Paul J. Bernal Collection,
Scope and Content
Collection consists of materials, mostly legal and legislative documents, relating to the restoration of Blue Lake to the Taos Pueblo Indians of northern New Mexico by the U.S. Government in 1970. Includes a substantial amount of correspondence between the Taos Pueblo's supporters and various federal government agencies and officials. Correspondents include representatives of the American Association on Indian Affairs such as President Oliver La Farge, General Council Richard Schifter, and Corrine Locker; as well as New Mexico attorneys Rufus G.and Robert C. Poole; and U.S. Senators Clinton P. Anderson of New Mexico and James A. Haley of Florida.
- 1903-1976 (bulk 1960-1970)
Language of Materials
Limited duplication allowed for research purposes. User is responsible for all copyright compliance.
Paul J. Bernal served as the Taos Pueblo Council Secretary and Interpreter.
6.5 Linear Feet
Collection organized into six series:
- I. Association on American Indian Affairs;
- II. Background material;
- III. Organizations, committees and departments;
- IV. Legal files;
- V. Legislation;
- VI. Miscellaneous;
- New Mexico State Records Center and Archives
- Archives and Historical Services Division
- 1205 Camino Carlos Rey
- Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505
- Phone: 505-476-7908
- Fax: 505-476-7909
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- URL: http://www.state.nm.us/cpr/ahsd_top.htm
- Inventory of the Paul J. Bernal Collection, 1903-1976 (bulk 1960-1970)
- Edited Full Draft
- Processed by Staff
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- June 28, 2004: PUBLIC "-//New Mexico State Records Center and Archives//TEXT (US::Nm-Ar::1983-049::Paul J. Bernal Collection)//EN" "nmar1983-049.sgml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.