Records of the United States Territorial and New Mexico District Courts for San Juan County,
Scope and Content
Collection consists of the territorial and New Mexico district court records for San Juan County, New Mexico (1887-1954). The bulk of the material covers the years 1887-1914. Included are record books (1887-1926), case files (1887-1954), and other court material. Record books consist of various dockets (1887-1926) and court proceedings record books (1887-1913). Dockets include criminal (1887-1909), civil (1887-1913), judges (1888-1907, 1912-1914, 1926), and judgement (1887-1909) volumes. Judges dockets cover civil trials (1888-1926). Case files consist of criminal cases 104-1156 (1897-1954) and civil cases 1-1541 (1887-1924). Large gaps may exist between case files. Many criminal and civil case files are unnumbered. Most of the cases after 1913 are not part of this collection. Other court material includes a letterpress copybook for the 1st Judicial District, jury records, bar admissions, and miscellaneous court order and records.
Some material in Spanish
Some material in Spanish
- 1887-1954 (bulk 1887-1914)
Language of Materials
English, and Spanish.
Outsized record books are extremely fragile. Use microfilm only.
Limited duplication allowed for research purposes. User is responsible for all copyright compliance.
San Juan County, New Mexico was established in 1887 and formed part of the 1st Judicial District of the United States Territorial Courts in New Mexico. Upon statehood in 1912 the Territorial Courts became the New Mexico District Courts. In 1961, San Juan County was transferred from the 1st to the 11th Judicial District.
11 linear feet + 13 v. + 1 roll
The collection is organized into five series:
- I. Docket Books
- II. Record Books (Journals)
- III. Miscellaneous Records
- IV. Criminal Case Files
- V. Civil Case Files
Photographs received with the collection are located in the "New Mexico First Judicial District for San Juan County Photograph Collection" (Accession Number 0073).
- New Mexico State Records Center and Archives
- Archives and Historical Services Division
- 1205 Camino Carlos Rey
- Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505
- Phone: 505-476-7908
- Fax: 505-476-7909
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- URL: http://www.state.nm.us/cpr/ahsd_top.htm
- Civil procedure -- New Mexico -- San Juan County
- Criminal procedure -- New Mexico -- San Juan County
- District Court records, San Juan County
- Judicial records
- Jury -- New Mexico -- San Juan County
- Lawyers -- New Mexico -- San Juan County
- Legal files
- San Juan County (N.M.) -- History
- San Juan County (N.M.) -- Politics and government -- 1848-1950
- San Juan County (N.M.) -- Politics and government -- 1951-
- State government records
- Territorial records
- Trial and arbitral proceedings
- Inventory of the Records of the United States Territorial and New Mexico District Courts for San Juan County, 1887-1954 (bulk 1887-1914)
- Edited Full Draft
- Processed by Staff
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- June 28, 2004: PUBLIC "-//New Mexico State Records Center and Archives//TEXT (US::Nm-Ar::1976-039::Records of the United States Territorial and New Mexico District Courts for San Juan County)//EN" "nmar1976-039.sgml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.