New Mexico State Board of Thanatopractice Records,
Scope and Content
As of 1999 the collection consists of the records of the State Board of Thanatopractice and its predecessors (1903-1980). Applications include material submitted to the Territorial Board of Health (1903-1904). Dockets pertain to licensing cases heard before the Board. Miscellaneous papers include correspondence.
Language of Materials
Limited duplication allowed for research purposes. User is responsible for all copyright compliance.
The Territorial Board of Health reviewed and received all applications for thanatopractice licenses before the establishment of the Teritorial Board of Embalmers in 1909 (1909 NM Laws, Chp. 72, Sec. 1). In 1947 the Board was abolished and its duties were transferred to the newly created State Board of Embalmers and Funeral Directors (1947 NM Laws, Chp. 71, Sec. 1-34). The State Board of Embalmers and Funeral Directors was abolished in 1978 and its duties were transferred to the newly created State Board of Thanatopractice (1978 NM Laws, Chp. 185, Sec. 1-25). The State Board of Thanatopractice is subject to the Sunset Act which established a periodic review and evaluation of the need and continued existence of certain state agencies, boards, and commissions by the Legislature (1981 NM Laws, Chp. 241, Sec. 34; 1987 NM Laws, Chp. 333, Sec. 13; 1993 NM Laws, Chp. 197, Sec. 10 and Chp. 204, Se.33). In 1985 the Board was administratively attached to the Regulation and Licensing Dept. (85-34). The function of the Board is to administer and regulate the licensing of thanatopractitioners in New Mexico.
6 Linear Feet
Collection consists of five series:
- I. Applications
- II. Dockets
- III. Pre-need insurance
- IV. Miscellaneous
- V. Business papers
- New Mexico State Records Center and Archives
- Archives and Historical Services Division
- 1205 Camino Carlos Rey
- Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505
- Phone: 505-476-7908
- Fax: 505-476-7909
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- URL: http://www.state.nm.us/cpr/ahsd_top.htm
- Administrative agencies -- New Mexico
- Financial records
- Minutes (Records)
- New Mexico -- History -- 1848-
- New Mexico -- Officials and employees
- New Mexico -- Politics and government -- 1848-1950
- New Mexico -- Politics and government -- 1951-
- State government records
- Territorial records
- Undertakers and undertaking -- Law and legislation -- New Mexico
- Undertakers and undertaking -- Licenses -- New Mexico
- Inventory of the New Mexico State Board of Thanatopractice Records, 1903-[ongoing]
- Edited Full Draft
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- June 28, 2004: PUBLIC "-//New Mexico State Records Center and Archives//TEXT (US::Nm-Ar::1983-144::New Mexico State Board of Thanatopractice Records)//EN" "nmar1983-144.sgml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.