Records of the United States Territorial and New Mexico District Courts for Socorro County,
Scope and Content
The collection consists of the Territorial and New Mexico District Court records for Socorro County, New Mexico (1851-1933). The bulk of material covers the years 1851-1919. Included are record books (1851-1919), case files (1852-1933), some naturalization records, and other court material. Record books consist of various dockets (1851-1911), court proceedings record books (1851-1912), an assignment record book (1895-1898), a roll of attorneys book (1883-1900), a remittance register (1917-1919), fee cost books (1853-1854, 1861-1862, 1875-1878), and a clerk's cash book (1909-1917). Dockets include criminal (1867-1898), civil (1882-1912), judges' (1888-1911), and minutes and motions (1851-1854) volumes. Judges' dockets cover criminal (1888-1889, 1905-1909) and Chancery Court (1896-1897) hearings. Also included are indices for civil dockets (1889-1894, 1907-1910). Case files consist of criminal cases 1-3606, 5803 (1852-1911) and civil cases 39-9679 (1855-1933). Large gaps may exist between case files. Many criminal and civil case are unnumbered. Many of the civil cases after 1915 are not part of this collection. Other court material consists of jury records, bonds, and summons. Additional material for Socorro County can be found in the Bernalillo County District Court records.
Some materials in Spanish
Some materials in Spanish
- 1851-1933 (Bulk 1851-1919)
Language of Materials
English, and Spanish.
Outsized record books are extremely fragile. Use microfilm only.
Limited duplication allowed for research purposes. User is responsible for all copyright compliance.
Socorro County, New Mexico was established in 1850 and formed part of the 3rd Judicial District of the United States Territorial Courts in New Mexico. In subsequent years Socorro County was transferred from the 3rd to the 2nd Judicial District (1868), from the 2nd to the 5th Judicial District (1889), and from the 5th to the 7th Judicial District (1909). Upon statehood in 1912, the Territorial Courts became the New Mexico District Courts.
77.5 linear feet + 60 v. + 14 rolls
The collection is organized into six series:
- I. Docket Books
- II. Record Books (Journals)
- III. Miscellaneous Record Books
- IV. Miscellaneous Records
- V. Criminal Case Files
- VI. Civil Case Files
- New Mexico State Records Center and Archives
- Archives and Historical Services Division
- 1205 Camino Carlos Rey
- Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505
- Phone: 505-476-7908
- Fax: 505-476-7909
- Email: email@example.com
- URL: http://www.state.nm.us/cpr/ahsd_top.htm
- Bonds (legal records)
- Civil procedure -- New Mexico -- Socorro County
- Criminal procedure -- New Mexico -- Socorro County
- Equity pleading and procedure -- New Mexico -- Socorro County
- Judicial records
- Jury -- New Mexico -- Socorro County
- Lawyers -- New Mexico -- Socorro County
- Legal files
- Socorro County (N.M.) -- History
- Socorro County (N.M.) -- Politics and government -- 1848-1950
- State government records
- Territorial records
- Trial and arbitral proceedings
- Inventory of the Records of the United States Territorial and New Mexico District Courts for Socorro County, 1851-1933 (Bulk 1851-1919)
- Edited Full Draft
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- June 28, 2004: PUBLIC "-//New Mexico State Records Center and Archives//TEXT (US::Nm-Ar::1976-031::Records of the United States Territorial and New Mexico District Courts for Socorro County )//EN" "nmar1976-031.sgml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
- Monday, 20210524: Attribute normal is missing or blank.