United States Territorial and New Mexico Supreme Court Records,
Scope and Content
Collection consists of the records of the United States Territorial Supreme Court for New Mexico (1846-1912) and the records of the New Mexico State Supreme Court (1912-1978). The bulk of the material consists of case files from the New Mexico territorial period (1846-1912). Also included are court records (1863-1978), and administrative reports (1959- 1978). Case files contained in the collection are cases 1-1483 (1846-1912). Some of the later cases are not part of this collection. Also included is a report for case #2428 dated 1919. Court records consist of district court rules, orders, petitions, and court calendars (dockets).
- 1846-1978 (bulk 1846-1912)
Language of Materials
English, and Spanish.
Limited duplication allowed for research purposes. User is responsible for all copyright compliance.
The United States Territorial Supreme Court of New Mexico was established by the Kearny Code of Laws in 1846. Judges were federally appointed until statehood in 1912. Upon statehood the United States Territorial Supreme Court of New Mexico became the New Mexico Supreme Court and its judges became elected state officials. The Supreme Court has general appellate jurisdiction, is the final authority on questions of law, makes rules and forms of procedure for itself and all inferior courts, and exercises supervisory control over all other courts.
93.5 Linear Feet
Most statehood material remains with the Supreme Court Clerk.
- New Mexico State Records Center and Archives
- Archives and Historical Services Division
- 1205 Camino Carlos Rey
- Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505
- Phone: 505-476-7908
- Fax: 505-476-7909
- Email: email@example.com
- URL: http://www.state.nm.us/cpr/ahsd_top.htm
- Annual reports
- Civil procedure -- New Mexico
- Criminal procedure -- New Mexico
- Judicial records
- Legal files
- New Mexico -- History
- New Mexico -- Politics and government -- 1848-1950
- New Mexico -- Politics and government -- 1951-
- State government records
- Territorial records
- Trial and arbitral proceedings
- Inventory of the United States Territorial and New Mexico Supreme Court Records, 1846-1978 (bulk 1846-1912)
- Edited Full Draft
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- June 28, 2004: PUBLIC "-//New Mexico State Records Center and Archives//TEXT (US::Nm-Ar::1982-135::United States Territorial and New Mexico Supreme Court Records)//EN" "nmar1982-135.sgml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.