New Mexico Supreme Court Law Library State Agency Collection,
Scope and Content
The collection is arranged alphabetically by state agency name. Some agencies have been cross-referenced if name changes have occurred. The collection consists of biennial reports, annual reports, laws, orders, rules, regulations, policies, procedures, publications, minutes, financial records, clippings, maps, catalogs, bulletins, pamphlets, newsletters, training guides, governors' messages and inaugurations, directories, memorandums, and correspondence issued by New Mexico State agencies (1879-1977). The material is in a variety of formats, e.g., books, pamphlets, loose documents, bound volumes, etc. The bulk of the collection consists of annual and biennial reports for individual state agencies, including the Adjutant General, Board of Control, State Corporation Commission, Department of Education, Governor's Office, State Highway Department, Historical Society of New Mexico, Bureau of Immigration, Public Health Department, and Public Welfare Department. Also included are records for Colleges, Universities, and Schools, including New Mexico State University (College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts), New Mexico Highlands University (New Mexico Normal School or New Mexico Normal University), Northern New Mexico Community College (Spanish-American Normal School or Northern New Mexico Normal School), the University of New Mexico, and the Institute of Mining and Technology (School of Mines). Publications include The New Mexico Blue Book (1882-1968 with some gaps) issued by the Secretary of State,The Enchanted News (1957-1969) issued by the Penitentiary of New Mexico, The Land of Sunshine (1906),New Mexico (1890 and 1894), and New Mexico Illustrated (1882-1883) all issued by the Bureau of Immigration. The Land of Sunshine and New Mexico include maps of New Mexico that have been removed and placed in map drawers. Other maps in the collection include a game refuge map issued by the Game and Fish Department, quadrangle maps and road maps issued by the State Highway Department, and reconnaissance and geologic maps issued by the Institute of Mining and Technology.
Some materials are in Spanish.
Some materials are in Spanish.
- 1875-1979 (bulk 1912-1969)
Language of Materials
English, and Spanish.
Limited duplication allowed for research purposes. User is responsible for all copyright compliance.
The New Mexico Supreme Court Law Library was first referred to in an act of the First Legislative assembly in 1851. An appropriation of $1,000 was provided to be spent "for necessary repairs upon the palace building and fitting up rooms in the same for the use of the Secretary of the Territory, a public library, and the safekeeping of the archives. In 1853, the territorial legislature passed an act for the preservation and regulation of the Territorial Library, providing for a Library Board of Trustees, the appointment of a librarian, and for promulgation of rules and regulations for the conduct of the library (Laws of 1852-53 pp. 83-85.) In 1915 the legislature passed an act creating a board of trustees consisting of the Chief Justice and Justices of the Supreme Court of the State of New Mexico who shall have the management, control and supervision of the State Library (Chapter 47, Section 1). In 1931, the legislature (by Chapter 154) required the librarian of the State Law Library to file, index, and preserve two copies of every printed document of the state government and also to deliver a copy to the Museum of New Mexico library whenever available. The Library's role as depository ended in 1967 when the legislature (by Chapter 275) appointed the State Records Center and Archives as the official depository for rules, regulations, and publications and repealed the 1931 laws. Although its role as a depository officially ended in 1967, the library decided to include documents filed through 1979 in this collection. This was to ensure that items sent to the Library instead the State Records Center and Archives during the initial changeover would not be lost. However, the collection does not represent all the documents filed with the Law Library since its beginning.
82 linear feet + 3 v.
- New Mexico State Records Center and Archives
- Archives and Historical Services Division
- 1205 Camino Carlos Rey
- Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505
- Phone: 505-476-7908
- Fax: 505-476-7909
- Email: email@example.com
- URL: http://www.state.nm.us/cpr/ahsd_top.htm
- Inventory of the New Mexico Supreme Court Law Library State Agency Collection, 1875-1979 (bulk 1912-1969)
- Edited Full Draft
- Processed by Staff
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- June 28, 2004: PUBLIC "-//New Mexico State Records Center and Archives//TEXT (US::Nm-Ar::1998-027::New Mexico Supreme Court Law Library State Agency Collection)//EN" "nmar1998-027.sgml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.