Records of the United States Territorial and New Mexico District Courts for Sierra County,
Scope and Content
The collection consists of the territorial and New Mexico District Court records for Sierra County, New Mexico (1884-1926). The bulk of the material covers the years 1884-1914. Included are record books (1884-1914), case files (1884-1926), and other court material. Record books include various dockets (1888-1910) and court proceedings record books (1884-1914). Dockets include criminal (1888-1893), civil (1893-1910), and judges civil (1908-1909) volumes. Court proceedings record books include three volumes from the Chancery Court (1884-1898). Other record books consist of a criminal register and cost book (1884-1912), a civil register and cost book (1884-1893), and an undated index to a criminal docket. Case files consist of criminal cases 1-1129, 3569 (1884-1911) and civil cases 1-1528, 1747Â½ (1884-1926). Large gaps may exist between case files. Many criminal and civil cases are unnumbered. Many of the criminal cases after 1907 are not part of this collection. Other court material includes an attorney roll book for the 2nd Judicial District (1874-1899), jury records, cost and expense records, and bar admissions.
- 1884-1926 (bulk 1884-1914)
Language of Materials
Limited duplication allowed for research purposes. User is responsible for all copyright compliance.
Sierra County, New Mexico was established in 1884 and formed part of the 2nd Judicial District of the United States Territorial Courts in New Mexico. In subsequent years Sierra County was transferred from the 2nd to the 3rd Judicial District (1889) and from the 3rd to the 7th Judicial District (1909). Upon statehood in 1912, the Territorial Courts became the New Mexico District Courts.
22 linear feet + 15 v.
The collection is organized into six series:
- I. Docket Books
- II. Record Books (Journals)
- III. Registers and Cost Books
- IV. Miscellaneous Books
- V. Criminal Case Files
- VI. Civil Case Files
- New Mexico State Records Center and Archives
- Archives and Historical Services Division
- 1205 Camino Carlos Rey
- Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505
- Phone: 505-476-7908
- Fax: 505-476-7909
- Email: email@example.com
- URL: http://www.state.nm.us/cpr/ahsd_top.htm
- Civil procedure -- New Mexico -- Sierra County
- Criminal procedure -- New Mexico -- Sierra County
- District Court records, Sierra County
- Equity pleading and procedure -- New Mexico -- Sierra County
- Judicial records
- Jury -- New Mexico -- Sierra County
- Lawyers --New Mexico--Sierra County
- Legal files
- Sierra County (N.M.) -- History
- Sierra County (N.M.) -- Politics and government -- 1848-1950
- State government records
- Territorial records
- Trial and arbitral proceedings
- Inventory of the Records of the United States Territorial and New Mexico District Courts for Sierra County, 1884-1926 (bulk 1884-1914)
- Edited Full Draft
- Processed by Staff
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- June 28, 2004: PUBLIC "-//New Mexico State Records Center and Archives//TEXT (US::Nm-Ar::1979-025::Records of the United States Territorial and New Mexico District Courts for Sierra County)//EN" "nmar1979-025.sgml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.