Records of the United States Territorial and New Mexico District Courts for Colfax County,
Scope and Content
Collection consists of the territorial and New Mexico district court records for Colfax County, New Mexico (1869-1935). The bulk of the material covers the years, 1869-1913. Included are record books (1869-1911), case files (1869-1935), and other court material. Record books consist of various dockets (1869-1911), court proceedings record books (1869-1911), jury lists (1909-1922), and an undated index. Dockets include criminal (1869-1908), civil (1869-1911), and judges (1875-1891) volumes. Court proceedings record books cover criminal (1902-1907), civil (1888-1911), and civil and criminal (1869-1888) hearings. Case files include criminal cases 3-3533 (1869-1920) and civil cases 5-8529 (1869-1935). Large gaps may exist between case files. Many criminal and civil case files may be unnumbered. Most of the civil cases after 1913 are not part of this collection. Other court material consists of jury records, oaths, bonds, and court records. Additional material for Colfax County can be found in the records for San Miguel County District Court.
- 1869-1935 (bulk 1869-1913)
Language of Materials
English, and Spanish.
Outsized record books are extremely fragile. Use microfilm only.
Limited duplication allowed for research purposes. User is responsible for all copyright compliance.
Colfax County, New Mexico was established in 1869 and formed part of the 1st Judicial District of the United States Territorial Courts in New Mexico. In subsequent years Colfax County was transferred from the 1st to the 4th Judicial District (1887) and from the 4th to the 8th Judicial District (1912). Upon statehood in 1912, the Territorial Courts became the New Mexico District Courts.
Some material in Spanish.
Some material in Spanish.
33 linear feet + 36 v. + 45 rolls
Collection is organized into six series:
- I. Docket Books
- II. Record Books (Journals)
- III. Jury Lists
- IV. Miscellaneous Records
- V. Criminal Case Files
- VI. Civil Case Files
- New Mexico State Records Center and Archives
- Archives and Historical Services Division
- 1205 Camino Carlos Rey
- Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505
- Phone: 505-476-7908
- Fax: 505-476-7909
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- URL: http://www.state.nm.us/cpr/ahsd_top.htm
- Bonds (legal records)
- Civil procedure -- New Mexico -- Colfax County
- Colfax County (N.M.) -- History
- Colfax County (N.M.) -- Politics -- 1848-1950
- Criminal procedure -- New Mexico -- Colfax County
- District Court records, Colfax County
- Judicial records
- Jury -- New Mexico -- Colfax County
- Legal files
- Naturalization -- New Mexico -- Colfax County
- Naturalization records
- State government records
- Territorial records
- Trial and arbitral proceedings
- Inventory of the Records of the United States Territorial and New Mexico District Courts for Colfax County, 1869-1935 (bulk 1869-1913)
- Edited Full Draft
- Processed by Staff
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- June 28, 2004: PUBLIC "-//New Mexico State Records Center and Archives//TEXT (US::Nm-Ar::1979-016::Records of the United States Territorial and New Mexico District Courts for Colfax County)//EN" "nmar1979-016.sgml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.