Records of the United States Territorial and New Mexico District Courts for Otero County,
Scope and Content
Collection consists of the territorial and New Mexico district court records for Otero County, New Mexico (1899-1951). Included are record books (1899-1911), case files (1899-1951), and other court material. Record books consist of various dockets (1899-1912) and court proceedings record books (1899-1910). Dockets include criminal (1899-1912), civil (1899-1911), and judges criminal (1904) volumes. Court proceedings record books include criminal (1904-1906) and civil (1904-1908) hearings. Case files include criminal cases 1-756, 954 (1899-1915) and civil cases 1-5039 (1899-1951). Large gaps may exist between case files. Many criminal and civil case files are unnumbered. Most cases after 1911 are not part of this collection. Other court material consists of jury and court records.
- 1899-1951, (bulk 1899-1915)
Language of Materials
Limited duplication allowed for research purposes. User is responsible for all copyright compliance.
Otero County, New Mexico was established in 1899 and formed part of the 3rd Judicial District of the United States Territorial Courts in New Mexico. In subsequent years Otero County was transferred from the 3rd to the 6th Judicial District (1904) and from the 6th to the 12th Judicial District (1971). Upon statehood in 1912, the Territorial Courts became the New Mexico District Courts.
10.5 linear feet + 8 v.
Collection is organized into five series:
- I. Docket Books
- II. Record Books (Journals)
- III. Miscellaneous Records
- IV. Criminal Case Files
- V. Civil Case Files
- New Mexico State Records Center and Archives
- Archives and Historical Services Division
- 1205 Camino Carlos Rey
- Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505
- Phone: 505-476-7908
- Fax: 505-476-7909
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- URL: http://www.state.nm.us/cpr/ahsd_top.htm
- Civil procedure -- New Mexico -- Otero County
- Criminal procedure -- New Mexico -- Otero County
- District Court records, Otero County
- Judicial records
- Jury -- New Mexico -- Otero County
- Legal files
- Otero County (N.M.) -- History
- Otero County (N.M.) -- Politics and government -- 1848-1950
- State government records
- Territorial records
- Trial and arbitral proceedings
- Inventory of the Records of the United States Territorial and New Mexico District Courts for Otero County, 1899-1951, (bulk 1899-1915)
- Edited Full Draft
- Processed by Staff
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- June 28, 2004: PUBLIC "-//New Mexico State Records Center and Archives//TEXT (US::Nm-Ar::1979-022::Records of the United States Territorial and New Mexico District Courts for Otero County)//EN" "nmar1979-022.sgml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.