Spanish Colonial Arts Society Records,
Scope and Content
Collection consists of the administrative records, correspondence, and financial records of the Spanish Colonial Arts Society and its store, the Spanish Arts (Santa Fe, NM). The bulk of the records pertain to the first twenty years of the Societys existence, 1929-1949. Included are incorporation papers for both the Society for the Preservation of Spanish Antiquities in New Mexico (1913), and the Spanish Colonial Arts Society (1929). Also within the collection are the Spanish Arts store correspondence with various northern New Mexico artists including Jose D. Lopez, member lists, minutes, ledgers, and a Santa Fe Fiesta ledger listing craftspeople, exhibits, and prizes (1930, 1931). Other correspondence discusses the death of Frank Applegate (1931), and the Applegate-Austin book manuscript on Spanish colonial art and its accompanying Ansel Adams photographs (1937, 1965). Some materials are in Spanish.
Language of Materials
English, and Spanish.
Limited duplication allowed for research purposes. User responsible for all copyright compliance.
The Society for the Preservation of Spanish Antiquities in New Mexico was incorporated in 1913 and was reorganized into the Spanish Colonial Arts Society in 1929. Among its officers were Mary Austin as director and Frank Applegate as head of Arts and Crafts. The Society is located in Santa Fe and its mission is the preservation, study, and promotion of Spanish Colonial arts and crafts.
1 linear foot
Collection is organized into three series:
- I. Administrative Records.
- II. Correspondence.
- III. Financial Records
- New Mexico State Records Center and Archives
- Archives and Historical Services Division
- 1205 Camino Carlos Rey
- Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505
- Phone: 505-476-7908
- Fax: 505-476-7909
- Email: email@example.com
- URL: http://www.state.nm.us/cpr/ahsd_top.htm
- Inventory of the Spanish Colonial Arts Society Records, 1913-1965
- Edited Full Draft
- Processed by Shan Sutton
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- June 28, 2004: PUBLIC "-//New Mexico State Records Center and Archives//TEXT (US::Nm-Ar::1982-031::Spanish Colonial Arts Society Records)//EN" "nmar1982-031.sgml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.