskin bag and random publications. The final series Topographical maps includes a location map of Union County, Goering’s Atlas and other topographical maps of Las Cruces and the surrounding area.
- ca. 1792-1991
- Majority of material found in Placeholder Unit Date Text
Language of Materials
Open. All materials in this collection are available for research under supervised conditions in the Research Room.
Copyrights associated with materials in this collection have not been transferred to New Mexico State University.
Biography / History
The first public library in Las Cruces was founded in 1927 when the Women’s Improvement Association’s (WIA) Club House was built and became the permanent home for all the books the WIA had acquired. When WIA member and library supporter Alice Branigan died in 1932, she bequeathed her estate to a number of local organizations, such as the WIA and her church. The Thomas Branigan Memorial Library was the result of a bequest by Alice Branigan, whose will provided $35,000 for the construction of a library building and an additional $10,000 for purchase of books for a library to be named in honor of Thomas Branigan, Alice’s late husband. Thomas Branigan Memorial Library opened its doors to the public in November of 1935. The library occupied that building until 1979 when it relocated to a new, larger and more modern structure at the intersection of Main and Picacho streets, retaining the same name. The Library is currently part of the Community and Cultural Services Department of the City of Las Cruces. Source:http://www.lascruces.org/Departments/Public%20Services/Services/Branigan%20Library/Library%20Information/Library%20History.aspx
13 Linear Feet
Alice Branigan left Las Cruces funds to establish a public library in the name of her husband, Captain Thomas Branigan. This collection includes administrative information related to the Library’s history but primarily consists of scatter issues of newspapers and magazines, scrapbooks, topographic maps and miscellaneous items from the library.
Processed by Linday Selters, reviewed by Jennifer Chavez and Larry Creider, November 2012.
- Guide to the Branigan Memorial Library papers, ca. 1792-1991
- Edited Full Draft
- Linday Selters
- © 2012
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.